• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PE survey.

ausf

Master at Arms
This place has a good cross section of modeling tastes and abilities so it's a good place to ask this.

For you PE users, do you use an existing PE specific bending tool or just use grab a good set of tweezers?

Well I built this thing with smooth plyers and other things.
M2A1021001.jpg

and didn't get a real bending tool till I was almost done.

The one bending tool that was most recommended is out of production...:smack

I now have several tools, UMM brand bending brake and their 8" folding tool thing are two that I use most often. Haven't done a lot of PE lately.

If I ever get a resistance soldering station I would likely try this kit again. Working doors would be wild!

I use what ever it takes,bending tool,needle nose,tweezers and even the back of my thumb nail.

PE has gotten so expensive I don't use it much anymore.

Uncle Tony :eek:ldguy

Yes.

Okay I have a small and a large bending tool, some flat jawed pliers and my favorite tweezers to bend metal. I wanted to get a break but I missed out on the chance. I think RB Productions makes a brake but from what I have heard it is less than optimal.

Always looking for good tools.
James

I have the Mission Models Etch Mate 3G. It resides in a drawer and I rarely use it. I find I have difficulty getting the parts to line up where I need to bend them, maybe it's just me. I don't do large photo etch like Bob's halftrack just tiny stuff for wingy things and I find tweezers, flat jaw pliers and even a single edge razor blade or a #17 X-acto chisel blade do everything I need.

Tweezers and pliers for bending, handles from files and other round things for bending into curved shapes!

Yes.

Okay I have a small and a large bending tool, some flat jawed pliers and my favorite tweezers to bend metal. I wanted to get a break but I missed out on the chance. I think RB Productions makes a brake but from what I have heard it is less than optimal.

Always looking for good tools.
James

That's the one I have and yes, the metal is soft, I have already nicked it along the bend line but I can still work around it when need.

I too have the Etchmate and yes, it is sometimes hard to get the part exactly where you want it. Being made of plastic, it does have some limitations.

The bender of which we inferred has been on my radar since Saul showed one, too bad they aren't still available. ;)

Hoping a suitable replacement becomes available soon. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more. B)

Back