• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Big "C"

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
I imagine some of you noticed I haven't posted any progress on the big diorama in 7 months. I usually don't post negative things that happen to me, I've never been a pity seeker. In 2007, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I went through two kinds of radiation and was pronounced cured!

Last February, I was diagnosed with four cancers, Intestinal, Bladder, Lung and Liver. After tons of tests and biopsies, it turned out the liver was negative. So, I had surgery, an Ileostomy for the intestines in May and then, in July, after healing, another surgery to put everything back where it was. Then I underwent radiation with a Star Wars looking machine called a Cyberknife, that beams a laser like radiation directly onto the cancer in my lung without destroying surrounding healthy tissues. The Bladder cancer is of a type that is very low grade and they will only keep an eye on it as age will likely get me before it does. Now, tomorrow, I begin six months of chemo designed to destroy any free radicals still lurking in my system. Not sure yet how that will effect me, but it could be nothing serious. So far, I have withstood all the treatments well with no illness. The doctors say I am a very young and otherwise healthy 77 year old, and all looks well.

I have been in some kind of medical facility a minimum of three days a week since February. After finishing up the cyberknife treatments on November 25th, I had a 10 day break with no medical appointments, so Susan and I went to Kemah Texas, one of our favorite resort areas for a week. We had a wonderful time, really enjoyed ourselves. The treatments had resulted in weight loss, and the chemo doctor says it will as well. However, I am still at 225, so I can afford to lose some more. Here are some photos taken in Kemah and Galveston. Both our new dogs, Dancer, a doberman and Bo, a cocker, went with us!

I am hoping I will be able to get back to the bench soon and can model throughout the chemo treatment. I feel great! My only bad times physically were after the two surgeries. I have worked out at the gym and did our two mile walks throughout the last year.

Me in a Landry's seafood house on the Gulf of Mexico. Did I mention they had great wines?

Bob2C_Landry3Bs_03_good_one21.JPG

At a dog park in Kemah.

Bob2C_Library02_copy.JPG

Bob2C_Pups2C_Library_copy.JPG

The Boardwalk at Kemah, Texas at night!

Boardwalk_Christmas06_copy.JPG

Hopefully, I'll be posting progress photos again soon!

Bob

Hi Bob,

All the best wishes from downunder, looking forward to hearing that it's all behind you.

Photos look great, glad to hear you had a fantastic trip.

Let us all hope that 2019, which is around the corner, will be a much better and happier year.

Thoughts and prayers my friend :zen :zen :zen

Laurence

Dear Bob

I'm happy to see you are very well and confident. From the photos, you look very good.
I sincerely hope for your recovery. All the best for you!
Thoughts and prayers, sending!
Hope to see your fantastic works soon!

Luiz.

Dear Bob

I'm happy to see you are very well and confident. From the photos, you look very good.
I sincerely hope for your recovery. All the best for you!
Thoughts and prayers, sending!
Hope to see your fantastic works soon!

Luiz.

Impossible to have put it better or more succinctly.

Ian.

Glad to here things are going well. Let Mary and I know if you guys need anything. Remember we are right up the road.

:)

Sorry to hear of the difficulties, and glad to see that you are doing well through the tribulations. In the photos you are looking really good!

Hope the rest goes well and keep us informed. You personally are one of our mentors through this forum have become our friend so we are concerned and want the best for you and Susan.

I can only echo the others sentiments here Bob- I agree with the others that you look great in the photos from vacation- looking tough and defiant...you're our Chuck Norris sir!

From your pictures Bob, you certainly look healthy!

Keep up the battle and good luck! Live life to the fullest!

Cancer can be a real roller coaster Bob. Sounds like you're on the right track though. Prayers and best wishes for a full recovery! :zen :zen :zen

Best wishes on your continuing recovery. You certainly seem to be making the most of the situation. Cheers to that! :drinks

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm into the chemo now and so far, so good! I'm sure I'll be fine!

I'm thinking monday, I'll give the work bench a try and see how it goes. It seems like forever since the last time I picked up a paint brush!

Thanks again, I really appreciated your comments!

Bob

Good luck Bob, you look like your 'kickin the Big C's Ass' so keep up the positive approach - it makes all the difference [I think anyway].
Can't wait to see you back at the bench!

Ian.

Bob,

Having been through the wringer since last November, I applaud your strength and positive attitude.

Cancer is a monster and the battle is hard on the spirit and the body (I watched a friend battle it for 2.5 years before she said Good Bye).

So, as several others have asked me... Where are the pictures? :yipee

Be well.

Bob , I read your post with great sadness over your health issues . When one of your idols takes a hit it makes me reflect on how old I've gotten over the years watching you build . Hell , maybe that's just because I am old ....... er . I'm having my own prostate and kidney issues .
Your legacy isn't your build with the same name , it's all you've done for this hobby over the years .
It's been ages since Monogram , Revell , Italeri and the new kid Tamiya and you should be proud of your contributions to the industry and the hobby in helping in a major way to revolutionizing it to what it is today .
On the other hand I'm elated to see your progress and you're looking great !!!
I know you can kick this in the ass and come out on top !!!
Getting to know and become friends with one of your idols after following their work for all these years has been a special treat for me .
Here's to you , the hobby and many more years of modeling for the both of us :drinks

Back