• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Some old likenesses I sculpted.

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
I had responded to a post of Jeff, (Ausf), on one of his amazing likeness sculptures, and then realized I was doing a no-no, highjacking his post.

So I posted it all here and used a link to this instead of putting this on his thread.

Jeff is extremely talented at sculpting likenesses. That is a rare talent you don't find often in the figure sculpting world. I had a couple of guys over the years that weren't bad at all. I have tried it several times but I just don't have the patience, (It takes me days of sculpting, resculpting and resculpting yet again, and I just don't have the "touch" Jeff has.

Here are a couple of mine.

As Jeff and I have discussed, I only wish he could have been around when I had VLS! I love likenesses, but I don't have the talent for them that he does and I certainly don't have the patience. I don't have any close ups, but here are a couple of heads I sculpted because I didn't think either kit figure looked like the person it was supposed to represent.

Napoleon in the shadowbox, Limits of Glory. The kit face looked nothing like Napoleon! I sculpted it from paintings. Here is the box art.

s-l1600.jpg

Then a painting of Napoleon.

Unknown.jpeg

And my sculpted head and converted body of Napoleon.

ggg.jpg

And VP had a terrible Reichmarshall Goering. So, I sculpted his head from Photographs. He had recessed, very thin lips and a jutting protruding jaw, a very unusual face! Here is the figure box art.

2811.JPG

A photo of Goering.

Hermann-Goering1.jpg

And my conversion with a new sculpted head.

ggggg.jpg

And to Jeff, (AUSF) I'm not in your league for likenesses, and never will be, but these are my very best and I don't think they were too bad.

Bob

This looks like an incredible likeness! I never knew Joaquin de Almeida played Napoleon:
s-l1600.jpg

queen_cast_joaquimDeAlmeida.jpg

Yours are a great improvement over what came in the box.

Regards,

No worries about hijacking with me, I consider threads conversations and don't mind where they go as long as they're interesting.

Thanks for the kind words, if we knew each other back then (not as just wholesale/retail), we could have made some nice kits together.

I think Herman is pretty damn close, you've got the 'cat that swallowed the canary' look he always seemed to have on his mug, perhaps morphine?

From what can be seen of Napoleon, it's completely recognizable as him or at least what we all think he looked like.

Don't sell yourself short Bob, you're no slouch in the sculpting arena.

When I was over on Friday, Bob I was going to remark on how I found the likeness of Goering. Very realistic.
Looking through your work also makes me want to delve into subject of WWI and earlier.

Thanks Saul!

I thought that VP Napoleon looked like somebody. I just couldn't figure out who????? I remember him from "The Mask of Zorro", and "Behind Enemy Lines"! You've got a good eye!

Bob

No worries about hijacking with me, I consider threads conversations and don't mind where they go as long as they're interesting.

Thanks for the kind words, if we knew each other back then (not as just wholesale/retail), we could have made some nice kits together.

I think Herman is pretty damn close, you've got the 'cat that swallowed the canary' look he always seemed to have on his mug, perhaps morphine?

From what can be seen of Napoleon, it's completely recognizable as him or at least what we all think he looked like.

Don't sell yourself short Bob, you're no slouch in the sculpting arena.

Thank you Jeff, for the even kinder words! :)

The highjacking is frowned upon here as with most websites, so, I gotta behave or the Moon Pup will slap me around! :)

Bob

When I was over on Friday, Bob I was going to remark on how I found the likeness of Goering. Very realistic.

Looking through your work also makes me want to delve into subject of WWI and earlier.

Thanks Paul,

I'm not much on WW I, although I have done one or two dioramas. I think James Knaus is our resident authority on WW I here on MA, especially on aircraft, which is your thing, but I could be mistaken???[

Bob

Back