• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sprue Brothers HIGH shipping cost!

Tankbuilder

Gee wilikers! I was going to order a Dragon Sd kfz251/22 kit or the AFV Club version. That idea just got torpedoed when they informed me that the Dragon kit is $45.00USD for the shipping alone and the AFV Club kit is $40.00 USD alone. Whats with those extremely high shipping rates? I can get a same size kit box delivered all the way from Lithuania, The Russian Federation or the Ukraine for $10.00 USD. I guess Sprue brothers doesn't want Canadian business.

Cheers

Ordering on-line you should get 4 shipping options to my corner of the Great White North (I used the AFV Club kit):

International Economy (combination UPS/USPS) $13.82
First Class International (USPS Air/ no tracking) $17.50
Priority International (USPS Air/limited tracking) $39.75
Express International (USPS Air/tracking) $51.50

I use the first two options mostly. The Economy method can take a little longer to arrive but it usually seems to depend upon the whims of Customs.

Cheers,
Rich

Sprue Brothers has a bizarre shipping program. A few times I've refused to order based on shipping only to have to go back and bite the bullet since it wasn't available anywhere else. Then when I ordered, the actual shipping was beyond reasonable, in both case about a third I think of what was quoted.

Couple that with the USPS wildly overinflated shipping to Canada, I can see where it's a gamble to order.

Yeah, the few times I've ordered from them they quote high for the shipping and then once they've processed the order the shipping is usually a bit less. Kind of like playing Russian roulette though.

Sprue Brothers at least gives you the option to pick your poison and will refund any difference between the on-line guesstimate and actual shipping cost.

Squadron on the other hand, defaults to Priority International. Ordering a kit or a couple of decal sheets that total $25.00 gets you into the $30-$35 range and they have never refunded the difference when actual shipping is less.

Cheers,
Rich

Haven't you heard that fuel is high,wages are high and no one buys from local stores anymore,the opportunity is there to strike while the iron is hot. :nothingtoad

Uncle Tony :eek:ldguy

Haven't you heard that fuel is high,wages are high and no one buys from local stores anymore,the opportunity is there to strike while the iron is hot. :nothingtoad

Uncle Tony :eek:ldguy

My local hobby shop is a 15 miles long bicycle ride from me and I buy from them as much as possible. However I will NOT pay $100.00 (or more) Canadian for that Dragon 251/22 kit.

Why is Spre Brothers so expensive compared to so many others? The shipping prices I was quoted were from an employee NOT from an online calculator.

I figure if I want this kit and reasonable shipping cost I'll just have to look elsewhere for it.

Cheers

I can't explain why but do know shipping stuff from the US to Canada is expensive as I have done it myself a few times.

I did ask the postmaster at my local post office why I could get an item shipped from the other side of the planet for less money than I could ship a package to a neighboring state and he told me the US postal service accepts packages from other countries at what ever rate they charged and get no compensation from the sending country so the cost of delivering the package in this country is absorbed. With commerce from around the world having increased in recent years it's no wonder that postal rates are on the increase.

Back