• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

German Shepards

jknaus

Administrator
Anyone know of questions to ask a breeder of Pure German Shepards? I'm aware of the hips, but any other questions?
Thanks in advance.
James

Oops, thought you meant scale dogs... I know Kenny Loup dealt with some breeders.

Regards,

I don't have experience specific to Shepherds, but I went through an exhaustive search for my Lab.

I wanted a specific type, field not bench. They're also known as English or American. It's not some patriotic bend, but the American Labs are the taller ones with the long snout, English are the stockier ones with the shorter snout. My previous one was American and I that's what I wanted again.

Problem is there were very few breeders within 400 miles that dealt with American.

Anyway, my requirements for a breeder was that they had to be a family operation, owned the females and only had one or two litters a year in total, not the dog itself. It was also important that I could visit their operation.

I found two that hit all points. On was a large family with a farm, the other an older couple with a lot of space. (both about 3 hours away). The one I went it, the older couple not only were great, but as many if not more questions for me being qualified as an owner as I did for them. They were planning two litter that season, one red, one silver. I had know idea Labs even came in those colors, but I didn't care I just wanted a field.

So I had to put a deposit on one and a claim before they were even pregnant. I was already down to third male for the red, so I went with second male silver. Not only was a visit allowed, but required repeatedly. We actually picked the dog from the litter at 2 weeks, which was amazing. My whole family sat with a pile of 11 pups and let them climb over us to make the choice. Then were fed (hilarious because they all fell asleep in a hump as they were eating), then played with them again, never being rushed, sitting in these peoples home having tea for hours. They had ribbons around their necks, we put in our choice of two but had to wait for the first choice to make theirs. We ended up with ours, he was the first to climb on us, my wife still has video of it.

We picked him up at 5 or 6 weeks (can't remember exactly), when all went to their homes. It was Halloween weekend, 6 years ago this month. Here he is the day we got him:

he885aba_2018-10-15.jpg

While searching I found out some interesting things. I lot of 'local' breeders actually buy their dogs from puppy mills elsewhere and they're shipped to need.

That's why I wanted to stick with a family that wasn't doing it for a living. Easy was $700, AKC registered, so I doubt they even made much in the end. They were also well sort after, not someone trying to get rid of puppies, but completely sold before they were even born. This family was very popular with hunters which kind of shows they had a quality operation. That's where most of the reds went.

Anyway, that's my experience and advice, go with your gut, not out of a sense of urgency. Our first Lab Dryden, we just found in an ad, they were nearby, had a few pups left and we went to see them. They were a young family of four, the female was their pet, they were concerned about us too and not only sat down and talked for a while, but gave us food, voucher for shots and kept in touch afterwards. That's where I got it in my head it was the way to go anytime in the future.

In the end Easy is amazing, straight up pure Lab: smart, friendly and waterproof.

I forgot to add this regarding hips. Labs are known for the issue too and I always asked about it. We had a great Vet for a while and he said it's not much of a concern if the dog gets exercise. Muscle keeps the joint tight, which proved correct with Dryden. he had rear legs the size of hams and hiked up to 14 without any hip problems.

The other point is about breeders claims. A lot of them would say they things regarding hips, etc. but I don't give them much weight unless they are familiar with all the dogs involved. The breeder we used for Easy not only had certification of free of hip dysplasia of both dogs, she also said she only breeds calm dogs.

I thought that was a claim too far, Labs aren't calm dogs by any stretch and a silver is actually a diluted chocolate, which are known as the craziest of the three Lab categories (reds are yellows and blacks are just black). But damn is she was true to her her words. This dog is so calm we thought there was something wrong with him at first.

The first time we took him swimming he walked into the water up to his chest and looked back at us as if to say 'well, you going to throw a stick or something or is this it?'

Making sure that the parents and the pups are tested for hip and elbow problems is a good place to start but also ask about temperament and socialization. And when you do decide on a pup and get him/her home, you must assume the role of the pack leader and discipline accordingly. GSDs are loving and loyal dogs, but they are highly intelligent and will assume the role of pack leader when the owner is lenient. In other words, you have to be smarter than the dog.

1) Are all of your dogs OFA certified (or had their hips and elbows checked) prior to breeding?
2) How do you place puppies? (Do you give them whichever one catches their eye, match the puppy's temperament to a prospective owner, etc.?)
3) Is a health guarantee offered with puppies?
4) What comes with the puppy, regarding guarantees, pedigree, and other papers?
5) How often do puppies become available?
6) At what age do you let puppies go to their new homes?
7) How are the puppies handled? Are they socialized? Have they been exposed to different people, animals, surfaces, sounds, smells, being touched, kids...you get the point.
8) Will have have their first shots.

Something else too when it comes to hips, look at the parents, if they stand like a regular dog and not that sloped show dog, there will be less of a chance for hip problems. Also by watching their weight you can help with joint problems. You want to be able to feel their ribs but not see them. German Shepherds take two years to mature, both physically and mentally. I was worried about Gunner's hips because when he was surrendered to us he did have a slight slope to his back. Now that he has matured, that has gone away.

Thanks guys. I asked the questions and had a good conversation with the breeder last night. Looking very much like I will be going to pick up a little boy end month. 99.99 % sure.
Full breed German Shepard working dog. Family great health etc. Now I just have to figure out this raw stuff. That's how they feed all their dogs. I've always used dry food. They are sending me info so I can figure it out and checking for reputable providers up my way. Its nice, they give military, vets and police a discount.

he8e4140.jpg

This may be the fella. They have three they think may be suited and will have to wait till we meet.
James

Sweet!

Best of luck James.

In terms of food, do your research. we fed Dryden one food for 14 years and he lived a full and active life right until the end with no issues except cuts and scrapes running through the woods.

Easy is on the same track. We've been rotating Lamb, Salmon and Chicken as his protein sources in a holistic dry food, but Labs are one of two breeds that are genetic incapable of knowing they are full so they stay perpetually hungry.

I've heard about the raw food movement, hunters and vets I've talked to were not impressed with it.

The consensus I've reached over a lifetime of looking for the right one is find the best balance of fat, protein, etc for your breed and get a reputable and exhaustively tested brand that matches. You can also get ones with different additives for joints, etc. Just keep in mind a lot of companies fudge the numbers by using fillers, etc. For example, chicken feathers are considered protein.

And a large beef bone from the butcher works wonders for cleaning their teeth. Labs are chewers and we've never had any dental issues just by using bones and sticks, we don't brush their teeth or any of the other 'new' ideas the pet industry unfolds.

Thanks guys. I asked the questions and had a good conversation with the breeder last night. Looking very much like I will be going to pick up a little boy end month. 99.99 % sure.
Full breed German Shepard working dog. Family great health etc. Now I just have to figure out this raw stuff. That's how they feed all their dogs. I've always used dry food. They are sending me info so I can figure it out and checking for reputable providers up my way. Its nice, they give military, vets and police a discount.

he8e4140.jpg

This may be the fella. They have three they think may be suited and will have to wait till we meet.
James

Look how big his feet are!!

What are we going to name him? :mpup

he8e4140.jpg

James

Big Foot? :D

LOL. I guess his name is Bogart. Not sure if he will be mine. They have 3 based on our email and chat to introduce to me and see which one goes home. If he bite me we'll have a little chat. Nice thing about a big dog is you dont need to bend down as far to put the lease on or off :)

With German Shepherds, it's not only the size of the feet, but also the size of the ears! He's handsome and his stance looks good.

When it comes to feeding, our service dog trainer recommended high protein diets. This diet means they only poop once a day, which I am thankful for with 4 shepherds! I know he isn't going to be a service dog, but it will help with the waste and it is healthier for them. We do a lamb and rice dog food. Mac and Rommel, both around 50 pounds, get two cups once a day and Gunner and Ryker, 80-90 pounds, get four cups once a day.

Oh, most important for GSD owners, put two tablespoons of coconut oil on his food every day, we get ours at Sam's Club and I melt it in the microwave before I put it on their food. If you do this, when they blow their winter coat, they will do it in about two weeks and then done. Unfortunately, they do shed slightly year round. I've just gotten use to passing the broom every day.

Shepherds are velcro dogs which means whomever he bonds with he will be attached to your hip.

Showed the wife the picture of the pup. She figures he'll top out at 110 - 120 pounds.

Thanks everyone for the help. Unfortunately while I had planned to go and pick up our newest addition to the family next weekend SWMBO has firmly put her foot down and squashed all plans. No dogs allowed. To say I'm unhappy would be an understatement.

LOL. I guess his name is Bogart. Not sure if he will be mine. They have 3 based on our email and chat to introduce to me and see which one goes home. If he bite me we'll have a little chat. Nice thing about a big dog is you dont need to bend down as far to put the lease on or off :)

James,

Congratulations on Bogart! Whichever one you choose! Shepards are great dogs and very intelligent and loyal!

I have had four German Shepard's early on, then I switched to Dobermans. My wife Susan has had small dogs. Our last, named Cagney, after James Cagney, (Little tough guy), just passed and her new puppy is a cock-a-poo she named Bogart! We call him "Bo".

Bob

Back