• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

50's themed club group build and show

Paulw

A couple of months back the club that I belong to decided to do a 50's themed group build and extend it to the show in April. The show is getting to be larger every year and new things are popping up every year as well. We have been sponsored in part by Zoukei-Mura, etc.etc. It is quite the doins. If any of you are in the area we would sure love to have you guys down.

As I have said before it is a 50's themed show. However, this is just not limited to the 1950's but anything that has to do with any subject matter that shows anything from 50 to 59. If there is a car with 56 on the side it qualifies. Well, this put me in a quandary so-to-speak. since I am mostly a airplane modeler I tried to find something that would be unique and in my favorite scale of 32.

I know all of the early jets that have been produced in those early years but to me they aren't quite unique enough so out of the blue while my wife and I were watching some 1960's wing nut shows she suggested that I do the X-15. Bingo! What a woman! So I bought the special hobby X-15A with the early rocket engines. I did some research on the kit and am aware of the foibles of the kit but I need to do a bit more research on the plane it self.

Well any help in this subject would be greatly appreciated and who knows, maybe it will be a real gem.

You wife knows what an X-15 is? She's a keeper!

this should be fun.

The one image that I always like is the one with it loaded on the B52 fully loaded with fuel and you can see the frozen condensation on the outside of the tanks. I always thought that would be neat to model.

:popcorn

When I think of the 50's I am always reminded of the Marines Corsair AU everybody else was building better and better jets and here was the marines still making the Corsair an even better plane.

Yeah they used the Corsair during the Korean War.

I have an OLD book well worn and the spine is a bit ragged. It was given to me back in the early 60's by a neighbor down the street. Has 3 view drawings and B&W photos of basic planes. Titled "The Observers Book of Aircraft" Has a bunch of odd stuff in it. Initial copyright I believe was 1954 with the reprint in 1957. I will go and dig it out.

Back