• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Amazon Frustrations

Jeeves

So I received an Amazon from my mom for Christmas and used it to order a nice selection of models...including an Academy Humvee. Didn't look too closely when I ordered and realized after that it was shipping from Hong Kong. Nothing horrible, but I knew I was in for a wait...and the reviews on this place we're mostly good. So ordered this Dec. 29...got a shipping note a day later saying it's be here 2/14.

Just got an email yesterday stating the first package was lost in transit and that they are unable to find another one to ship...but I got everything refunded so all good. I'll find another Humvee on Amazon, this time a bit more local...and every single Humvee, whether Tamiya or Academy is coming from Japan and parts Far East.

So I scrapped those plans and grabbed it from Scale Hobbyist in NH

Flip side is I got an Iwata that was $500 in the US for $147 direct form Japan via Amazon in a few days.

One thing when they do screwup, they take care of it, no questions asked, usually telling you to keep the item.

I had a vacuum chamber go missing in shipping, they ended up eventually sending a total of three, I ended up with 2 (second one had a balky valve) and they refunded the original charges.

They are far from perfect, my guess is the volume, but overall they have done well by me. I've had items on my porch in less than 8 hours of ordering.

All that said, I ordered a Banda Yamato 2199 for my son from Japan on Nov 30th. It's a huge kit with free shipping so I imagine it's on a slow boat, but it was promised between Dec 20-Jan 8. If it doesn't show today, I'll get a refund.

I have had fairly decent success with getting items from the orient. Have received items from all over China and just got a kit from Taiwan. That sender (through ebay) would send me e-mail updates every step of the way and the item was superbly packed. Still have another large figure that is coming and have not heard diddly. Will check on it a little later.

I'll echo the sentiments above as well- I've ordered from Hobby Search and HobbyLink Japan with great success as well. And even in this case, the refund came the same day as the email. But getting the notice that it shipped only to be told almost two weeks later that it didn't was inconvenient.

Bob- we use our Prime account for just about everything...music, movie streaming, and tons of ordering ;)

Back