Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread

2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread 18 Feb 2017 16:56 #37

Those all look fantastic. Some even look like you'll get them over the finish line fairly quick too. I admire the excellence of your work on each of these. I really hope to see that Zero in those hypothetical markings, that will be interesting!

Bring them on my friend!

The administrator has disabled public write access.

2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread 23 Feb 2017 18:03 #38

Hello everyone and welcome to my newest small update and another exciting episode of "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"! Yes, in trying to finish these two large aircraft I'm working on, I have encountered even more setbacks. It's as if these two refuse to be completed.

Let's start with the big B-377...

I had finished re-coating this and set it aside to dry and later picked it up to start removing the window masking. That's when I found this. It's hard to see in the pic, but it is a blemish on my perfect upper fuselage from running clearcoat:

So, after masking as seen in this previous pic; I sanded this smooth and re-shot it with the now-decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminum. I think I got it close enough to how it was before:

Finally, I felt I could move along on this. I decided to remove all the window masking to prevent my breaking the landing gear and gear doors (among other things) later on. It seemed to go pretty well at the start:

Then I got to the other side. You can see how windows 1,2 and 4 fell inside the plane. Now I have a wonderful little high-pitched rattle inside this plane! Yippee!

Well, they weren't coming out so I did the only thing I could. Out came the window making fluid and now I have new windows:

My apologies for that poor pic, I was so frustrated with those three windows!

Moving on to Episode Two of "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back", we have my efforts to fix the aluminum coat on the C-118 which cracked. As you recall, I had shot the plane thusly:

Later I peeled off the Tamiya tape and lo and behold; it pulled a little of the white off with it, despite my clearcoating efforts! Okay, no problem; I was able to hide most of it under the 'cheat line'. Still some of it remained visible:

I primed it with a brush, masked it off again using the same technique with the B-377 and then decanted some white again. Here it is ready for me to spray:

Later on after spraying a couple coats of white and clearcoat; I pulled the Tamiya tape off and was gifted with a pain free and complete finish:

Finally! Now I can move forward on this.... again! Given the difficulty I've had in the past with this and with the B-377 decals, I pulled the decals for the C-118 and applied Liquid Decal Film to them. I just don't want to take any more chances!

That's all I got done for now. I hope you like it. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread 09 Mar 2017 00:05 #39

Hey all, here's some further small updates here.

I puttered around doing some detail stuff to the Hampden which I did not take pics of. That bird is practically done anyway; I might as well wait and post pics of the finished model.

Later on, I pulled out my Soviet Carrier Baku and started to decal the deck. These are some delicate decals indeed and they don't lay down very well. However once I got started; I realized that I still needed to paint a yellow strip down one section of the deck, some of which has to be covered by decals. That put an end to this task right here:

Yes, later on I did apply some decal solvent to eliminate the silvering. The yellow stripe is now painted and I can hopefully move forward on this again.

Finally, I started on the P/E screen for my T-14 Armata tank. It was tough; I didn't get very far:

You can see how much more needs to be done; but that took me about 45 minutes or so to do as it is. And I have one more of these to do.....

That's all I have for now on my Shelf Queens so far. How about all you other guys? Show me what you got!

2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread 09 Mar 2017 11:44 #40

Looks good Mark. :thumbsup
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread 10 Mar 2017 11:15 #41

Thanks Bob! It is quite a challenge!

2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread 25 Mar 2017 04:44 #42

Ok, working on the MPM Arado!!

Got it masked up for painting. You can see Beth's latest project too off to the right!

added the rigging on the floats with stretched sprue and some bombs and fiddly bits that always break off

and got a first coat of paint on the undersides!

• sharkman
  • sharkman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
Warren

On the Bench: Lost count!

2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread 25 Mar 2017 15:30 #43

Looking great Warren, and thanks for keeping this Thread alive. Tell Beth her plane is looking particularly awesome as well! Keep it coming Warren!

2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread 31 Mar 2017 14:12 #44

I love the idea of finishing a few shelf Queens so here is one I am doing

h8b3d56e.JPG
  • SA Dave
  • SA Dave
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier

2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread 31 Mar 2017 14:26 #45

Welcome Dave, and thanks for joining us here. I'm looking forward to seeing this get completed.

2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread 31 Mar 2017 14:36 #46

Duke Maddog wrote:
Welcome Dave, and thanks for joining us here. I'm looking forward to seeing this get completed.
ME 2 hahahaha
  • SA Dave
  • SA Dave
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier

2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread 31 Mar 2017 16:50 #47

Go for it Dave, get'er finished!!

Was home sick today but did a little more on here.

This is my first attempt at a night fighter scheme. I thought I'd do this one up as a what-if night attack Arado 196. I added an engine, prop and spinner from a Tamiya FW 190 kit and some radar antenna from a Revell BF 110 kit.

Unfortunately, I broke the bottom rigging for the floats while painting. I'll have to replace that now!! :bangs head :bangs head
  • sharkman
  • sharkman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
Warren

Last Edit: 31 Mar 2017 16:51 by sharkman.

2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread 02 Apr 2017 14:31 #48

Got the decals on...

• sharkman
  • sharkman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
Warren

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds