• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Vinyl.

ausf

Master at Arms
I went in with my son for a serious turntable since he expressed interest in vinyl.

I haven't heard an LP since I started buying up CDs in the 80s.

Holy Smoke. I knew there would be a difference between this and an MP3, 4 or whatever, I always pull that old man 'back in my day, you could hear the music, not a dumbed down representation of it', but I was not prepared for how right I was.

We cracked Zep I and even through a set of $100 speakers, it's a wall of sound.

My son's face lit up like he was hearing music for the first time.

I remember those days..when I could tell the difference.

I demag someone's tapedeck once and they flipped out but it was lost on me. I just can't appreciate high (or low end) in audio anymore.

I miss the crack and pop of an LP. I used to have a Teac system in the barracks until it got confiscated to playing Zappa and Tull too loud. But behold, old things are becoming new. My grand kids have mini Polaroid camera outfits. Hopefully common sense is coming back too.

I miss the crack and pop of an LP. I used to have a Teac system in the barracks until it got confiscated to playing Zappa and Tull too loud. But behold, old things are becoming new. My grand kids have mini Polaroid camera outfits. Hopefully common sense is coming back too.

Believe it or not ,vinyl is making a comeback with real music enthusiast .

Higher quality music recordings than anything newer .

Cheers, Christian B)

I remember those days..when I could tell the difference.

I demag someone's tapedeck once and they flipped out but it was lost on me. I just can't appreciate high (or low end) in audio anymore.

Funny how that works.

For all purposes, the way I abused my hearing when I was in bands or going to concerts (I used to jam myself between the stage and the PA) I shouldn't hear a thing now, but besides some ringing when it's dead quiet, a mouse running in the chase will wake me up.

The other day I heard a light whine I couldn't figure out. It was the wall adapter for a battery in the next room. I tiny high pitched hum.

I only have ringing in my ears. Between standing under a a B52 with all 8 engines running (without ear protection, young and stupid) and parking a camaro on my head one night... I can't hear jack.

I had a high end turntable once, had the weights and balance stuff, little strings balancing the arm. One of the guys brought it back from Japan and I bought it.

7Za8LI9.jpg

My son just turned 20 , about 4 years ago he showed the same interest in vinal , unfortunately I gave my neighbor over 400 albums I had collected from the mid to late 60's on .

I asked my neighbor if I could have them back because of my sons new hobby and he gave them to Jake along with his collection , now he has almost 800 albums .

Expensive new hobby , high end turntables and associated gear are very expensive , remastered albums can cost almost 200 dollars in some cases .

The quality is extraordinary , the only difference between me listening to my albums in the 60's and my son listening to his now is that back then I was always told to turn that crap noise down , ............ now I tell my son to crank it up !!!!

Vinyl ... it just Rocks !!! I still have about a four foot stack of wax !!! My Sansui 8200 receiver and other apparatus produce 180 watts all the time and can hit 360 watt peaks ... still got it from back in the eighties ... Sansui made a linear tracking turntable I always wanted but missed it ... :eek:ldguy

Back