• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Chelle's '63 Split Window Corvette

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
For years, my wife has coveted a 1963 Corvette split window. As much as it pains me, the real version will be beyond our grasp, so I did the next best thing. Starting with the AMT kit, a re-release from the 60's, I set out to build a replica of the car she so loves.

h7ec1111.JPG

I built several of these back about 50 years ago, I forgot what a crummy kit this really is. :gogo

I decided to lower the stance and add larger, more modern style wheels and tires.

h0efc9ef.JPG

Boy, that was a lousy photo!

hae4bf93.JPG

ha31e848.JPG

That looks better to me.

The wheels needed to be adapted to the axle pins, so I used aluminum tubes, nested inside each other to reduce the ID of the mounts.

h81fc429.JPG

h9a6f794.JPG

ha723a9e.JPG

h721485a.JPG

Next up, PAINT!

Thanks for coming by.

:drinks

Chelle's '63 Split Window

So what color are we gonna paint this? What else? Arrest Me Red! Starting with Tamiya Pure Red spray lacquer, I'll walk you through my method for shiny paint. I always use Tamiya primer, gray if I have sanded a lot or done body work, followed by Tamiya white primer. They stink, but the results are consistent and very smooth. If you are satisfied withe the prime coat, wipe everything down, mount the pieces to your paint stand and start shaking the paint, I usually go at least two minutes. :gogo I run the tap water as hot as it will go and fill a large cup, dunk the can in the cup and let it stand about 15 minutes.

h99edc3b.JPG

h49e5063.JPG

h0cb267f.JPG

h6144217.JPG

Custom paint stand. :D

hc5195c1.JPG

The first few coats are going to be quick, light coats and are going to look kinda rough, so resist the urge to hose the thing down. Trust me on this, it's worth building up paint slowly.

hf2fe1b4.JPG

h62a61fb.JPG

I usually hit the underside of the hood first, so it will be dry enough to flip to the top side so it matches the body and I don't have to mask anything.

hb0e5171.JPG

First coat. Now go run more hot water, dunk the can again and set the timer for twenty (20) minutes and go do something else until it rings. :eek:hyeah

Here's what the body looks like after twenty minutes.

ha95b736.JPG

It looks pretty flat and the coverage is there, but thin. The reason to wait is to let the thinner gas out, trapping thinner under paint is bad juju.

h052dae8.JPG

Shoot another light coat, moving in the opposite direction from the first pass. If you went lengthwise first, go across this coat. We're going to alternate every other pass, this is a MUST with kandies or metallics.

h1d79d0a.JPG

Heat the water again, dunk the can, set the timer and go do something else for twenty minutes. :eek:hyeah

h956bdc0.JPG

Another pass.

Pass number 4 is where I start making the coats wetter, just slow down your motion and the paint will build. It takes a little practice to keep things from running, if you do get a run, STOP! Let everything dry a couple days, lightly wet sand the entire body and block sand the run to level it out. This also works if you get orange peel or dirt in the paint.

h1b80b8b.JPG

hed16e27.JPG

ha064c93.JPG

hf94c8ae.JPG

As you can see, there's still a little texture in the final coat, but that polishes right out with a dab of Tamiya Polishing Compound on a flannel rag. More to come! Thanks for coming by!

As promised, the more to come. It's hard to attach a lot of photos in one post without losing one's way. :rotf

The final coats are pretty glossy, but we can do better.

hcadfbc2.JPG

h8d7ee32.JPG

There's a little dust in the hood too, so we'll fix that with the afore mentioned polishing compound.

h8b3dde6.JPG

h511db77.JPG

ha17b343.JPG

With just a little effort, the gloss is really enhanced!

ha67b598.JPG

Next up, CHROME. Thanks for coming by!

You may have noticed, I shaved the door handles and emblems. Anyone who has ever waxed a 60's Chevrolet knows those chrome scripts are a PITA, so let's lose 'em! Much smoother, don't you think?

So, how do we treat the window moldinga and rocker panels? BMF! No, not that BMF, Bare Metal Foil!

h9ef4979.JPG

It's thin adhesive backed foil, that looks like chrome when applied. I use a straight edge, tweezers,new Xacto blades, cotton swabs and tooth picks to apply the foil. Cut a strip wider and longer than what you're covering, peel it off the backing with the tweezers, deep breath and set the foil over the part to be chromed. Rub it in place with the cotton swab, seal the edges with the tooth pick, then trim the excess away with a new Xacto. Easy peasy! Works for interiors too!

h5dba0c9.JPG

hbeeedb3.JPG

h022a4e6.JPG

he809155.JPG

Why did I do all this? Her favorite color is CHROME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AswiBMlGrYU

More to come, thanks for stopping in!

Having some fun now! Maybe some of you are wondering how this is progressing so fast. I have to admit my mojo has been MIA and although I've been at the bench, I haven't been posting any photos. I had been taking pictures along the way thankfully.

So, the big block Chevrolet as we know it wasn't an option until 1965, my girl wants more power, so I pirated a 454 from another unsuspecting AMT kit, added some details and it drops right in.

hb9e4b46.JPG

h197825e.JPG

h0eb2ba7.JPG

h8533df4.JPG

Final assembly yields a pretty, potent street machine.

h050f826.JPG

h288264a.JPG

There you have it, Chelle's '63! Here's to you, my love! :drinks

:ro:

Until next time, drive it like you stole it!

Last edited:

BMF! Ha! I LIKE IT!! Very nicely executed!
The Red Wallet?

Pretty cool Mike. (y)

Did you use those special IPMS lighting effects to find flaws in the paint ? :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

You know I have an extra special pen light I reserve for special situations. :D

Really nice, maybe now I know how to do a black base for a NMF paint job. :notworthy

Great job Mike! (y) (y)

Also one of my favorite cars but even if I could afford it at 6'3" and 220 lbs it wouldn't be the most practical choice. :(

Nice job of the Corvette Mike,

I began building the old AMT cars back in the mid-1950s. I used rattle cans then and have ever since. I can get a much glossier finish with them than with an airbrush. You build cars exactly like I do, BMF and all. You're right, the kits are not to today's standards, but the bodies are good replicas.

Gotta love those red Corvettes!!

Bob

Sweet (y)

Great job Mike! (y) (y)

Also one of my favorite cars but even if I could afford it at 6'3" and 220 lbs it wouldn't be the most practical choice. :(

Oh I think you could stretch out pretty good in one of those........and it was not meant to be practical except in a fun sort of way :frantic

Back