• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Took in some memories last week!

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
We haven't done any traveling this year, but we just went back to St. Louis where we lived for a half century to visit old friends, both the human kind as well as locations. The original Hofbrauhaus in Munich Germany that I have visited many tomes, has built a modern replica in the St. Louis area. We met up with Wes Bradley, a longtime friend and MA member to throw down some great German brew!

Bob2CWes2C_HBH.JPG

I haven't tasted beer like this since the last time i was in Munich.

HB_Beer.JPG

Then we took a photo of where the old Mastercon conventions were once held. The Holiday Inn Convention center has been torn down and replaced with a Comfort Inn. Kinda sad, but that's progress!

Old_Mastercon2.JPG

Then to St. Charles tourist center, Main street, where the Miniature World Museum stood for many years. It is now a restaurant. We had dinner there and walked around inside looking. Many of the things that were there back in the museum days are still there. It was a nostalgic visit. Susan sitting in a booth where the old gift shop used to be.

Susan_Tony_s.JPG

Same place, me!

Bob_Tony_s.JPG

And finally, we got together with Wes Bradley and Chris Merseal of the old CRM hobbies, no longer in existence, for a meal and to talk over some great times together!

Bob2CWes2CChris.JPG

Really enjoyed this trip down memory lane. Hard to believe we moved away from here three years ago!

Bob

Does Chris always have that Hawaiian shirt on?

Thanks for sharing Dad. Glad to see everyone. (y)

Does Chris always have that Hawaiian shirt on?

Thanks for sharing Dad. Glad to see everyone. (y)

As long as I have known Chris, and that goes back nearly 40 years, he has always worn a T-shirt and an open Hawaiian shirt. It's his trademark! :laugh:

We had a great time even though it was cold and snowing!

Dad

And what compliments beer better than wurst (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

I've tried wurst all over America and never found any that was close to the German wurst. (My computer doesn't have any umlauts Christian, or if does, I can't find them)?

The Wiesswurst we had there were exactly like the ones I used to love in Bavaria! My favorite has always been Thuringer Bratwursts, unfortunately, they didn't have them!

When I was in the army, we used to drive from Verdun France to the German border just to buy those Brats and some good German beer!

There is also a lot of great food from Belgium I can't get over here. Pistoles, those big round chewy bread rolls, Stoofvlees poured over Belgian Fries, OMG! And so much more! I think you can now get Duvel Beer over here, but not sure it's the same.

Bob

Thanks for the post Bob! I do some of the same kind of things when I go back to Tulsa. Different places but same kind of feelings. I try to go back and have lunch with some of my old co-workers if I am back during the work week. The old original folks that started the company have passed on but the second generation (no family relations) have taken over and built on it.

I was in my early 20's when I started working with those folks and am now in my 60's The guy that was my co draftsman back then stepped up took a bunch of night courses and bought the business from the original owner and has built it up a bit. Several folks working there now were kids back in day of other folks that worked there.

The extended family you choose..... :good:

Back