• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Getting an Education in Modeling...

Jeeves

With Bob and Bob's recent posts on the new class of excellent Master modelers here at the ole' MA, I have been spending some quality time going through their individual Master sections and taking visual notes. I recently picked up a large set of The Weather Magazine(s) from a flea market and have also been reading through these as I have become an admirer of Mig's since meeting him at AMPS around 6 years ago or so. Pairing these with the work of all the excellent modelers here and in other forums I frequent, I have been trying to redefine my philosophy and how I go about what I do in the Sheep's Pen. Maybe it's all the time doing research as a field biologist and now going on 20 years teaching- but I really enjoy delving in and learning as much as I can.

What I have found more than anything is that I really have some ADD (not official) when it comes to modeling. I don't have any specific genre I associate myself with anymore- although I do try to stick with 1/48 aircraft- but also enjoy 1/35 armor (WWII to start, but modern more so than ever now), autos, and figures when one suits my fancy. I also tend to get tunnel vision when I am in a build- always focusing on what's next and the finish line...but have been realizing that when I consider one "finished", I look back and think about what I missed or could've done better.

With Mig's magazines, there are things I don't ever even think on when I build- like zenithial lighting, or how filters can be used effectively. Reading these techniques now, I really want to start playing around and modifying my approach. My fear is I will get stuck or bogged down and lose interest- hence the ADD reference. I live in a pretty awesome place- but one that is a pretty vast wasteland when it comes to things like model shows and clubs. The nearest one is in Albany and a good distance away- so I am pretty much solo- so entering a show is not even on my radar...plus the desire to do so is not really there. Other than sharing with all of you, and/or the occasional model I build for someone else, I am really the only one who sees my work. Nevertheless, the drive to improve is still there- I just need to slow it down and intensify my focus I guess.

I've picked up a few of Mig's AMMO line to try out, and plan on reading and researching more- but was just bouncing my thoughts off on you all. I plan on putting this into my blog as well but I was just wondering if anyone else shares my scatteredness...

On a side note-- these Oilbrusher products of AMMO's sort of bewilder me...I mean it kind of seems like buying the 50/50 antifreeze....sure it's ready to go- but aren't you just paying more for a thinned down product? I suppose it works for those who don't know much about oils- but I just don't know...

Sounds like a plan Mike. I tend to rush things myself, not really finishing things. Main reason I have done the work on this website is to gain the knowledge from everyone I can, keep an open mind and try new things.

It's like were brothers from another mother Mike. While I'm a bit closer to civilization than you, with a dodgy back shows are pretty much off the table. Same with ADD, I could fill a museum with unfinished stuff that gets shelved the second something shiny gets my eye, I don't need another technique to slow the process any more.

On the flip side, a new technique, etc is what might get me excited to hit the bench.

In terms of the oils, you've hit what I've been saying for years. It's great to see these techniques being used in modeling and Mig is a pioneer in our hobby, probably has done as much to further the art than anyone else in the past 10 years. But, these items are well stocked in any art store in much larger quantities for a lot less. Not that it makes a difference and if Mig can make a living off of creating products, more power to him.

What's interesting to me is the guys who are at the top of the game in figure painting all tend to cut their palette down to the fewest amount of colors they can. Using Color theory, the world can be simplified to the three primaries, but in actuality about 9 paints will get you every single color in the Vallejo, Tamiya, Humbrol, AK, etc. lineup.

It's just a matter of putting in the work, but if the goal is to spend precious spare time building, reaching for that RLM color is easier and neater, so I see and agree with however you want to get there. Remember, I'm the jackass who has about 800 lbs of dry pigment in my basement and a steamertrunk sized box of microballoons in stead of spending a few bucks on a bottle of snow off the shelf.

Yup...I've still got the baggies you sent me years ago, as well as some excellent dental compound John Steinman gave me during that same AMPS show when I rode down with him and Saul to VA. Also have a jar of the Adam Wilder stuff I won in the last SMA Spring contest. Just need to start some snow scenes ;)

So in the spirit of learning and my newly inspired desire to improve, I am asking advice on this build. As much as I thought I had the cabin area all aligned on my Rhino, when I went to add the top, I ran into this along the bottom edge--
IMG_20180331_185359.jpg

And this gap where there isn't supposed to be one....
IMG_20180331_185434.jpg

I am up for suggestions....was thinking of trimming the front plate so it fits the gap.... :idonno

Back