• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I am beyond Jonesing for bench time now.

ausf

Master at Arms
For those who don't know, I set up shop in the attic of my 112 year old house. It was a good decision at the time, since I was finishing it off (insulation, walls, storage space) I could run ductwork for ventilation, heat, make it cable and internet ready and get all the other needs taken care of (although I should have plumbed it for a slop sink).

It works great for me 9 months out of the year, but about mid June it gets a bit too hot. I've tried AC but the second I run an AB or resin, it's gone.

Years past, this wasn't much of an issue, summer is for being outside and doing other stuff, but in this part of NY, September means high 70s, low 80s during the day, 50s at night. Couple that with the NFL coming back and plenty of bench time, the next few months are my favorite time of the year.

So why have I been staring at 90s all week? On top of all 90s last few weeks?

We had a short window of coolness I though was it a short while ago, timed perfectly with the Moebius Joker landing on my porch. I got some precious benchtime to start the kit as well as begin the replacement head sculpt. I planned on doing one anyway, to capture Cesar in a way injection molding can't, but Moebius forced my hand by sending me a sealed kit, without a face. Box was sealed, sprue bags were sealed, sprues intact with one gaping whole where the face part was.

Tomorrow is supposed to be the and it better happen, I'm about ready to chew on some styrene if I don't smell glue soon.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm looking at all the great work here and I want to play. I feel like the kid stuck inside while are his friends outside playing.

Yes brother...I'm a few hours north and shorts were in order for the first day of school back with kids today...although it was still bloody hot. Supposed to be a nice weekend in the capital district though ;)

Thanks Gents!

It's an encouraging start to the weekend, this morning was in the low 60s with a nice brisk breeze straight through the front windows, exactly what the attic needs to cool down.

Looks like it won't be long now. :yipee

Jeff, I feel your pain. was experiencing that all summer myself. It won't be long now, you'll be back at it like gangbusters.

Here in Memphis it was quite warm earlier in the summer but the last couple of weeks it has been as low as 60 in the morning and mid 80's in the late afternoon. It was nice enough over Labor day weekend that I was able to get a lot done on my Vacuum cabinet. It is ready for a light sanding and final color, motor and mount are all cleaned up.

For airbrush venting I have a small booth that uses 2 brushless instrument fans. One is a low speed and one is a high speed. I have a switch that is off, Low speed only, and both fans. It works quite well for paint fumes and doesn't suck all the cool air out.

Jeff , do you know how many amp service your house is , 100 or 200 amp .
Being an old house you could have a post and tube/knob el run to the attic .

PQ2fEL4.jpg

If no el work has been done to upgrade your service over the last 112 years your service is even less than 100amps , however this is unlikely , do you have central air , el washer/dryer [ of course you have an el washer , haven't seen any gas operated ones ] , el stove , basically any large amp draw items .

Either way , being an old house your attic el run many not be a home run [ attic to breaker box ] but also servicing some rooms on the way to the attic which could also be part of your problem .
You can isolate the breaker in the box by turning on your ac and then run your ab , when the breaker trips go to the breaker box find the tripped breaker , chances are it's a 15amp breaker which serves el outlets [ usually in residences ] and is usually a 14 , 2 or 3 wire . You may very well be able to solve your problem by replacing the 15amp with a 20amp breaker .
A good way to kinda figure out what amp service your house is add up all the breakers . If that number is more than 100 then you have a 200 amp service . adding a 20amp breaker should not be a problem then and you can run your window rattler ac your ab and anything else used in el outlets . Don't worry about lights - separate breaker , or at least they should be , that's the scary part of very old houses tho .
Course if your service was upgraded the total amp service could very well be written in the box , also the areas serviced by each breaker , if the electrician bothered to id them , ....... job protection .

1RaLcc1.jpg

Trust me I used to watch Home Improvement all the time .
I know enough about everything construction , ......... enough to make me dangerous ...........

Almost forgot , if you remodeled your attic you should be able to change a breaker , I'm not saying anything about your handyman abilities but I've found a lot of people are uncomfortable around el .
Hiring an electrician is very expensive for this simple task . You could ask some buddies if they are capable to change out the breaker for a deuce pack .
Either way to me it's a pretty simple fix to be able to model year round .
Good luck man !!!

One more thing the new breaker must be able to fit in the el box , Square D , General Eletric etc. Usually there are two kinds of breakers a snap in kind and a screw in kind . Find out who makes the box and ask in Home Depot or where ever for a 20amp breaker for a whatever type series box .

Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Yep, it was knob and tube. Tricky bastards too because they had Romex running off it where it could be seen, it wasn't until walls were opened that you'd see it beside the attic (which was deactivated). Replaced everything throughout the house, using 12/2 and 12/3, 20A to the attic, basement and kitchen, 15 elsewhere. It's a 100A service, but it's a small house with all gas appliances, no garage or any draw larger than the dishwasher or fridge. In 20 years I've only tripped one breaker and that was while shorting out a sculpting tool. Tablesaw is probably the biggest draw I've ever used and that's in the basement and only a few times a year if that.

I also replaced the furnace, ducts, every pipe (including the soil stack), window, door, porch, deck railing, stair tread, etc. over the span of the time here, including the driveway (by hand).

That's why I'm kicking myself for not running a slop sink in the attic, the chase and soil stack are just about 2 feet opposite my bench on the other side of the wall. It would be nice to be able to clean the AB without having to walk down a flight of stairs everytime.

When I pulled up the attic floor boards, there were a few ex-squirrels that grounded themselves. :D

Back