• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My all time favorite painting finally in styrene..

ausf

Master at Arms
Loved this Frazetta since the 70s when I first saw it as a Molly Hatchett album cover.

Moebius finally released it and I was all over it. A bit of a let down since a lot of detail isn't faithful to the painting, but nothing that can't be overcome. First thing was to use fiber optics to get the eyes to glow, it's a focal point of the painting.

The kit kind of humanizes the figure when he certainly isn't of the earth in the original painting, it's the Death Dealer after all.

Here's the box, kit and the eye work. I'm either going to have it occasionally blink or breathe via fading (or both) just to make it more disturbing.

h908fb60.jpg

hbd2d787.jpg

We have my wife's copy of the painting in the garage, I showed her the model when it came out and now she wants one. :laugh:

Looking forward to following this. B)

Crank it up, y'all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci3afKw_mcY

:drinks

I'll start a proper thread since you guys are interested.

The figure forum seems to be where threads go to die...oh more appropriately, meet the Death Dealer... :D

I need to get into the nitty gritty now, seem closing and correcting the chain mail, spurs, tack, etc.

Moebius did a great job on the horse, but some other the other stuff just doesn't make sense. For example, they made the horns natural while the painting is clearly the same metal as the helmet. Again, no big deal to correct, just removing some lines, but I wonder why they recommended painting them ivory, didn't they look at the box art?

I always saw this thing as the Reaper, but the kit is more Conan-like. Don't get wrong though if it sounds like I'm complaining, it's a great kit, highly recommended if it's your interest, even at $50. It's just unforced errors make me scratch me head... :hmmm

Was it that late MP? I thought I moved on by high school, but I guess not. I remember the original singer, but he quit and that was it for me with them.

Whaaaaaaat! :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool

Will have to keep my eyes open for one of these. In the meantime I will be watching this closely.

I knew this was in the works. Always liked this figure and have a 25mm version from my D&D days. I think it was put out by Ral Partha. They did a number of these type figures.

Glad to see it has been released. Let us know what things you feel need correcting Jeff, I will be watching!

:popcorn

Was it that late MP? I thought I moved on by high school, but I guess not. I remember the original singer, but he quit and that was it for me with them.

Molly Hatchet's first album was 78, Flirtin' with Disaster was '79. But the artwork was around longer than that, they just borrowed it.

Molly Hatchet's first album was 78, Flirtin' with Disaster was '79. But the artwork was around longer than that, they just borrowed it.

Cool. Yeah, my first exposure to Frazetta was that album and I entered high school in '79. Southern Rock (except Freebird maybe) wasn't too popular in a NYC public school back then, basically you had the punk movement or early metal.

Being the redneck I am, punk wasn't on our tape decks....:rotf :dude
Hatchet was ok but the classic trailblazers Allman Brothers, Skynyrd, CDB, Marshall Tucker, CCR, ZZTop, The Outlaws
they rocked! :ro:

Sorry for the hijack.

:popcorn

No hijack, whatsoever. Having a conversation, learning about growing up in different areas.

That time was the high point of punk and metal before it split into different types, especially in these parts with CBGBs and the Palladium. For crying out loud, Zeppelin was still touring. I remember when my high school walked out on the news that Bonham died. Saw Priest and Maiden as warmup bands in 2000 seat venues back then when tickets were $12 and you had to stand on line at a record store to get 'em.

I'm surprised to hear ZZ Top mentioned, I always kind of thought of them as a gimmicky MTV type deal later on in the late 80s.

Too Fargin' COOL!! :ro: Bounty Hunter! Dreams I'll never see! I hear ya talking Danny Joe Brown!

I'm surprised to hear ZZ Top mentioned, I always kind of thought of them as a gimmicky MTV type deal later on in the late 80s.

Yeah they got caught up in that era of MTV, when they actually had music videos but you gotta listen to their early stuff, 70s...
Tres Hombres, Deguello, EL Loco... have mercy..
:coolio

Yeah I guess you can say they sold out but they have returned to their roots, can you blame them for cashing in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ogMMNXiZR0

Someone has the full Tres Hombres on youtube... :woohoo: :coolio :coolio :ro:

Got all Frazettas works , was 20 yrs old when Death Dealer1 was painted in 73 . I copied it in pastel chalk on a 4x8 piece of sheet rock for a friend . Got a quarter lb of red for that one .
The hatchet cover was 1978 , was 28 yrs old then .
I also used to copy album covers on the back of jean jackets in oils , my fav was Steppenwolf live album cover with the wolf face , can't remember how many of those I did .
Used to make a lot of money doin those , can't remember why I stopped .........................

Back