• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

UMM Punchset

nsmekanik

I'm seriously thinking about picking one up, and as they have several different sizes, I'm wondering which sizes might be the best to get. Or maybe a better way to ask it is for those of you who use those which sizes do you use the most?

I have both of the old Waldron punch sets. The miniature and the micro miniature. I use them both about equally (and a lot). If you mainly build tiny stuff then get the smaller punches first. Can never have too many of these kinds of tools.

I agree, the smaller sizes are harder to find as larger punches can be bought even in craft shops. While I read that the Thinnerline circle cutter is able to do small punches (left over from cutting out a circle) the thickness is limited to the cutter installed. If you need a deeper disk, you'll probably have to change the blade after using the circle cutter for masking.

Regards,

I have the Waldron sets as well . Since I build 1/72 , I use the smaller set most but I use both.

To be honest, there are always sizes that are not availbe which is why that cutter that James picked up would be very nice to have.

Cheers, Christian B)

I have two sets of UMM punches, the .8 to 1.4 round and the .6 to 1.6 hex. These sets are well made and do a fine job of making bolt heads,nuts and washers from thin styrene or thick foil to fit many scales. Highly recommended, even if they are somewhat pricey. :good:

Thanks for the input :)

I really like that circle cutter and is something I know I would make a lot of use of so maybe I'll look into that one first, but I also think that the punch set wouldn't end up as a layabout.......so much stuff and so little cash :frantic I'm going to have to do some serious analysis :beer

Which round set do you have Mike? 1 or 2? Other then the Diameter of the base I'm not sure what the difference is.

This is what I have.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_145&products_id=5243

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_145&products_id=1870

I probably ought to add another to my tool box...

I have a problem with not getting a clean cut on the punch, might be because mine is not UMM brand, don't know.

Thanks Mike

Lets see, altogether the 3+ items add up to $178.+ Canajun which is about 10.5 bottles of ok wine (yes I'm a wino) or 12 6 packs or about 4-5 bottles of good scotch :idonno more analysis needed :drinks

Probably going to go for the punch set

Thanks Mike

Lets see, altogether the 3+ items add up to $178.+ Canajun which is about 10.5 bottles of ok wine (yes I'm a wino) or 12 6 packs or about 4-5 bottles of good scotch :idonno more analysis needed :drinks

Probably going to go for the punch set

You must have expensive taste in beer. :drinks

Funny! :rotf

One must carefully consider one's options when comparing the desire for good modeling tools and the appropriate "lubricating fluids" to keep the wheels of Model Mojo in motion. :idonno

Tough call. :drinks :ro: (y) :gogo

Liquid creativity enhancer, as it were...

h22f478a.jpg

:drinks

Back