• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/350 Bismarck.

ausf

Master at Arms
First off, I need to apologize for my absence lately. The Summer modeling drag turned into a major shop refit, which turned into back problems which is leaving me high and dry.

My son has settled at Webb and is living large (If you consider living in a mansion on the ocean, sailing and shooting skeet almost daily, large. I sure do). Part of the perks of a school like that is they attract guest lecturers than are deep into the subject of ship design. A few weeks back, the speaker was the author of what's considered the definitive book on the Bismarck, a man who not only interviewed surviving crew and Kreigsmarine higher ups, he was involved with James cameron and finding the wreck. He got to sit down and ask a bunch of questions, including if he thought the two behemoths were a waste of resources that could have been better used for U-boats (that's my boy!). Of course I had to order the book.

hbb8850b.jpg

Another perk of a school focused on just dual degrees (Naval Architecture and Naval Design and Engineering), they all have the same classes and schedule, so they're given big work stations and the professors come to them. So he has plenty of space, he's taken all my Clay Blair books on subs as well as everytime else I had WWII naval related for his desk.

I'm thinking about building a Bismarck for him to display, whether it's at his space or somewhere else at the school (they have an English pub that they brought over in pieces from the UK).

So my question is, does the Tamiya build up nicely without having to get all the AM or would I be better off with the 1/200 Trumpeter?

These are naval people, not modelers so I don't think small inaccuracies are too big of a deal, but I want to also build a nice rep or the ship (or the Tirpitz).

Thanks!

Thats sounds like an inspiring build and the background story is just fascinating!
Unfortunately I know bumkis about which kits is better, but since I'm a tamiya fanboy I would say go with them...if that helps.

:captain

I have the 1/200 Arizona from Trumpy and can say it misses the boat on accuracy all over. It can be fixed with a LOT of work. As to the 1/200 Trumpy Bismark, ask Laurence (White Wolf) as he has one in process, though it seems that it has issues as well.

I currently have some 1/350 kits that I want to sell and would let you have then reasonable. Three battleships, Old Tamiya Yamato and Missouri and a Trumpy Alabama, 2 carriers, Trumpy Hornet and Yorktown, and the Titanic. Send me a PM if you are interested.

I say build which ever one you want to. No one is going to care if the number port holes in the hull is wrong or the deck planking pattern is wrong. All kits have flaws. The eternal search for the perfect kit is like tilting at windmills. Go big I say!

B)

I say build which ever one you want to. No one is going to care if the number port holes in the hull is wrong or the deck planking pattern is wrong. All kits have flaws. The eternal search for the perfect kit is like tilting at windmills. Go big I say!

B)

This.

I heard me having a go at the 1/200 Trumpy Bismy was mentioned :D

Now, I agree with the gentlemen here, go big if you can.

I did my research and still doing it, whenever I come across something, I usually save it for future reading. There's a website k-bismarck.com or something similar, with information and photos. As with everything else, Bismarck's elements, shapes, forms, colors (in particular) have been the subject of much debate and, at times, clash of personalities and claims on who has more expertise in the field. Some folks, who published materials on the Bismarck would refuse to even listen to other opinions. Bitter, really ....

The point of all of the above is this - personally, I am doing all the due diligence thing, do research, get the idea, information etc, without getting bogged down in pointless arguments about the shape / size and color of the tiniest piece of something on whatever I am building.

For the 1/200 version, Trumpeter has done a good job, however, if you really want it a stunning model, I would suggest to get the aftermarket kit containing a ton of pieces, most important ones being all the gun barrels. With a thing that is over 1,000 mm long, the big guns stick out big time, everyone will see those and a turned barrel is the best option.

There is very little in terms of rigging for example, and your patience and skill will definitely be challenged - you cannot imagine the amount of PE in the kit and the aftermarket if you go for it.

Either way, should be fun. It certainly is for me, even though I had to put this on hold, due to us relocating to another city. Some photos attached, to give you an idea of what you're up against in the 1/200 adventure.

h7e06f50.JPG

The kit comes beautifully packed - hull is in one piece (except for a small part at the bow (strange)see below.

hb657ded.JPG

hb22a401.JPG

Some of the PE in the MK1 aftermarket.

hacee855.JPG

SOME of what's ahead in the build :D

With all this being said, it's all worth it, well, at least I think it is ...

h9cec40c.JPG

h511d43a.JPG

h4401f2b.JPG

Good luck !!!

Laurence

Sold!

Thanks Laurence.

Yeah, this'll be displayed at his workstation (or elsewhere) at one of the US's top Naval Engineering schools, not a time to skimp.

Side note, he was hanging out at the school pub Monday night and the president stopped by with his dog (both live on campus). They were talking and it turns out his dean when he went there was a lead scientist on the Manhattan Project.

Pretty impressive place. Now that Naval Architecture was deemed the most valuable degree to get in the US, I think my kid lucked out. Not that it was easy, this year was the largest group of applicants to date, but I have a feeling it's no longer under the radar, being listed in the top ten tuition free colleges, the applicant pool is going to be huge. I questioned him hard on turning down Cooper Union to go here, but boy did he make the right move. He's currently setting up his internship in January at Electric Boat. He's hooked on subs.

How long is the kit?

This is what I can share about the kit - The box is in storage, but I would guess it be 1,300mm long (a bit less maybe, but not much). If you look at the bill of materials sort of speak, you'll be amazed at what you get for the $$$.

Scale: 1:200
Model Brief:
Length: 1265mm Beam: 181mm
Total Parts: 1700+
Metal Parts: anchor chain , propeller shaft
Photo Etched Parts: 13 pcs
Total Sprues: 45 sprues, hull, decks and superstructure
Paint Schemes: German Bismarck Battleship
More Features: One-piece hull made from two-directional slide molds

- The Deck is a single piece casting
- 4 sprues for 4 Ar196 w/ fine details.
- Accurately detailed gun
- 13 pieces of photo etched frets for handrais, ladders, radar parts etc.
- Contains display stand
Bonus : A full structure main gun turret with two metal gun barrel

h605f8ef.JPG

Excellent choice !!! :drinks :drinks :drinks

As a Naval Architect myself, I hereby formally congratulate your son for his choice - it's awesome :D

Laurence

Thanks Laurence.

Yeah, he went to a two week engineering program last summer at Stevens Tech and got to design a hull in CAD and have it cut, then water tested (he made a PT). He was hooked. We looked into schools and the top choices were Webb and MIT. My wife's uncle went to Annapolis (retired a Rear Admiral) and then MIT and had nothing but praise for Webb, thinking it a better choice and it's proving to be.

He'll get a dual degree in Architecture and Engineering. He's already been to meetings in Manhattan of the Society of Naval Engineers and Architects, is set to intern at a shipyard in a few months, will work this summer in one, next year they intern on ships, the following two years in firms overseas. Theres only 28 kids in his class, just over a hundred in whole school, so they really work as a team. Their side gig is to man and ferry Billy Joel's yachts (he lives next to Webb on the Sound). Down side is failure is not an option, if you fall behind and you're gone.

It's perfect for him, with his love of history and life goal to live/work in Japan and Scandinavia.

You're most welcome.

That is really impressive, I hope it all works out for him. Commitment is a huge thing, without it, you would never finish what you started.

Good luck with it all - I love ships and history and models - it so happened that I also love the world of IT, and the chance to do all of it together was, to a certain extent, taken away from me despite fighting back. I don't regret it, it's only a matter of "it could have been a fairy tale, but it's really great anyway".

Cheers :drinks

Laurence

Back