• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Work Bench - Building Spot Lets See Them!

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
I know there is an old tread out about this but lets fire a new one.

I'm going to be tearing out my model room and rebuilding it this summer (lets hope).

So I'm wanting to see what everyone has got. From big to small I don't care post up some pictures.

A couple things I run into working at the bench is storage of paints, styrene, tools, etc. I do have places for them but they seem to gather on the bench. I get to the point I've put them up and taken back out and back again I start just leaving them out. Then of course the stuff starts to stay on the bench and not return to where it should be. I don't know if I will ever beat that problem but maybe someone has.

Well this was taken a number of years ago.
004-1~0.jpg

My wife now is getting into building now, so I need to figure away that three us can be in the room at a bench at the same time. With that everyone have access to paints, tools, airbrush without having to have someone move out of the way. Another thing is Grace has out grown my old model bench I used when I was a kid.

Lets see those work areas guys. Add what you like about it and what you would change.

I got a photo of the garage when it was clean, maybe 8 years ago.

I'll get a snap tomorrow, just as it is.

Nice space Jeff, no room for aircraft up there huh? :rotf

Here is my work room in the last iteration. I had 2 desks from Target that worked OK, but didn't have quite enough depth. Then there is the bigger "roll around" desk that get used for photos, stuff, building, more stuff, yeah.

TT-CleanUp-01.jpg

TT-CleanUp-12.jpg

The paint booth has fans and a duct that runs to a plastic box that fits snug into the window. This allows me to airbrush when it is snowing, raining, freezing, or too blasted hot out.

Several months ago I was finally able to bring back the rest of the desk that my dad built. It is made from a solid core door. Heavy and solid. It has a LOT of surface room as long as I don't clutter it up.

Aq-244.jpg

For storing paint I have a couple of these old watchmaker crystal cabinets. These usually end up rather rough, rusty and full of dirt. I cleaned them out and partially repainted them. They are about a foot square and have a lot of drawers. I have way more paint than anyplace to put it so it goes in the cabinet until I start painting.

TT-CleanUp-02.jpg

TT-CleanUp-03.jpg

TT-CleanUp-04.jpg

In some cases if you are local these cases won't cost anything. I was given 3 full ones of these and condensed the crystals down to one case and turned the other 2 into storage.

And Yes, even with the new bigger desk I still am using the roll around desk in the middle of the floor and the paint booth desk is now to the right of the window. I also have a jewelers bench which is where the dremel is and where I do most of my saw work. Then there is another bench that just catches stuff (flat surface). In the first pic you can see another bench that has a small lathe and milling machine.

It works great as long as I keep things put away. For now it has reached a point where I need to clean it up so I can do something in there again.

Here's mine
IMG_1228_zpsslprm3c5.jpg

IMG_1229_zpsoof9vqi8.jpg

Both the desk under the spray both and the metal organizer on the wall were given to me by my parents in the late 60's.
And for a bit of nostalgia the oldest model in my collection and my first airbrush........
IMG_1240_zpsymrvgavz.jpg

:drinks

The approach.

h3380b4f.jpg

There's good and bad having a detatched garage for a shop. The Bad, Harder to find time to sneak into the hobby room to do something, it is a destination, something that takes me away from doing other things I should be doing. The Good, I can generate all sorts of nasty fumes and clouds of dust without much complaining. :rotf

he720f19.jpg

Walking in the door, you're presented with a mess.

h266aed5.jpg

I really could have multiple work stations setup, they all just seem to get cluttered up.

haa00301.jpg

the Workbench

h166d7d4.jpg

Ventilation system. :stinker

hf66f1a7.jpg

And nonfancy display case

Pup, your "mess" is still far more clean and spacious than my hobby room! You can still walk straight in to yours, while I have to turn sideways to get to my hobby desk seat. I envy you an entire building! Nice!

Dollar19, what a luxurious amount of room you have! Love it!

I don't think you want to see pics of my hobby room, they would not offer any insight to improving your own.

Keep your pics coming guys, these are awesome and invigorating to see!

Like Bob, I'm fortunate to have a large space all to myself...when we had the house built, my wife said I could have the upstairs of the garage. We ended up splitting it into two rooms...the first one is the anteroom- where the gym is and the extra shelving I just installed for display...

hafb6d7f.jpg

The door into the main shop...called the Man Room....the CMD...the Sheep's Pen...

h8df78db.jpg

And inside- the tool storage cabinet and some model storage underneath...
h62f66da.jpg

The main bench area...I don't tend to sit there long...need a better chair...and the homemade spray booth. To the right is an antique cedar hope chest we had to move out of the house when the father-in-law moved into the basement. It's been emptied of blankets and now stores models.

hfe5617b.jpg

This is the main place I build...I sit in the black office chair and model on the couch...this is also an alternate place to sleep when I'm in trouble ;)
he69f781.jpg

And the paint rack and more model storage. The space heater there keeps the room warm through the winter...quite nicely.

hdd5564f.jpg

Likes- It's all mine...and when I'm not doing 5 projects at once it's pretty neat. The color scheme...mimics my favorite theater of WWII...US Navy Aviation...

Dislikes- Need to figure out some better lighting...the Navy Dark Sea Blue makes it a bit dark...thinking of investing in some LED track lighting of a sort...but not until I'm back at school. Also...when we get the heat like we did last week, it's downright oppressive. Need to invest in a small A/C unit at some point and that'll remedy it...

Nice spray booth and I really like that tool box. I also have been in search of the perfect stool, I"m pretty close to it with the one I have now but it doesn't roll.

Good digs Mike! (y)

My humble little bench, in the basement in the back corner of the house!

hcc15081.jpg

Above the bench are my paints, the shelf to the left are my all resin kits and WWI aircraft, above those are all Hasegawa kits

h3758a97.jpg

To the right, mostly Tamiya kits with a few odd ones thrown in,

h80d48f5.jpg

Behind the bench on top of the freezer is everything else (CA, Accurate Minatures, Revell, Trumpeter, Special Hobby, etc...)

h4e8cd56.jpg

To the left of my bench is my computer and the table of doom! (all my shelves are used up!). Hoping to someday build a display case here along this wall.

h987d399.jpg

I cleaned -up my work-space nearly 2 years ago with the intention to get more models done....

20161015_104744.jpg

20161015_104842.jpg

but the Art is getting more time at present and the IT equipment and canvases that go with it have taken nearly all the workbench. Still trying to sort a balance.

Ian.

Paul,
I worry about your mental health. :rotf :drinks
Pup,
Color me envious!!

Why do you say that Chris? What I didn't show you was the real stash, it's in another room (and needs to be thinned way down). Right now my inner cave is a bit untidy (stuff piled on everything) No real room to work, been working on the computer area for the last couple of weeks and that is now all redone and running strong again, better than before.

Back