• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Anybody remember Combat?

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
David Harper, who passed away back in 2010, gave me this. No idea where he got it, I've never seen it anywhere other than this one, but, it's a great likeness of Vic Morrow, Sgt. Saunders from the 1960s TV series, "Combat". I would guess it to be about 1/4th scale. It's about 10 inches tall.

One day, I'll get around to painting it!

IMG_4864.JPG

Bob

Wow, looks like it was cast doesn't it?

Excellent likeness, so when do we start?

It is a rough casting. The detail is there but the bottom, (Top), of the casting is really amateurish. I doubt it was done by a professional.

When do we start?

Well, let's see. When i get the MGTC finished on Mike's campaign, then, after Logistics is finished and the other two in line after that, well................... :)

Dad

I too liked that series! IIRC, Vic Morrow died on set, a helicopter used as an operating prop fell on him. I think director John Landis was doing some kid of funny business that wasn't funny, and the end result killed to other actors as well. that series also had Robert Altman, who I am thinking was later the famed Director, and Burt Kennedy, who I think directed the John Wayne movie "War Wagon"

Yes I remember.....

h413105a.jpg

(y)

You know Terry, I always liked the episodes with Vic Morrow better than those with Rick Jason!

Sgt. Saunders was always more interesting that Lieutenant Hanley.

Did everybody know what happened to Rick Jason? He too had a violent end to his life. He committed suicide in 2000 with a gunshot to the head. No note, his relatives said he was despondent over personal matters.

a008.jpg

Bob

Yes I remember.....

h413105a.jpg

(y)

And I thought Christopher George was BA taking out Tigers with .50. Vic did it with a Thompson. :rotf

Except he took out an M-41... :rotf

Odd side note: did you know that, despite the Thompson's popularity in movies, & lionized by gun fans, it was not well regarded by the troops who actually carried it? I am referring to the line infantrymen, not vehicle-borne troops of any type. Reason? Mostly, that of weight. the gun weighed 10lbs empty (add 1.5 pounds+ for a loaded magazine), and with the mags, much more. though it was appreciated in close-in fights and by tank, vehicle, and airborne, those that actually carried it for some distance did not care for the heavy weight combined with the relatively short effective range. This was particularly true in the Pacific theater. The Garand, though only having an 8-round capacity, weighed slightly less, the ammo weighed much less, yet had a much-much greater effective range.

eh...food for thought.

Back