• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The quest for my Grail is complete.

ausf

Master at Arms
Even the last leg was a slow, Registered Mail induced slog, but it's now in my hands.

Gentlemen, the Aurora Demolition Demon:

he5d045d.jpg

h5bfe729.jpg

h7ef1e06.jpg

h27387da.jpg

h3a52b14.jpg

I remember that well! I had one, always thought the 2x4 coming out of the door was cool. Congrats on finding one!

:drinks

If you look closely at the box art, there's a jalopy with theirs broken. Dad told me it was how they knew when a vehicle was done, but I think he was just shutting me up. :rotf

I believe if you took it down, it signaled you were out.

From what I remember, everyone drove in reverse, trying to knockout the other's engines. When you couldn't move, you'd drop the stick so you didn't keep getting slammed.

So Dad wasn't shining me on. :laugh:

You ARE going to build this, right? :frantic

Actually , if this were an airplane , it might resemble my first build :rotf

Glad you found your favorite model . :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Nice Jeffrey!

I'm actually surprised the kit has a complete engine! Am I correct that I read that this kit was made to possibly convert to a slot car (or the company had planes to produce a slot car version)?

(y)

Thanks all.

By the way, pup, where did 'Jeffrey' come from? Last time I was called that I was probably getting yelled at. :D

Nice Jeffrey!

I'm actually surprised the kit has a complete engine! Am I correct that I read that this kit was made to possibly convert to a slot car (or the company had planes to produce a slot car version)?

(y)

Aurora was a major player in slot cars and this kit certainly seems to be designed for it as well. The construction keeps the chassis and body separate until the last step where it drops on. I'm hoping to be able to not glue it in place and display it either way.

That said, I'm not sure if it was sold as a slot by Aurora or slot guys just used it as a conversion. I know the fact that most of the information, etc. out there regarding the kit is in regards to slots. Probably why in 5 or 6 years I've only seen two for sale. But is laws of modeling apply, since I bought this, Atlantis will suddenly find the molds and re-release it for like $6.

In terms of the engine, the dented hood and front end expose much of the engine compartment, I guess they had to include something.

I have to say once I got to really look it over, it's very well engineered, but just as the Frankenstein kit of the same era, it's a bit harder to assemble than later kit designs. Definitely takes some creative clamping. I can't imagine how I did it as a kid. Then again, I probably spent more time washing the pieces than the entire build took 48 years ago.

Wow awesome glad you have it finaly hope you build it in the racing group build

just gotta ask how rough was those races because there is bullet holes in the drivers door

This isn't the same scale as the Aurora Slots I remember.

http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/History.html
This is what we had, we even had the rail road crossing all setup on the same ping pong table.

Halcyon days for models.....up there with Rommels Rod and the monster figures from the movies.

Ian.

Yep, got 'em all. This was the hardest to find. Original Frankensteins are everywhere, pretty cheap. Most of the others too. Only the Bride and Dr Jekyll are kind of rare.

MP, yeah the Aurora slots I remember were the 1/87 or so. Tyco and AFX too. Then I remember you'd go to a track that had bigger ones, almost like a 1/24 or 1/18. Big metal chassis with vacu formed bodies. Then there were Scalectrix (sp?) that were probably 1/32 but way out of the budget of anyone I knew.

Dad bought me (us) a 1/32 scale Strombecker race set, we wore the copper braid contacts clean off them. My buddies had the HO sets, always thought they were fun.
:good:

The one we had was flat tracked and came with two Euro style road racers. Seems like it was 1964 or so when he brought it home. :good:

Back