• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter KV-85

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
This kit has long been on my to do list, I asked Alan Horner to find me one a few years back, he brought it to me at a recent show. Saul was kind enough to send me a set of correct tracks for it, the kit tracks are too wide. I've spent several hours looking at photos, I just love this burly hunk of iron! Let's see what we can do with it.

haa19fb5.JPG

h19b3bf5.JPG

Lots of sprues and PE in the kit, plus individual link tracks.
The hull assembles in several parts, requiring a little assistance.

hcef4f74.JPG

hdf803bd.JPG

PE vs kit piece.

hb765f6f.JPG

Instant hull, just add time and glue.

hb8ab226.JPG

h0016676.JPG

I left off a couple of the brackets and bent it a little, as if scrambling troops used the step.

Aves Apoxie for weld beads.

h5a50958.JPG

There's lots of different sized weld beads and varying techniques and textures. :laugh: I also used Evergreen quarter round and silver solder to produce beads.

h3f0c677.JPG

ha19cf19.JPG

h58fa956.JPG

I got a little carried away and will have to remove some welds to fit the fenders. :huh:

hc7e1486.JPG

The turret, more welding to come.

h1a26d54.JPG

hd630b5b.JPG

hb1f15d0.JPG

h54cb628.JPG

More to come, thanks for dropping by!

:drinks

Fun with fire!

hcf852a4.JPG

I purchased a ceramic honeycomb soldering block awhile back, the holes and pins make alignment easy and secure.

h742035d.JPG

h629a7ea.JPG

hc3b6828.JPG

h3d4c592.JPG

I scratched up a junction box for the headlight and horn wiring, lead wire is just the ticket. Here's the real thing.

h647d1d2.jpg

What a rat's nest!

h7002fac.JPG

h4931b3e.JPG

h840a447.JPG

h8deb1a6.JPG

All the wheels, fenders and tanks are just mocked up for photos, I'm just about ready to start priming. More welding to happen, stay tuned.

Thanks for coming by!

It seems the kit tracks are KV sized but apparently, the actual tracks are the narrower JS1-3 sized. I do not know the source of the tracks Saul sent. The kit tracks are on top.

h39f0519.JPG

The kit tracks are nice if you are building a KV-1 or KV-2. :eek:hyeah

More to come. Thanks for following along.

AWESOME!

Those ejector pin marks do not look like much fun! Just glad to see you doing something Russian there, comrade!!!!

h47f085f.jpg

you've likely seen all these, but they are neat just the same:

h0fa9091.jpg

hd157d83.jpg

hc5c4e92.jpg

hefc51fe.jpg

h2437552.jpg

not a combat photo, but still neat:

h935d23c.jpg

A Jeff Gordon KV-85, hadn't seen that one! :laugh:

A few more photos from today, my fingers are tired of texturing welds. :frantic

h2d6c1cd.JPG

Silver solder glued to cupola with Dr Mike's thin CA.

h547d6a7.JPG

h07295a6.JPG

h03a60ce.JPG

It seems I always have a #11 blade that is missing the point, it's my favorite tool for texturing the weld bead.

h5054273.JPG

hb159f00.JPG

Just keep marking marks across the solder until you like it, don't cut through the solder though or you'll say bad words. :rotf Special thanks again to Mr T for sharing this tip long ago. :notworthy

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! Thanks for coming by!

Mike I wanted to Ask if you remember where you picked up that ceramic honeycomb soldering block. I've never done soldering for a kit and it's on my list to start utilizing next year, sort of a resolution as it were.

@Bruce; them reference pictures are Kool. Do you have any more info on the pic below? The barrel looks like a German installed "thingy...88ish"

Thanks guys! Eric, we got the ceramic block thru Amazon, it comes with tapered metal pins. Google honeycomb ceramic soldering block, several sizes come up. Mine is about 5 x 7. I also bought some ceramic pins, but they are too big for the holes.
:facepalm

We spent the past two days at the in laws, ready to get back to the bench. :frantic

Stay tuned for more mayhem.

@Bruce; them reference pictures are Kool. Do you have any more info on the pic below? The barrel looks like a German installed "thingy...88ish"

That Eric was a generic pic pulled from Google Images. Neat thing about that particular pic is that - that tank appears to be “twice-captured!” Reason I say that, the officers in the foreground are Soviet, yet there is what appears to be a German installed in it! I have to say though, it looks more like a 75mm Pak 40, but I am not up on the WW2 stuff like most guys here

Back