• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Cool Bit of Nostalgia

Jeeves

My mom recently had some flooding in her basement from a failed sump pump. I went up to visit for the day as we have some family visiting from France. She showed me some stuff she'd salvaged from the basement that she had forgotten she had had. They belonged to my great-grandfather on her dad's side...first a pic of him:
IMG_20170809_164638.jpg

Next up are his discharge papers from 1917-- he was a corporal in the 2nd Company Machine Gun Company.
IMG_20170809_151419880-2099x1181.jpg

Lastly was a form letter he received at the end of the war from Pershing that reminded me of what Ike had sent out to all the troops after D-Day....
IMG_20170809_151337160-1180x2098.jpg

Thought this was all very cool stuff and that you might enjoy seeing it too...

Very nice Mike. I have my grandfathers papers also. Got a couple of post cards from France and a photo of him there. He didn't make it to the front, thankfully.

Thanks for sharing! :drinks

Neat stuff Mike! It is always good to see the old family paperwork. My brother managed to salvage my dads album when he passed away.

Since he ended up 4F during WWII (lost his right eye) he ended up working for the FBI in the 40's version of homeland security. He tried to get into the military 5 or 6 times and had the little 4F cards that he was issued each time as well. He received a big certificate for the service in the Homeland Security and that was in there as well.

Always neat to see!

wow neat stuff! My grandpa served in WW1, had a bunch of uncles that served in WW2, Pop in Korea

That is neat, seeing history come alive like that!

What a magnificent find! Wow, I love seeing things like this. It's these kinds of posts that make coming here so fulfilling.

Back