• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wondering what your preferences are....

nsmekanik

After a decal disaster, nothing irreparable, I got to wondering, as I was recovering :drunk from the truama, what everyone's favorite decal softener was. Then I got to thinking :frantic about what peoples preferences were for WWII army Olive Drab and Airforce Olive Drab, and for late war German armour colors.

I've been around the Olive drab thing 1500+ times and from what I gather a good starting point is Tamiya XF 62 Olive drab mixed 2:1 with XF 60 for vehicles.

Inquiring minds wanna know :skipper

:drinks

Decal softener? Back and forth from Microsol to Walthers solvaset. I tried the Mr Softer stuff and the Humbrol stuff and aren't that impressed.

I usually start with the Micro stuff first, if I need more horse power I move up to Solvaset and then Champs, which is no longer available but was some potent stuff. Of late I'm getting totally disenchanted with decals and the last couple kits I've done I've painted all but a couple the markings and find it much less frustrating.

I got a bottle of the Champs also Gary, someone need to reverse engineer that stuff. I'm with Gary on this, start with Micro, then Solvaset and the nuke option after that.

As far as OD is concerned, I'm very particular and exact about the color, I always refer back to this photo my Dad took in Korea in '52.
3-16-2006-36.jpg

:soldier

Thanks for the replies, basically I hit a couple of AreoMaster decals with some very old Polyscale decal softener and the decal suddenly bubbled up like some organic blob monster in a science experiment, then I switched to a newer jar of the same which worked a bit better but then I went on to ruin 2 more sets of decals......no problems with the Superscale Swastikas though :hmmm

I have a 20+? jar of Solvaset that 2/3rds full but the last time I tried it nothing happened so I have a suspicion there is a shelf life to the stuff....I also have a bottle of Mr.Softer and it actually works best with Tamiya/Hasegawa decals but the rest.....not so much, So I think it's time for a new bottle of Solvaset and some Microsol :D

Interesting Pic Bob...Strange how it is that the uniforms match top to bottom but not side to side, the boots are a little off but the head gear matches pretty well fabric to fabric, Yet.....you know....the Helmets, the painted stuff, seems to match pretty exactly, and I got some plastik Merikan Metal to paint. More reading to do I guess... :frantic

Back