• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bombshell Brew Paint Company

Skinny_Mike

Learned of a new paint company today (at least new to me). They are called Bombshell Brew, geared mostly toward military modelers. I have not tried them but would be interested to hear if anyone else had. Link to the website is below.

Bombshell Brew

I have a few...they are comparable to the Vallejo Model Air stuff...squeeze out what you need and spray away...no thinning really needed

I wondered when this would start to happen.

I looked into starting a paint line about 15 years ago, but was talked out of it be my lawyer. Without product liability insurance, you'd set yourself up for a nightmare. But I'm betting small companies like this never get touched because the first thing a lawyer would do would be to check the net worth and if it'd be worth going after. It was explained to me that even if you had a label that said "don't eat, you'll get a stomach ache", someone could eat it and get a stomach ache and sue. In general, back then I was told it was about $20K just to get it to the point that the judge would throw it out, hence the insurance.

Anyway, the most expensive thing about the paint in 17ml bottles is the bottle.

If you looked at color theory, you can reasonably get every shade visible from 9 or so paints. I say 'paints' because you can get every single color from 3 primaries, but the nature of paint requires some secondary and tertiary colors to pull off the mix. Most serious figure painters work with a very limited palette.

You could get a gallon of Dunkelgelb mixed at Home Depot and properly thinned, it would be the same paint as Vallejo, AK, etc. only a $25 gallon could be split up into about 230 17ml bottles. It's just more convenient to buy a bottle of Vallejo. I have a buddy who builds award winning large scale RC planes and all he uses is Behr paint through an airbrush.

I'm not hammering this company, I buy the 17ml bottles myself, I love a company named Nocturna for figure work. But Nocturna pays Vallejo to mix, bottle and wholesale it. Great colors, but it's all the same.

But that's my long winded point. I have the bottles, binder and a basement full of dry pigments to make any color I could dream of, yet I still buy Vallejo, etc for the convenience. I just won't obsess over every color because there are so many paint mixing apps you can recreate every model companies colors with paints on hand.

I get your point Jeff, back in the day, or even today I suppose. I could by X number of prebuild PCs from a vendor, have them branded with my logo and sell them, even supply tech support under that name.

Back