• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Camera Advice

iambrb

hey gang, I was thinking about a better camera than the little shirt-pocket thing I am currently saddled with...what are y'all using?

Note that my budget is tight, like $250 is perfect. I MIGHT be able to do $300, but that is tough! I was thinking SLR, but I know NOTHING of photography! I posted this here, because this would be used like 75% of the time for taking pics of models, ya know, down close and all that - the rest just life. Any suggestions?

I use a Canon T3i Rebel and that could be had off of Ebay for just a shade over 300 but if you go to the Canon Rebel T3 then that would be just about the right price for you and it would be easier to learn.

I use a Nikon Coolpix L30 and an older Coolpix L24 with a homemade add on gadget for extreme close ups. What I would suggest is to avoid cameras that use special rechargable batteries. My 2 cameras each use 2 AA size batteries. I can use rechargeable AA NiMH batteries or in a pinch regular alkaline AA cells. So easy to obtain AA cells or possibly expensive special cells that might not be available or not charged.

Yeah mine are point and click, but I take several shots of each take and then pick the best of the bunch. They work quite well and should be quite inexpensive at this point.

A must is the battery thing, AA's highly reccomended.
A name brand cam will have some of the best support.
Last but probably the most important woud be a decent basic photo editing program that you can edit, crop, and adjust your photos with.

I use a Canon T3i Rebel and that could be had off of Ebay for just a shade over 300 but if you go to the Canon Rebel T3 then that would be just about the right price for you and it would be easier to learn.

Hmmm....seriously considering the camera type you mentioned!

The Rebel is an outstanding choice if you are willing do really use it, meaning put in a tiny amount of work on teh front end to learn it's capabilities.

I've been using Canon cameras and lenses (35 before digital) for about 35 years now and had the first Rebel (still use it every so often) but use the T3 as my workhorse.

Best part is, it has live view (and video), which means you can download Canon's program, plug the camera into your computer and monitor it live as you play with exposure, lighting depth of field, etc to get great photos. That's what I mean regarding willing to put in the work. If you read the manual and mess around, it's basically a course in photography and you'll be taking magazine quality photos with some effort.

That said, if you're not into that and just want to take snaps of a model, it'll do it well, but there are cheaper alternatives.

As afar as Canon's rechargeable battery. I use the camera almost daily and if I'm not using live view, but just turning it on, snapping 10 photos and turning it off, the charge literally lasts months. I think I spend more time looking for the charger because I use it so infrequently, than I do actually charging.

Back