• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Memory Lane

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
It seems I am always digitalizing photos from our collection of 50 photo albums or our boxes of loose photos in the garage as my daughter Gail likes to see them. This morning I found a photo that I had all but forgotten. It was taken in 1972. I had been building models then for 27 years and I read in a magazine about a "diorama". I had never seen one but it was described as a scene using buildings, vehicles and figures from WW II and was in 1/35th scale. Model stuff was rare as hell back then! :)

So, I went to the lumber yard and bought materials to build three "dioramas", each 12 " X 24" in size. The photo is of one of them, set in Russia during the winter. Another was a desert scene with the Afrika Korps. Then, the third was my most daring, it was of Germany and I built three buildings out of cardboard and veneered with matt board. I used vehicles and figures I had already built and wasn't very happy with the results. The German city dio was the only one I liked, so I pitched the other two and focused on it. A buddy who lived across the street came over one day and I showed it to him. He was so impressed that it shocked me. He seemed to think much more highly of it than I did. However, I remember now he said, "Why don't you get a large sheet of plywood and make it into a city"?

I went out and bought train board and lumber to brace it and began building. I used the three buildings and then built more and more. That became the "Winds of War". I took it to an IPMS National convention that happened to be in St. Louis in 1982, it won big and that was how the whole thing came to be.

Scan_copy_15.jpeg

Thanks for posting the photo Bob! While at Okla State in the late 70's Monogram started coming out with the 1/48 aircraft (we all know which ones) I started building them and they ended up hanging in my dorm room. Also built several which ended up at the hobby shop that was in Sillwater at that time. Sad to say AquaMart is gone now. Pet Smart and Hobby Lobby pushed them out of business back about 2007.

Back