• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pre-made washes and filters

shaggy

Hey all-
I was looking through some recent issues of MMiR and I keep seeing the pre-made filters and washes from a certain company being used by the authors. My LHS has these, but they are all $14 each, for something you can easily make yourself. So, I was wondering, how many of us out there use these pre-made mixes? Are they truly that superior to traditional "do it yourself" washes and filters? I'm not criticizing or complaining, I'm just curious how many people use them and why.

Shaggy :dude

wether they are superior or not i will not say what i can tell you however is that i stick with my own mixes the reason being is that i have become used to their consitency and effects.

I've normally made my own washes, glazes and filters but I'm rather keen to try the MIG/SIN filters and will be ordering as soon as a buddy has stock :)

i'm doin a bit of testing for my local model shop on these products at the moment will let you all know how it turns out

I've tried Sin filters - and my own mixes of oil paint and artist white spirit.

I have found that the oil paint and artist white spirit mix is superior for me.

Whether this result comes down to my execution, style or how I use them I don't know.

But I just can't get as smooth a result with the Sin filters. I end up with brush marks.

Cheers,

Jase.

hi

sounds intresting, I must try them. I know Pigments from my oilpainting time and was surprised about the prices from MIG and the other companys....

greets Mirko

I am surprised the premade washes have got that price tag.

It would be interesting to get a hold of at least 1 of the premade washes and experiment.

I prefer using my own washes .
the readily available products such as the oil paints mixed with white spirit,
mig pigments diluted down and the pastel chalks I cant complain about the results :)
Its good to use these 3 variations on a model because it creates depth in the appearance.

Michael

Back