• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Why do you build the builds that you build?

Paulw

It's a pretty good question. I got to thinking last week why do I like a lot of Luftwaffe aircraft especially 109s and 190s. It is not because of what the aircraft stood for in war time but I enjoy them because of the history, the color schemes and general all around lines of those aircraft. Don't misunderstand me. I like the Spits and Mustangs, the Corsairs and the P40s but there is something about all the different colors and schemes that piques my interest.

I don't read much about history any more because I have a hard time concentrating unless it is non stop action or intrigue that is being told in the read. I have a friend that consumes masses amounts of information on everything armor and all the history that goes along with it. He even can dissect a Panzer and probably draw an illustrated prats breakdown of that vehicle. Like him, some guys can do said same with cars, ships and planes or whatever.

My question is, " What is it that turns your screws about the modeling subjects that you enjoy"?

I just like building models, the subject is secondary to me. I'll build most anything. I do like aircraft more, that's just me. My Dad was a pilot when I was growing up so hanging out at the county airport was common. Going to local airshows and riding home in the co-pilot seat of an Aero Commander after watching Bob Hoover do his thing was an extra treat.

Why do I build, because they are there. :soldier :pilot

I guess what really keeps me going is I try not to settle on just one thing...I concentrated for years on just 1/48 WWII aircraft...then shifted to 1/48 armor, cars, and the occasional figure. Currently I am on a modern armor kick that started with the MBT build...

My entire personality was shaped by Mad Magazine, Universal and Japanese Monster movies, Star Trek and the World At War series.

As a kid, I built mostly Monogram WWII subjects, specifically Pacific AC.

As an adult, it was a 1/72 TIger I that got me back into modeling, so I was deep into WWII German Armor for a long time, then I started to sprinkle in some AC (again going back to the Pacific stuff) and following up with a couple of 109s and 190s, like you based on camo patterns.

The last 2 years or so I gone almost exclusively figures, mainly Universal, Batman, and other B movie Sci FI stuff.

So yeah, it's just reliving the simple days.

For me it is what floats my boat at the time (though not many boats are in my stash ;) ) I personally like the WWII German, Italian, and Russian stuff jsut because it interests me. The history I will learn as a bit of an add on to make a more accurate model. Sometimes it just has to be something different. :hmmm

Hmmmmm.....deep question.

I build because .....

of TV
of Movies
of History
My Dad was a (tank commander)
My Uncle Bob was (at Pearl Harbor 1941)
My Uncle Jim was (a modeler before it was cool)
My Cousin Bobby was (in Vietnam)
of Science Fiction
I'm fascinated by miniatures
I'm in awe of master modelers ( Bob, Alex, and Shep etc....)
I like to see how detailed I can get it
when I am modeling I'm in my own world.....just me. I can fly a B-17 or push a Panther across the Russian countryside. My imagination is free and I can recreate it. No one giving me funny looks. No one asking why. Just me and that kit.

I build models because the fun really begins when I'm at the work bench. Just me and that kit.

B)

Just for the pure fun and because I have found the best bunch of guys on the internet on here that is willing to spend some time looking at the crap I make - So thanks to you all.

For me it is what floats my boat at the time (though not many boats are in my stash ;) ) I personally like the WWII German, Italian, and Russian stuff jsut because it interests me. The history I will learn as a bit of an add on to make a more accurate model. Sometimes it just has to be something different. :hmmm

Not to be difficult, Paul but what is it about them that piques your intrest

Just for the pure fun and because I have found the best bunch of guys on the internet on here that is willing to spend some time looking at the crap I make - So thanks to you all.

You just had to make it difficult, didn't you? :drinks

Been away for awhile doing summer field work. Got at least 2 more weeks coming up, then a couple weeks at home before going back out to sea for a bit.

As most of you probably know, my favourites are the flying boats and float/sea planes. I love the look of them, the marriage of the sea and the sky together and that they represent (for the most part) an era gone by.

Next, I love the WWII Japanese subjects, mostly because they built a lot of interesting looking aircraft and that they aren't built as much as all the other subjects you see most of the time.

Third is torpedo bombers for some reason, mostly because I think its cool seeing a plane with a large torp slung underneath.

Lastly, any plane that others consider ugly, not overly popular or an "oddball" that you don't usually see, or that strikes my fancy.

Back