• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Roden Opel 3.6-47 DAK Omnibus Kubel Paint 3/5/22

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
When we went to the AMPS show In Columbia, SC a few months ago, a vendor was making some serious deals and somehow I ended up with an Opel Omnibus. :eek:hmy: I have never built a Roden kit, so this will be interesting. Mind you, this is a filler project while it's too hot to paint, so it's going to be mostly, if not all out of the box. I did find some DAK markings at Archer Fine Transfers, but that's about the extent of the modifications (I think). Here's where we are after an afternoon's work.

h4ee7ec3.JPG

h37c88e3.JPG

hd6bc028.JPG

h6191813.JPG

h3e397cf.JPG

Roden's plastic seems to be harder than some, Tamiya Extra Thin Cement isn't quite hot enough for some of the pieces, but the kit seems to be well detailed and fits pretty well so far.

I "borrowed" these from the internet for discussion purposes only.

hcc85f78.jpg

hefd68ad.jpg

Much more to come, thanks for stopping by!

:drinks

Last edited:
Roden Opel 3.6-47 DAK Omnibus

Looks very interesting. What was it? Mobile headquarters? Did you notice all the brush/branches hanging from the roof in the photograph?

Way cool. I havee wondered about these but never tried one. So what you think so far?

Thanks guys! Robert, the buses were used for many different things. I've seen command post photos,as well as,radio versions, troop carriers and ambulances. I haven't completely decided which I'll do, the troop carrier has lots of seats! :pinch:

James, so far the kit fits well and there's not too much flash. There is still the issue of the weird plastic, I use Tamiya Extra Thin for most builds, but have had to resort to the Flexifile Plast-I-Weld to hold some stuff. There are some ejector marks that need attention and the vinyl tires are a question mark. The way the front end is made, one can articulate the steering of the front wheels, which I like very much. On the bummer side, my grille has two broken bars that needed to be repaired. Guess we'll see how this shakes out?

Still in the tropics this AM.

ha32bf15.jpg

Photo found on a Google search and I borrowed it, because I found it funny.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deckarudo/albums/72157623849985189/page2

About four pictures down. Pzkfw III with an Omnibus (not in Africa). I knew nothing about the Omnibus, but they were everywhere.

Wow! There are some good, clear photos there. Thanks for sharing that Robert!

Anyone have any experience painting vinyl tires? These are WAY too black!

Cool! I'll be watching this. :popcorn

Vinyl sucks, good luck with painting the tires. A good enamel base coat will help. Don't use Tamiya primer.

I have a roden bus in the stash. I want to go see if it has vinyl tires now. :sick:

Hey Dave! I just ordered a set of Royal Model resin tires and wheels off Ebay. RE35-375
https://lots-of-models.myshopify.com/search?q=RE35-375
I'm sure there are others out there, but I've had good luck with Royal Models and the seller is one I've bought from before.
B)
Thanks everyone who responded, I appreciate it!

This is looking fantastic so far. I also built one of these in 1/72 scale so I know what you mean about the plastic. Mine also had articulating front wheels, but yours will work better. I believe I made mine as a staff bus with tables inside and such. These are fun. Looking forward to seeing more.

Hello Mike,

It looks like you are off to a good start. I have the same kit in the works. I started replacing the included material for the windows with some more robust clear styrene stock. It has turned into a bit of a chore, because it seems (to me) that I need to carve a groove (rabbet) around each frame to receive (and glue) the new windows. It is clear that my project has been relegated to HRH (her royal highness) status for the time being, but your post motivates me to get back on board. Thanks?

Looking forward to your progress,

Bill

Thread Hijack in progress
whistle.gif

Hello Mike,

It looks like you are off to a good start. I have the same kit in the works. I started replacing the included material for the windows with some more robust clear styrene stock. It has turned into a bit of a chore, because it seems (to me) that I need to carve a groove (rabbet) around each frame to receive (and glue) the new windows. It is clear that my project has been relegated to HRH (her royal highness) status for the time being, but your post motivates me to get back on board. Thanks?

Looking forward to your progress,

Bill

What I find works well is to take either thin stretched sprue or very fine plastic rod and glue it to the frame so the clear piece butts up against it. Inside or outside really doesn't matter and what little, if any, that remains visible appears to be apart of the rubber mounting or frame work.

Regular programming may now resume :drunk

I've got the same kit on the go......looks really good so far Mike (y)

Thats an interesting subject and something I have never built. I'll be following this!

I've also never built a Roden kit. How's the quality?

Bob

Thats an interesting subject and something I have never built. I'll be following this!

I've also never built a Roden kit. How's the quality?

Bob

I can only speak for what I know from 1/72 scale kits, but their quality is fairly good. There is some cleanup of parts needed and some of the more delicate parts are molded very thin and require delicate handling. They do build up into great looking models but always watch your alignment on your suspension and chassis as they can easily go misaligned. Personally, I love Roden kits, despite the difficulty in building some of them.

Everything is looking great Mike, keep it coming!

I have to say, I am very interested n seeing this!

Hey...nothing says BLITZKRIEG quite like a 'partridge family' bus full of Nazis.......

Panzer Art tire and wheel set arrived in today's mail, photos to follow. Thanks for the interest and feedback! (y)

Back