• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Anyone here into RC modeling?

ausf

Master at Arms
I was looking over my RC tanks and I'm not sure if I ever asked if anyone else here ran them.

I have a bunch of Tamiya 1/16s that are setup for IR battle, but haven't used them in years, since the kids got older and the local club closed. I switched to boats and subs, AC was too temperamental here in the Hudson Valley, winds generally only cooperated in the very early morning or evening.

hfc47868_2019-06-22.jpg

h4de17d3.jpg

h27b2011_2019-06-22.jpg

h60dedf4.jpg

I did aircraft RC many years ago, but it was too frustrating having to wait my turn to fly at the club field in Tulsa. Then other things came along and I gave it up. These days it is more fun to fly on the computer. Things blow up and nothing breaks or costs an arm and leg to fix. All the RC stuff I did have went in the dumpster years ago.

Have got a chopper sitting in a box,have flown it a few times but the part's are expensive an tricky to get if you plow it in. :pilot :bang head

I too did some RC flying but never a serious hobby for me, was great fun with an indoor electric helicopter to terrorize the wife’s cat with but, since the cat passed away (unrelated to rc aircraft) I haven’t done any of that either...now that I think of it I’m a bit of a butt head!

I've been known to participate in that pastime. Spending tomorrow helping with the scoring at a glider contest. Here's the part of my website that concerns R/C aircraft:

http://goldeneramodel.com/gems/gems.htm

Here is the latest kit I've produced, a Carl Goldberg Clipper MK II, 72 inch span.

136clippermk2logo.jpg

Nice to hear, thanks guys.

That Clipper is beautiful John. When I was kid in NYC, a LHS worked with the Parks Dept to setup a flying field with bleachers and everything, but I couldn't afford to get anywhere near the hobby then, at best it was stick and tissue control line. In High School, a buddy and I talked a teacher into letting us do a special engineering project, building a RC plane. Of course being kids with no guidance and constrained to 40 minute sessions, we never came close to finishing it.

So as an adult with kids, I was determined to get into it. We started with the Ultra Micro foamies and really had a blast. After a long learning curve to get to 4 channel, we had some wild dogfights. We tried a few larger planes, but quickly ran out of space. The local clubs weren't that welcoming and I ended up leaning towards free flight peanut scale. The guys into it were really friendly and there was something interesting about the difficulty of being simple.

The town we live in now has a beautiful reservoir set up for recreational use, so boats, subs and tanks became the RC focus, since they were much more accessible. And rockets. My youngest ended up entering a National Rocketry Competition every year for the past 5 or 6 now, they have to build a rocket from scratch that performs to that years specifics guidelines for altitude, distance, payload and recovery. The first year they landed within a foot of qualifying for the finals, but haven't been that close since. It's not easy for teams in the Northeast, the window for practice is pretty slim. Usually the winners hail from the dry, flat warm states where they have ideal conditions for most of the year.

At least for me, RC had a fringe benefit: My son took a shine to boat hull design, he even did his Calculus term project on Hydrofoils and ended up in one of the best Naval design schools in the world.

That's great, applying his hobby to real world. :popcorn

We were talking about those stick and tissue kits yesterday John, called them ream men models. :rotf

I went to a meet of a group that took stick and tissue to an art form. It was at an indoor soccer arena. These guys scratch built these peanut scale free flight planes (similar to 1/24 I'd guess) that were rubber powered. They're built to circle and land. The longest flight wins. They were wound to the same amount using a counter, then handed back to the pilot for launch. We're talking loooooooong flights that have to end on the landing gear all on their own, no controls beyond the way they built the surfaces. Talk about skill.

Yeah, Hip Pocket is a good one. Those of us who fly R/C may be too dumb to fly rubber power! I do try it from time to time, and did a kit for a few local clubs earlier this year:

Chieftain1600.jpg

Back