• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Well, that's progress...

Gator

At Ian's last neurology appointment we were able to get him off of another seizure medicine. At one time he was up to five very potent medications. After he weaned of the last one we took him off of, we noticed a lot more cognitive behavior. He started singing along to songs on the radio, whether he knows them or not, which is funny. His grades are great. A couple of weeks ago a high school classmate called me to ask if I wanted some model kits. An in law of his had passed away and they were cleaning out the house and they found some kits. I said yes and he said he would send them to me. Well, there were 7 kits, two of them snap and screw together, one of a P-51 and the other of a Bf-109. Last weekend I asked Ian if he wanted to build model. His eyes lit up and he said yes. So I pulled out the P-51 and my sprue nippers and we went at it. I lined up the parts and he provided the muscle to snap and screw it together. He was excited to get to build a model. So, I went and got the Bf-109 kit and we built that one too. His grunting while he squeezed the parts together was comical. When Renee got home a while later, the first thing Ian did was show his mom what he built, no prodding from Dad. He was so proud as were we because of the progress he is making. Well, I did some looking on the internet and Gundam models are a big thing now. Bandai has a line that is 1/144 scale that is pre-painted and snap together. He should do well with these and what teen doesn't like building fighting robots.

Ian with his aircraft builds. The second one he is in the process of saying "cheese".

52917516-B227-4B48-B514-8E3553EDA5C3_zpsqqswpxr3.jpg

0F1E5D06-D06F-48C5-8B96-5B1757A376CD_zpsglbod3xi.jpg

Good on you Ian!

Modeling is proven to be a great occupational therapy for children with epileptic diseases and other disturbances like cerebral palsy, Asperger syndrom and more severe forms of autism. I wish more parents would follow your example and allow their children to try assemblying kits.

I always recommend it to patients who I think will benefit.

Good Job and congratulations.

Alex

IAN, YOU ARE THE MAN!

Praise Jesus for the progress, Please ask Mr. Ian to post his Gundam pics!

Good on you Ian!

Modeling is proven to be a great occupational therapy for children with epileptic diseases and other disturbances like cerebral palsy, Asperger syndrom and more severe forms of autism. I wish more parents would follow your example and allow their children to try assemblying kits.

I always recommend it to patients who I think will benefit.

Good Job and congratulations.

Alex

Ian did equine therapy for several years and finally got to a point where there was no more progress. He does modeling because Dad does it. I line everything up and he squeezes them parts together. When it comes to cutting the parts off the sprue, I have to make sure the cutters are lined up before he squeezes. It's really just dad and son time. His spare time consist of working with some apps on his ipad while watching tv. It's just trying find something to do with him. Movies don't hold his attention and we're limited to what we can do outside because he is a fair redhead. Also, he gets overheated easy with the hydrocephalus. Other than building models, the two things we have in common with him is we all love the dogs and we like watching baseball.

I will send you a PM to talk more about this, if you would like.

If he is interested in this activity and is able to perform it (pressing to cut, pressing to snap the parts together) there are also other occupational ways to motivate him and increase his range of Motion. Also, there is a very beneficial effect of concentrating in a Motor skill albeit for a short amount of time, since the synapses which might have been damaged by the hydrocephalus have a Chance to restablish themselves.

Above all, Dad and Son time is invaluable regardless of the activity.

I would be glad to help if I can.

All the best,

Alex

Alex, really not looking for a therapy session with this. It's just a way to spend time with him. Modeling time can be sparse. School works on his handwriting. I don't want him to get frustrated and not want to do something that we're just having fun with. With his medical history, it's nice to do things for fun.

I apologize guys. I didn’t mean to bash anyone’s offer to help with my son’s medical condition. I was just happy that my son and I had a good afternoon sharing a hobby. This was the first time in a long time we could both enjoy doing something like this. Because of the complexity of his epilepsy and the brain damage, he is pretty low key about everything. I am sorry. I’ll see you around.

Kenny nothing to be sorry about. Feel free to share anything you'd want. We're all thrilled to see Kenny and Ian time.

:mpup

Back