• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Air Compressor Recommendations for Airbrush

helios

I tried utilizing the search but came up empty...I'm a little surprised it hasn't been brought up here before. Or maybe I'm just a numpty. :smack

Anywho, looking ahead to the upcoming Fall/Winter months I'm hoping to get some bench time in and get some straggling projects wrapped up (RA-5C, RF-4C, Space Wolf). My Makita compressor bit the dust earlier this summer. I had been using it back and forth between the garage & house. Due to the obvious limitations of it's small size, I really need to up the ante for proper garage use. However that also means it will no longer be a portable unit I can carry back and forth.

So as such I'll also be looking for a dedicated compressor for airbrush use. I think I would like to have a small tank to prevent pressure surges (either part of the pump or enough in the budget to add one), and relatively quiet. It doesn't need to be nearly silent as there is nobody in the house but myself, but I don't want to feel like I have to wear earplugs every time I paint. I already have an in-line regulator & separator, so those aren't a necessary component for a new compressor. Currently using a Badger 105 AB (need to verify minimum CFM). Hoping to keep cash outlay to under $200. There are a lot of options out there, so figured I would pick your guys' brains for personal experiences before playing russian roulette on a purchase hoping it fits my needs based solely on paper specs.

Cheers.

PS: I'm not opposed to a quality used unit if someone happens to have a lead on one.

Another option I should look into as well is rebuilding the compressor stage that is seized up.

It wasn't long ago that our local Hobby Lobby was closing out several air brush compressors, including a couple Iwata models. Might check them if you have one close. I use my old Rol-Air pancake compressor I had for my air nailers when I had my carpentry business, keep threatening to get something quieter. Harbor Freight has inexpensive models, guess it depends how deep you want to go.

:good:

I had a 30 year old Badger that finally gave up the ghost a few years back.

I went tried the newer versions and they're seem pretty cheap 'upgraded' attempts of the old standard. Might look the same, but are half the weight and demonstrably smaller and run non stop.

I ponied up for an Iwata Smart Jet (with shut off) and couldn't be happier. Really quiet, no nonsense, quality components. They are pricey compared to other options in the size range, but like any Iwata product, they are rock solid.

The stand up units are really nice, I got really lucky when I bought the house I"m at now. Had a working framing business in the detached garage and they had a used Texaco gas station compressor. I gave it a new belt and wiring (the recycled fan cord didn't cut it for me).

Maybe you can find one on Craigslist locally. I suspect they don't come around often.

I have a large stand up type compressor in my garage workshop and use a portable 10 gallon tank for airbrush use in the house. It will provide a good amount of spraying time as long as I remember to close the valve when I'm done using it. It's totally silent except for occasional expletives from me when I'm ready to paint and find I left the valve open when last used. This also happens most often when it's either raining outside or there is several inches of snow on the ground. I have of late considered using CO2 or nitrogen but haven't yet priced it out locally.

I can't speak from personal experience but I can say that a lot of other builders have praised the Iwata compressor.

With a 40% coupon, it's affordable at Hobby Lobby if there's one near you.

Cheers, Christian B)

Ended up springing for the Iwata IS-875HT Smart Jet Plus (possibly the same one Ausf has). Dick Blick Art Supplies had them on sale for $385 + an additional 30% off (discount code WKD2018) bringing it down to about $270. I think I'll be happier that I waited and saved up a bit extra. Thanks again for all the recommendations.

BTW, they have 1 left if anyone else is interested. :v

Iwata IS-875HT Smart Jet Plus - Dick Blick

Sweet.

I don't have the Plus (mine is tankless), having the tank can only make it better.

Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

Woo hoo! Glad you got some air. That means you'll be posting pictures soon. :popcorn

I know this is apples to oranges because the noise this one would generate but this is a heck of a deal. I'm thinking of getting one to hang out in Ma-In-Law's garage.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-6-Gallon-Portable-Electric-Pancake-Air-Compressor/4764588

Sweet.

I don't have the Plus (mine is tankless), having the tank can only make it better.

Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

At only .45cu.ft., less of a tank, more of a surge pot. But still in theory should provide the buffer to prevent any variation in pressure (though from what I read, the Iwata compressors don't seem to have an issue with). Can't wait to play with it for sure.

Woo hoo! Glad you got some air. That means you'll be posting pictures soon. :popcorn

I know this is apples to oranges because the noise this one would generate but this is a heck of a deal. I'm thinking of getting one to hang out in Ma-In-Law's garage.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-6-Gallon-Portable-Electric-Pancake-Air-Compressor/4764588

Heck yeah, do it Pup! Perfect for the occasional use. :good: Hell, if I hadn't come across the sale I probably would've sprung for one of those as a tide me over.

Better read the reviews, used to see those come back all the time.

Better read the reviews, used to see those come back all the time.

Yikes, guess the robots ran up the score to 4 stars.

Back