• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

New Year trip....

Duke Maddog

On Sunday the 7th, I'll be heading down to San Diego to help my nephew pack. He is withdrawing from school down there and we will be packing his stuff and loading it onto a rental minivan. I'm going to help drive him back home to Columbus Ohio. I'm not yet sure of the route I'm going to take yet, so I don't know if we'll be able to stop to meet anyone along the way. I plan on staying in Ohio until the 20th of January, so I'll be enjoying some fun with my niece and nephews in the snow. It's going to feel great getting away for awhile.

I don't know how much internet access I'll have while I'm gone so if you don't hear from me much; don't worry. I'll try to check in once in a while though.

Take care everyone and I'll see you on the flip side.

Safe travels Mark!

Just a thought, if you will be traveling on I44 through Oklahoma and Missouri PaulW lives in Tulsa and Bob Letterman lives a few miles off the highway around Springfield MO. Maybe you could do quick meet and greet with them on the way back.

If you can swing by and visit with Poppa Bob you can see the museum. You won't regret it.

Thanks for the best wishes guys! I plan on watching the weather and the road a lot, and hopefully we'll have a safe and easy trip. Paul, I'd love to stop and see the museum in Springfield, I just don't have Paul or Bob's contact info to call them when I'm close. Maybe if I can find that info or check in sometime on the road, I'll try and link up with those two. It's on my bucket list to see that museum!

Thanks for the best wishes guys! I plan on watching the weather and the road a lot, and hopefully we'll have a safe and easy trip. Paul, I'd love to stop and see the museum in Springfield, I just don't have Paul or Bob's contact info to call them when I'm close. Maybe if I can find that info or check in sometime on the road, I'll try and link up with those two. It's on my bucket list to see that museum!

Well, did you ask them? :smack :rotf

Well,no I didn't. With all my prep for the trip I didn't take the time. I shall send some PMs out now and hope I can log back in later to see the replies.

EDIT: Done and done. I even sent my cell phone number so they can get in touch with me.

Well, I know I'm late but here are the pics I promised of my trip to Columbus Ohio.

As everyone knows, I drove my nephew from San Diego to Columbus and had great weather for the whole trip until we got past Cincinnati. Only then did the storm that was chasing us across the country get caught up. Still it was only light rain and fog at least and the temps remained well above freezing.

On the way out there, I got the opportunity to meet up with PaulW in Tulsa OK and spend about an hour or so with him. He is an incredible host and a great modeler. I love his cave! He also has something that I don't know that I'll ever get myself: a 3-D printer:

ColumbusTrip0001.jpg

Just wait awhile before you ask him to print something for you guys! He's still learning the ropes on this beastie!

We had a great talk and he showed me a number of his most recent purchases as well as his current project. There's some great stuff gonna be coming off his workbench! Speaking of his workbench, I got a shot of the two of us next to where all the magic happens:

ColumbusTrip0002.jpg

I'm on the left, looking pretty ragged after a six hour drive...

Paul, thanks again for the great hospitality. I hope your wife wasn't too upset.... :D

Moving on, we drove again for two more days and a night; finally ending up in Columbus. We had just enough time to unload and get inside because about two hours later it began to snow.

The next morning I got to wake up to this:

ColumbusTrip0074.jpg

Here's my brother's house; if you look closely you can see where his kids had started an Igloo in the front yard. I so wanted to see that finished, but it didn't happen:

ColumbusTrip0072.jpg

This is his backyard the day after we arrived:

ColumbusTrip0082.jpg

And yes, I did help to shovel snow! Here's the proof:

ColumbusTrip0080.jpg

The next day, one of my (seven) nephews had his eighth birthday so we all went to a trampoline house:

ColumbusTrip0003.jpg

That is my nephew Nicholas in front with Andrew; the birthday boy, bouncing on the right.

Those trampolines were next to a foam block pit that you could bounce straight into. This thing nearly ate me alive; it had already taken one of my socks:

ColumbusTrip0004.jpg

Andrew is front and center.

A couple days later we had to take advantage of the snow and go sledding. Yes, I also sledded down the hill but nobody took my camera to get pics of it. I do have some shots of my brother Tom with his son Joseph...

ColumbusTrip0004.jpg

...His wife with their daughter Julianna:

ColumbusTrip0025.jpg

...and Julianna going down by herself:

ColumbusTrip0040.jpg

It's amazing how great those cement-mixing tubs work as sleds!

A few days later, I went to my brother's workplace. He works at COSI. For those outside of Ohio that don't know what that is, it stands for 'Center of Science and Industry'. It is a huge museum/theater that is almost four city blocks long. My brother works there as the head of all IT in the building. I went to go see their latest exhibit on dinosaurs:

ColumbusTrip0075.jpg

I think that is the only pic I got from inside that place, at least on my camera. If I can figure out how to get pics off my phone to here, I'll see about posting more....

Moving on; before I left, I was invited by the president of IPMS USA to attend their IPMS Eddie Rickenbacker meeting. They hold their meetings in a conference room in the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) Aviation Division building. It was a great meeting with a lot of incredible models on the tables. I was pleased with the turnout, given that the temperatures at the time were hovering around the single digits that night:

ColumbusTrip0050.jpg

Here's a shot of the model tables showing most of the models on display. In the previous pic, you can see some guys still working on models as well. The IPMS USA president; Ron Bell is in the striped shirt in the center:

ColumbusTrip0049.jpg

After the meeting, one of the members who is a member of ODOT invited me to stay for a bit. He took me back into the hanger where a number of the aircraft used by ODOT are kept. Pictures were encouraged:

ColumbusTrip0061.jpg

This is one of the helicopters used by the Highway Patrol for surveying and monitoring traffic, as well as follow suspects trying to evade law enforcement:

ColumbusTrip0069.jpg

Here is one of the aircraft used by ODOT for surveying the ground for future and existing road placement and improvement. It carries a LIDAR and other sophisticated imaging equipment:

ColumbusTrip0065.jpg

I'm told this piece of equipment costs more than the plane carrying it:

ColumbusTrip0064.jpg

This is another plane very similar to the first one used for the same thing. This one has been adapted for better visibility. It was designed and built by Heinkel, can you see the family resemblance?

ColumbusTrip0068.jpg

You can also see it is down for maintenance...

Finally, here is the Ohio governor's plane; used to fly him all over Ohio and other distant points:

ColumbusTrip0070.jpg

The propellers used on the turbojets on this plane can reverse pitch so far that the plane can actually be backed up for short distances! My guide was even willing to open this plane up for me. The governor flies in style indeed:

ColumbusTrip0071.jpg

My apologies for the blurry pic there I didn't know it had been that blurry. I guess I was just so excited about being on that plane!

During this trip, I also spent time with my nephew and Godson Paul for a day and got to watch my nephews Andrew and Joseph play basketball. Joseph did exceptionally in the Third Grade Division, doing two steals and getting a basket.

Well that's all the pics I have for now. Once I sort through the rest of them I may post some more.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Hey, Mark. Remember what I said about my daughter telling mom that there were strange people in her house? Well I got grilled that evening. :smack

Glad you got to hook up with PaulW there Mark! Bob Letterman is only about 10 miles or so off of I44 at Springfield MO. I would highly suggest trying to get in touch with him on the way back.

Looks like you are having a great time in the great white north! Have fun and be safe!

Dave, I actually did have fun shoveling the snow. I out-shoveled my to nephews who were supposed to be helping me! :idonno

Bob you are right. It was a unique experience and quite the cardio workout.

Paul I'm sorry man. I hope they at least left you medium rare.

Jeaton thanks man! It was a blast! It was also something I needed more than I knew!

Paul, I got back on the 20th of January. I didn't drive back so I was unable to catch Bob Letterman again. My brother flew me back home. Besides, Bob might have still been in St. Louis then so I still would have missed him.

Thanks again for all the great comments guys! I had so much fun and was thrilled to meet up with PaulW.

Looks like quite a busy trip Mark!

That dinosaur museum that your brother works at looks like it was exciting!

B)

Thanks Sharkman! It's more than a dinosaur museum; that is only one room of that whole building. They have two huge theaters inside as well as a whole room dedicated to space and space travel. Another room shows developments in science, industry and mechanics; and so forth. One section of that room has a common street set in the 1890's that you walk along to see a home and the shops and such that would be on that street in that time. Turn the corner and it's the same street; same shops etc. but they are all set in the 1960's. The phones on the 1960's street will call the phones in the 1890's street and vice versa. In the 1960's street there is a fully working TV station where you can "film" someone reading the news; or be "filmed" reading the news; and everyone outside is watching on the TV in the window! All of this is hands-on too. In the Space section, there are simulators you can sit in to land the Lunar Lander or the Space Shuttle. They even have a full planetarium. In the entrance is a huge pendulum that is three stories tall. The rotation of the earth keeps this thing moving, nothing more. There is even a whole wall filled with the history of Cracker Jacks, including a display of every type of toy ever packed in a box of Cracker Jacks.

And this does not include all the other rooms for kids activities, kid-level museum exhibits, and a stage where things like Tesla's experiments are profiled among other things. The whole building is at least three city blocks long and three stories high. Look it up online and you'll see: it's called COSI in Columbus Ohio:

Center of Science and Industry

Yes, it is a most exciting place to be!

Back