• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modeling on the road!

sharkman

Master at Arms
Anyone do this? I know the Zod used to do a lot. Had a set up on his rig. I’ve tried to take some of my projects with me during some of my field work but find it challenging to get much past some basic assemblies, some scratch building and sanding. It’s difficult to take the whole work bench along on trips.

Was wondering if anyone had some tips to share?

Well I think Luiz pretty much took the modeling on the road to a different level when he had his Panzer kit delivered via C130 in Antarctica...:rotf

Adam Longnecker use to do it on the road, modeling in hotel rooms. He's got a good gig now and with the patter of little feets all around the old guy, guess he didn't get chance to model much anymore. I'll see if I can dig up the post he had about that.

It is funny you mention that Warren. I have a 2 week trip to Pennsylvania in 3 weeks and was thinking about what I could do to do some building while there.

I've done a little bit over the years Warren and what I've found is simpler stuff that doesn't require a lot of assembly works better. Figures seem to work the best as they are mostly hand painted anyway. A spray can of primer and one of clear coat if your driving. Can't take those on a plane though. Brought some 1/72 scale figures with me to Seattle and while I haven't had a lot of spare time they have been a nice distraction.

When I travel and have to stay more than one night. It's one thing that can get me into relax mode.

I use a fishing tackle box for tools, glues, etc, a hard plastic container that most of the project will fit into, some square pieces of card board to cover the room desk. As for lighting I generally use the desk lamp from the hotel room, but sometimes take a small desk lamp with a LED bulb installed. These are items I take when traveling to model shows or contests.

I would not take them if I was flying.

Hope that helps.

I can take some pictures later this week if you would like.

I just ordered this workstation so I could go into the dining room and sit with Ian while he's on his iPad and watching TV. Yes, he does both successfully and keeps up with what is going on on both the TV and the iPad.

H.Work.Web_LRG_1024x1024_zpskchecpro.jpg

Hey Warren -

I've been travelling a bunch for work and decided to start taking advantage of some of the free time I spend sitting around a hotel. My basic ground rules, I don't generally paint anything and I try to take a kit from the stash that doesn't require a lot of effort or super detailing. Like a Tamiya armor kit. I have limited myself to armor kits for these adventures and I generally paint them at home later. Figures would probably be very easy to do on the road as well, just need to take some paints and brushes etc.

I put together a little tool box with most of the basic tools I need. There is plenty of room to add tools if I need to later. All the liquids are stored in zip lock bags to prevent leaking in transit and the kit and the tool box get packed in my suitcase. Since I am flying I do have to check my bag as a result but that's pretty minor.

h5a6e2f6.jpg

The only problem I have had, is the lighting in the hotel rooms. Its always very dim and since I am mostly modelling in the evenings there isn't usually any natural light. I was thinking about this the other day and I am thinking of purchasing a couple daylight LED bulbs to put in the hotel's desk lamp when I am there. They would be easier to transport, just need to remember to swap them out before I go home.

Generally this has been a great way to pass the time. I find it especially useful for cleaning and assembling individual track links. I just put on the TV and model away.

Hope this helps
Mike

I found Adam's post about it but there was no details like what his tool box is like.

Nice tool box Mike, reminds us that we don't always need the fancy stuff to knock one out.

I have all; my tools etc in a big fishing tackle box. It carries everything. Before I had a small plastic tool box which had a loop to padlock it. If you have room on the boat (assuming your going to be out with the fish) maybe take something like that and also a small tote box with foam that you can store the finished model in. You could gun tape it closed when you are moving back and forth from home to wherever and back.
I like that desk set Gator showed. That intrigues me.
James

I just ordered this workstation so I could go into the dining room and sit with Ian while he's on his iPad and watching TV. Yes, he does both successfully and keeps up with what is going on on both the TV and the iPad.

H.Work.Web_LRG_1024x1024_zpskchecpro.jpg

Where from and how much? It looks like it would be handy.
James

https://everylittlewar.com/collections/miniature-scenery/products/hobby-workstation
B)

kinda forgot about this thread!

Thanks to everyone who posted! I currently have a box with just about everything you guys had mentioned (minus paints), I was mostly just curious what others did.

mike, that looks like an interesting work centre!

It is interesting that this has popped up again as I am on the road for a couple of weeks. Made me stop and think about what I woud enjoy doing and what I could do easily.

So...

I packed up a few tools in a box, a cutting mat, and a box full of Warhammer 40k Necrons (read that as bare metal terminators) I can assemble them here as I fel like and paint them later. :good:

Back