• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Midway. A two hour semi-historical movie

Paulw

I took a friend of mine to see the newest Hollywood sensation yesterday. In the world of CGI I thought that this would be an exceptional production but it turned out to be another attempt to document history as Hollywood sees it. Now don't misunderstand me. As far as Hollywood goes it turned out to be more historically minded that Ben Aflack's Pearl Harbor was. First of all in that respect it wasn't a love story and as far as time lines of history is concerned it stayed about 70% accurate. The film industry needs to embellish their productions with as much action and suspense as possible in order to cover up their lack of research. This borders on making a good film campy.

The film basically covers the leadership of Dick Best, Admiral Halsey and Admiral Nimitz on the US side and Admiral Yamamoto from the Japanese side. About 80% of the films action sequence is CGI and in that sense it was interesting but you could really tell where the real film left off and the CGI began. I am most thankful that the characters were not portrayed bigger than life and with much bravado which gave the film a much more believable story line.

Is the movie worth the money? I think so just don't go in there expecting to see a colorized version of "Victory at Sea". I think that if you do go see it you will be fairly entertained. Just take the film at its face value. Just enjoy a good film.

Thanks for the movie review Paul. I usually just wait for them to come out on blue ray anymore. Watch while building.

I went today also, I enjoyed it for the most part. Been a long time since this crusty ol' guy been to the movies, about got fed up with 25 minutes of previews.

Anywho, I didn't like the way the portrayed Dick Best as some top gun "mavrick" character, those guys had enough character without hollywooding it up.

I get what you're saying about the CGI but they have to make it interesting to the video game generation, they have to have those zeros flying between the mast of battleship row and not several hundred feet above which would have been more real.

Did you get a kick out of seeing John Ford portrayed on Midway screaming "Keep Filming!!"

I could not get passed my prejudice seeing "Woody" playing Nimitz, just didn't work for me but what do I know.

From the movie's point of view the Navy only had SBDs, didn't see anything of the PBYs or Wildcats. It was interesting to see they represented the B26s making a run on the Jap Fleet.

Like I said to Eric and Bruce, it wasn't Tora Tora Tora but it wasn't Pearl Harbor either.

There were Devastators in there as well. My most major beef was seeing Ens. Gay being captured by the Japanese when he was actually rescued the next day. Anyway, it was entertaining and I liked the way Woody portrayed Nimitz. My biggest question through the whole movie was why the enlisted men had pressed uniforms and the officers looked as if they have been sleeping in them for a week after a hard nights liberty in Olongapo. :drunk :drunk :drunk :drunk

I missed Gay getting captured, agree, why would the movie do that.

I noticed the uniforms also, even the guys in Washington looked like they just rolled out of bed. :rotf And the uniforms didn't look like they fit well.

Ok , a lot of groaning over something that just came out of Hollywood . Seriously, what did you expect :idonno

If you wanted something historical , why did you not watch the history channel or go explore the Texas Battleship ?

The wife an I went to see it and yes the airplanes the flying and the uniforms were wonky .

On the other hand my wife had a different perspective seeing as she knows little about those things .

First it came right on Veteran's day weekend which in it's own way a sort of displayed to the upcoming generations about our history which is no longer tough in schools .

All these people even though not historically correct were depicted in what was the turning battle of the war with the Japanese . Even the lacking in blood and guts was lacking which I'm sure was far from the real thing .

It does however depict how close that battle could have gone either way except maybe for some Divine intervention and the courage of a lot of young men defending our nation .

Strangely enough there have been reports of stranding ovations in some theater. When is the last time any of you have witness a positive moment concerning our country .

So, this is my unsought for review . That was Hollywood but a big thank you to those who the stories are about and who served and to the many brave souls that never came home .

hdb1e626.jpg

You're right Chris, guess it's like judging models, we get focused on the technical and the negative and not look at the overall.

I did give it a good rating after all.

I thought it was a pretty good movie with exception of some pretty glaring mistakes. For a CGI production the fact that almost all the battleships on battleship row had tripod masts when there were only three historically caught my eye right off the bat. The little girl watching the attack appeared to be viewed from Ford island would not have been correct for the period. There was no base housing on Ford island near battleship row. The U.S. planes shot down after the attack were wildcats from the Enterprise not SBD's and it was a whole flight not just two. In fact little or no wildcats can be seen in the movie at all. The ship sinking at the battle of Coral Sea a Yorktown type aircraft carrier was shown sinking not the Lexington. There were other little mistakes, but on the whole it was pretty good. It sort of reminded me of a comic book version of events where details were not important.

I would see it again.

B)

I thought it was a pretty good movie with exception of some pretty glaring mistakes. For a CGI production the fact that almost all the battleships on battleship row had tripod masts when there were only three historically caught my eye right off the bat. The little girl watching the attack appeared to be viewed from Ford island would not have been correct for the period. There was no base housing on Ford island near battleship row. The U.S. planes shot down after the attack were wildcats from the Enterprise not SBD's and it was a whole flight not just two. In fact little or no wildcats can be seen in the movie at all. The ship sinking at the battle of Coral Sea a Yorktown type aircraft carrier was shown sinking not the Lexington. There were other little mistakes, but on the whole it was pretty good. It sort of reminded me of a comic book version of events where details were not important.

I would see it again.

B)

You caught more than I did and I agree, I'd watch it again, without the 30 minutes of trailers.

Just keep in mind the target audience are people who really have zero point of reference when it comes to WWII historical events (which is sad). So just introducing them to this time period in history with a generalized overview is better then nothing.

Just my$0.02
:v
Afterthought: I wonder how many youngins even realize the impact WWII had on the standard of living that most take for grant today. :(

Just keep in mind the target audience are people who really have zero point of reference when it comes to WWII historical events (which is sad). So just introducing them to this time period in history with a generalized overview is better then nothing.

Just my$0.02
:v
Afterthought: I wonder how many youngins even realize the impact WWII had on the standard of living that most take for grant today. :(

You're right of course. Most don't have a clue about any of it. That's why I said it was a comic book approach. That's how it came to me back in the day. It's only us geeks who see the discrepancies.

Did you get to go on board ? Unfortunately , my only time there , it was closed .

Cheers, Christian B)

It is permanently closed Chris. A lot of people were out there but no one on board. Saw a guy taking pictures with a very nice camera setup so I asked him what the deal is. He said it's been closed for some time and there are plans to dry dock it and move it for restoration. Reading the Wiki, they have been talking about doing it for 10 years.

I couldn't help to notice the entire San Jacinto park looked to be not well maintained. I'll post up more of my South Houston tour tomorrow.

Not to mention the fact that the History Channel these days only seems to show Alien shows on any given day. ;)

I've been down with the flu but hope to see it soon...

Did you get to go on board ? Unfortunately , my only time there , it was closed .

Cheers, Christian B)

It is permanently closed Chris. A lot of people were out there but no one on board. Saw a guy taking pictures with a very nice camera setup so I asked him what the deal is. He said it's been closed for some time and there are plans to dry dock it and move it for restoration. Reading the Wiki, they have been talking about doing it for 10 years.

I couldn't help to notice the entire San Jacinto park looked to be not well maintained. I'll post up more of my South Houston tour tomorrow.

I forgot Bob. Last time we got a lecture on the North Carolina , the guy told us that the Texas had sprung a leak in the keel and would have to be dry docked to repair it .
What a shame :(

Cheers, Christian B)

I went today also, I enjoyed it for the most part. Been a long time since this crusty ol' guy been to the movies, about got fed up with 25 minutes of previews.

I've been reading a great book about ways to deal with that. I can send you an E-copy if you like........ :woohoo:

Hey I actually went to see it and it was hood but I thought the CGI was kinda cheap-o, of course my standard there would the Avengers movie, and I'm pretty sure they didn't have that kinda budget.

Funny that MP mentions Pearl Harbor. Terrible movie, but at least it had Kate Beckinsale, hard to go wrong there. The one question in my mind, if you recall that movie: Remember the love scene on the parachute waiting to be packed? I wonder who got that chute and if they were thinking 'I wonder why my chute won't open....?"

Overall the movie was decent but I'm not likely to rent it

I've been reading a great book about ways to deal with that. I can send you an E-copy if you like........ :woohoo:

Hey I actually went to see it and it was hood but I thought the CGI was kinda cheap-o, of course my standard there would the Avengers movie, and I'm pretty sure they didn't have that kinda budget.

Funny that MP mentions Pearl Harbor. Terrible movie, but at least it had Kate Beckinsale, hard to go wrong there. The one question in my mind, if you recall that movie: Remember the love scene on the parachute waiting to be packed? I wonder who got that chute and if they were thinking 'I wonder why my chute won't open....?"

Overall the movie was decent but I'm not likely to rent it

Geez I haven't rented an movie in ten years so I guess I won't either, but it will probably in my collection.

Back