• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

15cm Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33 The Start!

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
15cm Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33 COMPLETE!

Hello armor fans! This is a kit I've been wanting to build for several years now, blame it on Unca Tony! This hot rod shoe box on tracks packs a 15cm punch, it's going to be loaded down and ready to rumble. Let's get started!

IMG_9048.JPG

IMG_9049.JPG

The box is chock full of parts, Dragon included many of the missing parts from previous issues, so we ought to be able to build it from the box, but why do that???? :eek:hyeah

Our build is going to be nose heavy, so we need to modify the suspension to get it to sit just right.

Start by installing the rear swing arms at the stock position.

IMG_9050.JPG

This is the stock height locating pin, we need to remove that. I clipped it close with the sprue cutter, then finished it with the Dremel and a flat ended burr.

IMG_9052.JPG

The rest of the suspension installs so all the arms and wheels touch the ground, you'll have to remove the backing pins, but there's enough surface area for gluing.

IMG_9053.JPG

As you can see on the box art, the vehicle has a downward rake and ours should look HEAVY! :D

:drinks

Last edited:
Yep, all on Unca Tony! :laugh:

So the poor unsuspecting road wheels were just sitting there, minding their own bidness when I breaks out the Dremel!

IMG_9057.JPG

This is actually a Dremel drywall bit, but it works well for damaging road wheels!

IMG_9058.JPG

Tapping the bit against the wheel, while rotating the wheel will rough them up well. I also make some cuts in the "rubber" with a sharp X-Acto to randomize things.

Next up, photo etch! Dragon includes some really nice etch parts, let's make that exhaust deflector.

IMG_9060.JPG

I have a scrap of clear acrylic as part of my etch cutting set, doesn't dull the blade and really supports the etched parts.

IMG_9061.JPG

Once the part is off the tree, hit the nubs with a file.

Deflector in the bending tool. Make sure you have the lines where you want them and slide the wedge under the part.

IMG_9063.JPG

Pull up easy on the orange wedge until you get the desired angle, the TLAR method works well here!

IMG_9064.JPG

Here's what the afternoon looked like at the bench.

IMG_9065.JPG

IMG_9066.JPG

Am I excited? You betcha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv0B-DLtMiM

Thanks for dropping by!

Before you get too far, you may want to check your references re the lower hull side escape hatches. Not sure they should be there. (y)

Way cool. This is one I really want to do. I haven't popped for one yet for some reason. Might have to fix that. Watching with interest Mike :D
James

I have the old version of this kit sitting on the shelf of doom. It was in the process of an aftermarket/kitbash correction fest when it got caught up in a house move and never came out again. However I recently bought an excellent base that will be perfect for this beastie....

I'all be watching!
:popcorn

Will be a keen observer of this one Mike.
I too, had the old version sitting built but unloved.
Decided to finish her off to sit on the Dio I had going for my flak that passed away.
Is a groovy looking box.
Does the new one have both of the storage boxes on the back?
Pete

Hey guys, many thanks! This kit has both stowage boxes and has quite a few of the parts that were lacking in the old orange box kit (I have that one too). Break them out and let's party! (y)

Hello friends! What an ugly week just ended! No bench time, too much going on at work and we had a cold snap to boot! :sick: I sought some advice and did some research on the escape hatches and came up with not much. :laugh:
These vehicles were generally based on the B through E models, but I did find one with escape hatches in German Sturmartilliere At War Vol 2.

IMG_9081.JPG

Most of the photos of actual vehicles I found didn't clearly show the answer, so I erred on the side of caution and ground them off and filled the lines.

IMG_9080.JPG

The Great Disappearing Escape Hatch!

So moving on to the next steps, the instruction sheet contradicts itself (go figure!) Parts B25 and 26 are shown, but do are not labelled that way on the sprues.

IMG_9080.JPG

IMG_9070.JPG

IMG_9071.JPG

IMG_9068.JPG

When you look at the sprue layout against the front page of the instruction sheet, things become more confusing as they inverted the numbers again. SO, you just have to know that you use B14 and 15 and the diagram for opening holes in the fenders (Step 8) shows the underside of the parts. Orienting the parts like the instructions helps immensely! Ha!

I added a wire conduit to the tail light and headlights.

IMG_9072.JPG

IMG_9073.JPG

IMG_9074.JPG

IMG_9075.JPG

IMG_9076.JPG

Damn! I just realized I left off one of the rear lights! :blush:

Working my way through the rear deck was less complicated.

IMG_9077.JPG

IMG_9078.JPG

This was hard to photograph, but the wrap around bars on the hull ventilator were a challenge. I managed to get them on without incident.

IMG_9083.JPG

That's what I did on my Sunday off, thanks for dropping by!

Back