• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A pretty good cut

Paulw

About three days ago I was making supper for Linda and I. Fish sticks and fried potatoes. I thought I would be real smart and cut some thin slices, chip thin slices, since I am not really that adept with kitchen tools I thought I would use the plastic mandoline that our daughter, Kathryn gave here a couple of years ago. In case you didn't know what one was or is I will explain. It is a mid evil torture device used to slice vegetables. There is a sharp blade that runs diagonally the width of the instrument and a cam just before it that is attached to the bottom side. The cam has four or five settings that corresponds to the thickness of the vegetable cut that you chose and it also has two different set of blades that will give you a more fancy shape of cut. there is a safety device that is incorporated in which you place on top of the offending veggy and with a back and fourth motion you make slices of vegetable matter to the desired thickness that your little heart desires.

Towards the middle of the slicing action of one diabolic potato the shuttle flew out of my hand and I wound up taking a slice in the right thumb from the tip of the thumb on the right side level to the nail bed. This is only on the right side of the thumb. :woohoo: :facepalm It bled fairly freely and since I am on blood thinners for my cardiac health it did not stop for a while. wrapping a string around the base of my thumb stopped the profuse bleeding and I administered some modelers first aid and utilized some foam safe C/A to close the wound and let it set up then I firmly bandaged it and splinted it after removing the tourniquet. :beer

I am pretty much house bound and since Linda was at work a trip to the ER was out. I really don't recommend this type of emergency care if you have access to the Dr. As for me I am surprised that it doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would and after about four bandage changes it is looking pretty good and very well on its way to mending right.

The said instrument of my injury has wound up in the garbage and I will no longer play chef. Just sayin.... :smack

Ouch! I know those things, knife is safer.

Thanks for not posting pictures, I can't take taht stuff.

Get healed up Paul! :zen

Last thanksgiving I did basically the same thing while cleaning one of those beasts. :sick: But man, for perfect au grautin potatoes, nothing's better!

Be safe out there folks!

Last thanksgiving I did basically the same thing while cleaning one of those beasts. :sick: But man, for perfect au grautin potatoes, nothing's better!

Be safe out there folks!

I'll get my Au gratin out of the box. Much less blood...

Woa Paul! Take care my friend! :eek:hmy:

I am currently on Eliquis and am being a little more observant than usual. Over the years I have just gotten into the habit of working safely with sharp tools. I have also noticed that some little things have bled slightly longer than they used to. Hopefully I should be off this stuff here soon.

Your story reminds me of a tomato slicer my right index finger found the hard way in my younger years and 5 or 6 years ago my mill got a hold of my left index fingernail and sliced it up good. That time it was Sunday night and I really didn't want to go to the ER. As it quit bleeding fairly quickly I also did some self aid with some clear plastic that I heated and formed to the approx shape of the nail. Then trimmed it and used regular CA to attach it to the nail and hold it all together. This sealed it mostly and protected it. As it was also transparent I could observe for infection which didn't happen. As the nail grew out I just trimmed it away and it didn't hurt or bother me at all. Turns out the ER would have ripped the parts off and it would have hurt for a couple of weeks. My bit was better, even my doc thought so the next week when I went in for something unrelated.

Coming from the guy who hit his thumb on the top of a spinning table saw blade and finished the project before calling the wife and going to the ER, sounds like you handled it just fine.

Besides, if you ain't bleedin', you ain't workin'.

Hang int here! I remember these being sold on late-night TV (Slices/Dices and makes Julien Fries!) My history with really sharp object is not too good, so I decided to note get one, and I think my hands are better for it.

Back