• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sprue sadness

ausf

Master at Arms
My son is trying to earn some cash and he's cleaning the basement. He brought me a bunch of Rubbermaid totes (the big ones) full of sprues. I forgot about them, years back I put a huge amp box full of armor kits in the basement and we had water, so all the boxes were tossed leaving bins of sprues. I'm about to sort through and most likely toss these now.

man that is ROUGH! If you can ID them by type,then it should be possible to get instructions for them, and then after market decals, which I am betting is till cheaper than having to pony-up for new kits these days, so i would not be too quick to toss them

Maybe, If you are lucky, the sprues will still be bagged, in which case ID should be easy. All of my opened kits are still bagged, and I've had most of them for a good many years. Take a look and don't be hasty in tossing those kits. Aftermarket decals aren't that hard to deal with.

I'm not bothered by the condition, just that these were all 'must have' kits about 8-10 years ago that I'd never get to. My sons have routed through them, but even if If I wanted to, I've already bought another lifetime's worth of stash since then of newer 'must haves'. I even have two kits on the way with a pile of stuff on the bench which would take me years to complete.

I wish there were an IPMS chapter that I could donate them too or even local scouts, etc, but my kids are entering college at this point, so I don't have contact with younger kids these days.

Just a thought, but if your son is trying to earn money, what about selling bagged lots on ebay? Rhino sells things that way, with an auction starting at $0.99. I'd think he might do better than you might guess. Don't cost nothin' but a little time. :coolio

I thought of that Mike, but earlier this year I came across about a dozen DML German figure kits in loose sprue that I had zero intention of getting to, so as a part of cleaning up, I put them on eBay for $20. After a few months I got an offer something like $10 and took it.

I appreciate the suggestion though, I'll ask him if he's interested.

Let me sort through them and let you guys know, don't think there's anything useable.

At first glance, looks like my boys really went to town on them, The only thing still in bags appears to be the DML Jagdtiger. A bunch of Tigers, a few Shermans and Pz Is, a Tristar 38(t) and some KV variants. Whole Lotta track links.

Sorry Mike, I was never a big Panther guy, I have a started D somewhere safe and I bought the Ersatz M-10 for reference to convert my 1/16 RC. No IIIs anywhere in my collection either, I was always drawn to StuGs and DAK IVs.

I feel your heart break, Brother. I stock all my stuff upstairs, for just that reason. Sometimes when $$ is short or I'm feelin blue, or when a re-issue comes out, I go "Shop in my own store first". Open a box and just look, and remember. Opened kits get their decals and clear parts sealed in zip-baggies, just to preserve model fun!

I've sold several lots of model airplane parts under the title "Airplane-A-Palooza" I've done 7 so far. One sold for $41.00 and one sold for $9.00, plus shipping. I "inherited" a bunch of stuff with missing parts, started model kits, and gigantic box of model mish-mash. You never know how it's gonna play out. It's kinda fun to see what people will spend on stuff that is worth little in my eyes. :facepalm

Let me sort through them and let you guys know, don't think there's anything useable.

At first glance, looks like my boys really went to town on them, The only thing still in bags appears to be the DML Jagdtiger. A bunch of Tigers, a few Shermans and Pz Is, a Tristar 38(t) and some KV variants. Whole Lotta track links.

Sorry Mike, I was never a big Panther guy, I have a started D somewhere safe and I bought the Ersatz M-10 for reference to convert my 1/16 RC. No IIIs anywhere in my collection either, I was always drawn to StuGs and DAK IVs.

I've been looking for an inexpensive 1/35 scale Pz. I for a while now to put into me "Tank Developement" collection. I'd be willing to buy one from you.

Let me know and cheers

Back