• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

One step closer to my Grail.

ausf

Master at Arms
I won an auction for an Aurora Demolition Demon.

I've been looking for this kit for years. They are extremely rare, more so since the 1/32 scale makes them popular with slot cars enthusiasts.

The background story is this was my first model. It was an Easter present when I was 5. I know this because I still clearly remember finding it as part of scavenger hunt ending in the clothes dryer, in a house we moved out of in 1970. I remember cracking the box while sitting on my bunk bed, seeing the blue plastic and wondering what is this thing? You put it together?

My mother passed this summer, as she was in hospice, we talked about this kit since shortly before that I missed out on another one, a already assembled kit, missing pieces that sold for over $125 (that was my max bid). Since she was the one who gave me the kit, it's become more important to me than before, which was pretty important then.

So the one that came up now (which was the only other in a few years) was not only complete, has the box, instructions and is still on the sprues. I expected to pay through the nose as I compare it to spending a lot on some newer kits. This is more important to me than a Dora or Leo, Bismarck, etc. I kept an eye on it for 10 days, it never went above the opening bid. Plenty of watchers but one thing working in my favor I think was is was in Italy. I set aside the late afternoon today, it ended at 4PM and watched it down to the last 4 minutes and dumped my max bid and waited. A few bids crept in, it went up in small increments, then nothing. Screen went blank and I got the message I won it. Turns out the initial bidder was sniping, but capped at 97 Euros.

I was prepared to pay way more, remember earlier in the year a buildup missing parts went for more than 97 Euros, so I am stoked to be getting this for under $140 shipped. Now I just have to get my hands on it. At $30 shipping, I hope it's safe and secure. Wish me luck.

Great job! Will be a great build I'm sure.

Sorry to read about your Mom Jeffery, my condolences.

Thanks Bob. I was briefly considering just keeping it in the box, but who am I kidding, I want to build this sucker using every trick I've learned in the 48 years since the last one.

It was a sad time, but my mother went out on her own terms, true to her Viking roots.

Sorry to hear of your Mom, Jeff. It is amazing the things that stick in our minds from our childhood. Glad you were able to find your Grail kit!

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your mom as well. I'm very glad to hear that you were able top score your grail model though! my philosophy on old valuable kits is to build them! that's what they were meant for. besides, someone else is saving one somewhere!

Oh those are the best ones glad you got it mate.
I was lucky I told a friend once of a kit my grandparents gave me about 35 years ago and a few days later this showed up

h25952c0.jpg

Xmas day it gets cracked open like my previous one did

Very sorry to hear of your mother's passing. I too had that kit, I loved the damaged fenders and the demo derby details. I butchered mine, never paid any attention the scale, but it had a place on my shelf with the rest of my builds. That is of course, until one day there was a bid demo derby in my room...

Glad you found one, I'll look forward to watching your build.
:drinks

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.

I didn't mean to make this about my loss, that it just renewed my hunt, adding more urgency to it. But I guess I didn't have to explain to a bunch of modelers how I'd be willing to pay a few hundred dollars for a kit that originally sold for about two. It'd be fine with you guys even if it had no emotional value. B)

I was getting to the point that I didn't think I'd ever find one, laying my hopes on Atlantis finding the molds among the purchase.

I vaguely remember those, Jeff. I think I got one car that was like that but maybe not. All I remember is it was Christmas '63 and I got a real load of toys. Anyway this car had beat up body panels and a motor of some sort that when you ran it into a little barrier gizmo it flew apart in all directions. I lost a fender and didn't find it until about two years later when we moved. That was the year I got a Model 1896 Winchester that shot spring loaded bullets. Yeah, I was naughty.

That was the year I got a Model 1896 Winchester that shot spring loaded bullets. Yeah, I was naughty.

I remember getting one of those using Green Stamps. Same house, so I was 5 or under. Pissed off the cat, lost all the bullets. I think I lost them by sticking the shells in the fake storage thing.

That was the year I got a Model 1896 Winchester that shot spring loaded bullets. Yeah, I was naughty.

I remember getting one of those using Green Stamps. Same house, so I was 5 or under. Pissed off the cat, lost all the bullets. I think I lost them by sticking the shells in the fake storage thing.

Interesting Winchester, would like to see a pic of it. Sure you did not mean 1886 Winchester? The gun-guy in me is trying to remember the 1896, that was either a double or a pump action shotgun that had to be redesigned as it was dangerous to shoot. (the actual gun, of course)

I too am sorry for your loss. When my Mom died a few years ago, that was the dissolution of my badly dysfunctional family. I am sorry about it - the kit will bring memories for more valued than the price

Interesting Winchester, would like to see a pic of it. Sure you did not mean 1886 Winchester? The gun-guy in me is trying to remember the 1896, that was either a double or a pump action shotgun that had to be redesigned as it was dangerous to shoot. (the actual gun, of course)

I too am sorry for your loss. When my Mom died a few years ago, that was the dissolution of my badly dysfunctional family. I am sorry about it - the kit will bring memories for more valued than the price

I remember those guys, had white bullets. Of course they didn't make it past New Years before the bullets were lost.

I remember those guys, had white bullets. Of course they didn't make it past New Years before the bullets were lost.

Yep, that was it. But mine were gone within a day I think since I was doing my best Chuck Connors and stuck them in the slot above the trigger never to see the light of day again.

Come to think about it it may have been a 94

Back