• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

2017 Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread

Duke Maddog

Well, I'm a little late but here it is. This is the Modeler's New Year's Resolution Thread for all of you who have resolved to finish one or more Shelf Queen; difficult or bothersome models this year. This Thread is open to anyone who wishes to resolve to complete something; all you have to do is post it here and continue posting until you either finish it or give up.

Okay, let the Games begin.....

Cool! If I can finish at least half my SOD kits I will be doing good! Hoping this will keep me inspired to finally get them finished and out of the way (y)
Ernie

Okay, I'm going to start here. These are the models I resolve to try and finish this year. There are eighteen of them, but I don't expect to finish all of them this year. It is possible I guess; but my Modeler's New Years resolution for 2017 is to finish at least half of these listed. Given that a number of them are fairly close to being done, I might just succeed there. Any more that I finish above half is just icing on the cake.

Okay, let's start with my aircraft....

I have eight aircraft that I'm going to work on this year and try to finish.

To start, here is number one: it's a 1/72 scale F/A-18 Hornet that has been fighting me all this time. I've had to repaint this at least four times and replace the broken tail piece five times. It's the one that is missing again....

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_I.jpg

Next is another modern aircraft that I'd forgotten about until I started cleaning up and found it. I'd started this a couple years ago and put it aside. It's time to get this finished: it's the Tamiya F-35 in 1/72 scale:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_XIV.jpg

Mind you, this is only the second Tamiya aircraft I've ever built...

Next is a commission build I really need to get started on again. All I have to do is mask the lower surfaces and paint the upper camouflage pattern; then I can move on to finish it. This is the ancient Airfix Handley Page Hampden in 1/72 scale:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_II.jpg

While we are on the subject of WWII aircraft, I also have this 1/72 scale Italeri Me-110 Zestorer to finish up. It was a gift from a friend of mine and I really should get it done:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_XI.jpg

Additional prop planes I need to finish are these next two. First up is my 1/72 scale C-118 Liftmaster for the Cargo Haulers Campaign. I don't see myself finishing this in time for that so it'll have to go into the Second Chance campaign. I'm still trying to get a smooth enough coat on it for both the white and metallic coats of paint:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_VII.jpg

She's a big one too.

Another "horse" I need to finish is this 1/72 scale B-377 airliner. I'm still trying to get a smooth coat for it too:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_VIII.jpg

The last two aircraft seem to be some small and simple models but they aren't. These are my two WWI aircraft I started for my Canvas Eagles game. The Revell 1/72 scale SE-5 was almost done, but then the wings and rigging all fell apart. In addition to that, I lost one of the horizontal stabilizers:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_XV.jpg

This next one could possibly go faster if I can get the decals colored in for the lozenge pattern underneath. Otherwise this Revell 1/72 scale Fokker D-VII would be further along:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_XVI.jpg

Moving on now to my ground vehicles, I only have two. I put them in this one picture, but it shows my two UM Models 1/72 scale Russian Armored Trains that I still need to complete:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_IX.jpg

Next are my ships and boats....

First up on my ships and boats is this Airfix 1/72 scale RAF Rescue Launch. I just need to mask and paint this up before I can move on:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_III.jpg

Next up is this Lindbergh kit of the President's Liner. I have a long way to go on this one:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_XVII.jpg

Last ship I need to finish for the FSM Aircraft Carrier Group Build and our own Shipbuilder's Campaign is this Hobby Boss 1/700 scale Soviet Carrier Baku. I have the deck painted and clearcoated for the decals. Then after that I can add some more P/E and finish off the details:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_XII.jpg

I had an other boat to add to this but I just finished it so feel free to go check it out.

Finally, here's some things most people don't expect me to be building but I have started them anyway. These are the automobiles that have intrigued me and so I'm building them.

First is this Revell 1/24 scale Rebel Racer Corvette. I still need to get that body smoothed out and shot with another shiny red coat:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_IV.jpg

Here's another red car that I did and thankfully managed to get a nice smooth coat on this! Now all I need is to find the engine for this Revell 1/24 scale Monkeemobile:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_X.jpg

Here's another crazy model I got from my brother's boss. It's the Revell 1/24 scale California Cruiser VW bus that I started to paint. I'm not doing the funky green color on this; rather I'm doing the white over blue color on the outside with a powder blue interior:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_V.jpg

Finally there's a memory I'm building: the old 1/24 scale Mach 5 from Speed Racer! I got this painted white, and have done most of the interior. Time to move on with this one:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_VI.jpg

Last but not least, there is this 'horse' I also need to finish. This is the Monogram 1/72 scale Space Shuttle with Boosters. I have finally gotten a decent white on this and now I need to start masking it off and getting more detail paint on it:

2017_Modeling_Resolutions_XIII.jpg

Okay, that's my Modeling New Year's resolution: to finish at least half of those models listed above.

Now, I've shown you mine, you show me yours. Let's see who else wishes to join me here.

I'll have to scrounge up some pics of my F-8.....which actually got some paint on the top side last week. :eek:hmy:

Cool! If I can finish at least half my SOD kits I will be doing good! Hoping this will keep me inspired to finally get them finished and out of the way (y)
Ernie

Ernie you slipped in while I was making my post. I do hope you get inspired to get some of your Shelf Queens finished; that's the purpose of this Thread. Post them here when you can; I'd love to see what you got going.

You got a lot of work to do young man! :soldier

Yeah, this will keep me pretty busy this year..... :D :good:

I'll have to scrounge up some pics of my F-8.....which actually got some paint on the top side last week. :eek:hmy:

Great! I'm looking forward to seeing it. I'm hoping to finish my F-8 Crusader sometime this week. All I need to do is add the landing gear, gear doors, weapons and fiddly bits; then remove the cockpit masking. Looking forward to seeing your Shelf Queen.

Hi Duke, thanks. I will try to post up one tonight. I made an informal list the other day when you mentioned starting this, and off the top of my head I had 31 :blush: :blush: kits on it, covering most subjects. So I think I am just going to pick one at a time and go with it. Some have been packed away back in the basement and stuff so getting a group shot would take some work.....plus Mrs.S would not be happy seeing them dragged back out again :fencing
Now, partially, in my defense some of these kits were started as "busy work". I work second shift so when I get home sometimes Mrs.S wants to watch a movie or something so instead of disappearing off to the craft room I will grab a kit and sit there and glue the wings together etc. just to do "something" modeling related. Obviously it is not practical to grab out a 1/2 dozen bottles of paint, the Optivisor, etc. and try to detail a cockpit or whatever while I am watching a movie with her. But non the less, these kits have now been started and need to get finished up as well.
Ernie

Cool beans I have been working on a few shelf queens also I will post up a few pictures in a few days after the first week of a new school year and all the chaos that comes with that is finished.

Ok here is a list of some of what I hope to finally finish off.

1/48 scale

MQ-9, He-100, J8M1, DFW Floh,P-40 with Kilmov engine conversion, Me-163, Me-163S,F-117,RF-80,P-51H,F-94C, Lightning T.4, Rare Bear air racher, Gnat, T-45,Me-109C

1/144

Yak-11 glider, A-319, 737-800, 757-200

1/350

I-400 sub, USS Thresher, Japanese Transport, HMS Ambercrombie

1/35
JSU-122, SdKfz 11 Late,Su-100/1, Guideline missile, pak gun, BergePanze IV (I think I started this??)

Misc

MPC Titan rocket, Hannabau flying saucer, Polar lights Star Trek Klingon ship

So, there ya have it, and sadly I am sure there is more lurking in the storage boxes in the basement ;) Oh well, we'll see if I can finally put a dent in some of these.
Ernie

DAMN THATS A BIG LIST!!!!! :woohoo:

I wont be adding a list I will just take one of my 11 or so shelfqueens at a time :fencing

Dave, yes it is, but when you consider that I usually finish about+ models a year; it ain't nothing but a meatball. And by all means, pick a Shelf Queen, add it to the Thread and work on it until it is done. You can make the list if you want of all 11 models just so everyone knows what you have lingering, but it's not necessary. The important thing is that you get going on one and work on it till you get it done; then you can move on to the next one to see how many you can finish this year. That is what this Thread is for.

Dave and Ernie, I look forward to seeing the first progress you make. Razor, looking forward to seeing your list too.

Rain is coming here so I'll have some bench time. Let's see what I can get moving on then...

My first priority is going to be sorting out all these toys of the kids now that they are older. Got our Keep - Giveaway - sell - and chuckaway piles going by now
h0ab9e84.JPG

PS this is only about a third of it all Got to get all the right parts together etc

Wow, that is quite the mess Dave. Good luck with that.

This is posted elsewhere too, but I'm adding it to this since it was submitted here. It's just a very small update which took far longer than it did to mention it.

After hours and hours of additional sanding, I finally managed to get an acceptably smooth metallic coat on this C-118. I even shot a clear gloss coat over it to protect it now. I can finally move on with this and add the white on top:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXI.jpg

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXII.jpg

Okay, that's it. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get more done on this model and others on this list. Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

WOW! Beautiful finish you have there Duke (y) (y) (y)
That really looks super, that will look stunning when it is finished.
Ernie

Great thread Duke! I'm personally hoping to get some of the shelf queens knocked out this year myself. My goal is 2, didn't want to be overly ambitious.

Good Luck!

BTW - the finish on the C-118 looks really nice.

Thanks for the compliment guys! I am so glad I finally got a decent finish on this after five long months.

Mike, I'm looking forward to seeing your shelf queens. Feel free to post them here; along with all progress you make on them.

Here's another short update showing the last five to six hours of work. I managed to get some progress done on a few of my Shelf Queens so here they are. I also posted this in the "What's on the Workbench" Thread as well.

To start with, I masked off the C-118 Cargo plane so I could start the white flowing:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXIII.jpg

Next, I got some Wal-Mart 96-cent can of white and shot it over the top of this model. This is the first coat; I think I'll be adding a few more coats. It's a little hard to see in this pic, but I assure you it is there:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXIV.jpg

The white came out grainy; probably because I was trying to 'mist' it on and shot from a bit too far away. I'll polish it down before adding further coats.

Next up, I masked off the Hampden to prepare it for the camouflage pattern:

WIP_HP_Hampden_XI.jpg

WIP_HP_Hampden_XII.jpg

I'll try to shoot that tomorrow as it got too late to fire up the compressor to airbrush it. We'll see, but at least it's ready to move on.

Finally, while I was trying to get a great coat on the Liftmaster, I figured I'd also try to get a better coat on the B-377. I sanded down all the blemishes and filler, sometimes even getting back down to the bare plastic:

WIP_B_377_V.jpg

Next I shot a Mr. Surfacer 1000 primer on the bare areas and buffed it smooth:

WIP_B_377_VI.jpg

Afterward, I shot the bare metal finish on this again. In this pic; it is still wet so it is really shiny here. Because of that, some of the reflections look like blemishes, but this turned out fairly smooth this time:

WIP_B_377_VII.jpg

Later on I went back to look at this and I did see a few very minor blemishes, but not nearly as many as I found before. I should be able to buff them out well enough to shoot a clearcoat on this later and then start decaling. By then, hopefully the C-118 will also be ready for a clearcoat and I can decal both of these at the same time. I might even get the Hampden ready for a clearcoat as well.

That's all for now. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get further along on these yet again. Until then, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

h52ab058.JPG

hc335e8c.JPG

h0da7ea7.JPG

h76ed2f8.JPG

h2b57892.JPG

I have 2 projects that elude finishing. A P-26 Peashooter and a diorama featuring a downed P-47 and a German Flackpanzer. Gary S.

Back