• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Black Friday

ausf

Master at Arms
I really have to laugh when I get emails from hyper-specific retailers.

Gas-Patch? Am I really going to be swayed to buy that 1/32 Vickers the day after Thanksgiving?

The non hobby related stuff is even worse, eFaucets? "Honey, it's Black Friday, should we change all our sinks and fixtures?"

Shhh...don't mention faucets...she'll get ideas.

But then again you never know when you'll need a 1:32 vickers.

Retailers have been trying to program "The Potatoes" of our world to believe in perceived bargains.
Some much Buffalo Biscuits to me!! Email fills up, traffic sucks, rudeness abounds.

On what should be the first day of the Christmas Season, "Peace on Earth and Goodwill to Men." (Wimmin-folk too!)
I refuse to join in the Madness. Yeah, Me!?! Right!

I choose remembering this "Black" day with more reverence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43tDYbWNu8k

All y'all are free to make up yer own minds.

Ok, I have to admit I have never done the Black Friday thing.
People would probably just piss me off.
Great video Chris.
Frank

This disease has spread and infected my little bit of africa also Its like the people become zombies They stand for hours in a quee just to get the same special on a tv they could have had last week.

Had to go to the shops last year on Black Friday It was the afternoon and I figured the feeding frenzy would be past at an local company owned by Wallmart Man was I wrong.

I was about 3 metres inside he shop when I turned around and went to another place to get it Saving a few rands are not worth the long wait in the quee to pay or to fight your way through the shop.

If you stay home and think about what this season is supposed to be about you'll remain at peace.

There are another 363 other days you can shop . :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

I haven't been to a Black Friday event yet in my life and I've made it this far, so unless I see a flyer for a Moebius Discovery from 2001 for half price, I'm not joining in this year either.

I'm glad to hear you guys don't add to the fray, it never made sense to me, sort of a 'Let them eat cake' feel.

It's just the specific crap that struck me as extra ridiculous this year. Yeah, I'd love to buy some Boca bearings at 15% off, what with the spendy season starting up and all, nothing but gobs of extra cash to dump on stuff I don't need at the moment.

My wife and I have had an agreement for the last 20 years, Christmas for us is a book and a bottle of wine. Kids are different, but mine are older now so even that isn't a shopping spree anymore.

That's why I've always considered today my favorite Holiday, just a gathering of friends and family with lots of food, no presents, no expectations.

Maybe that's why I resent Black Friday even more, because it puts a damper of an otherwise great Holiday.

I'm with you all. I suppose with age comes the wisdom to realize how important it is to spend the holidays will..Just turned 47 and there always seem to be fewer of my family around to celebrate with. Had a very nice day today with family eating in moderation (thanks to some not so perfect timing from my doctor ;))...my kids are just entering their teens and don't need stuff so much anymore...and I'm the same...models occasionally...maybe a nice bottle of bourbon...and that's about it ;)

As I said the sickness has spread to our far distant shores (PS Game is owned by Wallmart)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh57HUCzuM0&feature=youtu.be

Black Friday, the day after we give thanks for what we have, then go out and fight for more stuff. :blink

:nothingtoad

I really feel it's big box retailers collectively saying 'Wait for the shake'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfXiIXTpE0

Sorry but I do not believe in Black Friday week at all. Why stand around to save money on something you probably didn't even need until you saw it on sale marked down 20% from its 1000% markup?

But if you feel the need to buy the Vickers and don't want it you can always send it to me and I will find a camel or something to haul it around :evil:
James

Back