• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon Borgward IV Ausf. A

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
Hello friends! The kit came to me on my trip to Kansas City, MO last month, I had never seen one and the price was right. The Borgward is an odd little duck, roughly based on a kettenkrad and was used for heavy demolition. I found this footage during my research and decided to add the driver's armor plating to mine.

Cute, huh? :laugh:

Here's what I have so far, I was going to do this one for D-Day, but jumped the start date by about a week. :blush:

IMG_6555.JPG

IMG_6556.JPG

IMG_6557.JPG

The kit tracks are a two piece affair, I made a jig by running a saw kerf in a scrap pine 1x6, inverted the track so the tooth was down and snapped two links together, followed by the cleat attached with a drop of CA. The entire length is workable and other than being tedious and small, they went together easily.

IMG_6558.JPG

IMG_6559.JPG

I was going to go straight from the box if the tracks went together well, but the lack of some of the detail bits made me rethink that idea.

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6563.JPG

I could not find any photos of the muffler, so I faked it. :D

IMG_6564.JPG

IMG_6565.JPG

The steering is a handlebar affair, the dash is just painted.

IMG_6574.JPG

IMG_6575.JPG

I found a good shot of the rear of an actual vehicle, so I added a tail light and wiring, made the clamps from flattened solder.

IMG_6576.JPG

More shots of the exterior prior to the fenders going on.

IMG_6577.JPG

IMG_6578.JPG

IMG_6579.JPG

IMG_6580.JPG

IMG_6581.JPG

IMG_6582.JPG

Into the paint booth!

IMG_6583.JPG

IMG_6584.JPG

IMG_6585.JPG

IMG_6586.JPG

The color is Tamiya Dark Yellow lightened with a couple drops of Tamiya Deck Tan, the stripes are Tamiya XF 79 Linoleum Deck Brown with a drop of the base color.

IMG_6587.JPG

IMG_6588.JPG

I got the tracks painted, going to weather them and the lower hull before installing. Good to be back at the bench, got too many started to run this slow! :laugh:

:drinks

Fantastic Mike. Really awesome work. You going to make the control tank or Stug for it also? Would be a cool pair.
James

Thanks, guys, you are too kind! There are several StuG kits in my stash, might wait for Dr John's campaign for that. Hoping to knock this one out and get back on my King Tiger.

That's really cool Mike! Wouldn't you just love to have one of those to play with.

Terry B)

Very nice. And I love what you did for assembling the tracks. Something like that would have made the track work on my M-46 so much easier. I'll have to do that the next time I go to my moms place.

WOW !!!! :cheer: Great work Mike on a older kit !!! Wish i have had remembered that you were doing this one as i have the Schiffer book that has some pics of this little beastie !!!

Very nice work on the camo. What an interesting little vehicle this is and its great its being built in model form.

Matrixone

Thanks to all for replying, this has been a fun little build so far. There are some bits and pieces missing, so this morning I made some tow shackles. They are quite small and it took some thought to figure out the sequence to make them. Tell me what you think.

The implements of destruction.

IMG_6593.JPG

I used .015 silver solder and cut a length (eyeballed it), wrapped it around my mandrel (call her Barbara :pinch: )like so.

IMG_6594.JPG

IMG_6595.JPG

Chop off the excess.

IMG_6596.JPG

As we say in the South, mash the ends flat. :laugh:

IMG_6597.JPG

I pushed the ends up toward the loop to get the right shape.

IMG_6598.JPG

Here's the tricky part. I used my scriber to mark my drill point and drilled a hole for my pin.

IMG_6599.JPG

The pin was made from brass wire, with one end mashed flat. I could have drilled it out too, but my close vision wasn't working well this morning.

IMG_6590.JPG

IMG_6589.JPG

IMG_6600.JPG

IMG_6592.JPG

Yeah, I know...

And that from a guy who is struggling with his eyesight!
Extra bonuspoints for you,Mike! (y) :notworthy

Greetings,Ron.

Really cool little vehicle Mike. Glad you're finally able to get some bench time in .

Cool paint job and a great idea for the home made shackles :woohoo:

Cheers, Christian B)

been watching this since you started Mike and I have to say I'm impressed with all, especially the metal work- where did you find the mandrel? The local jewelry shop down the street doesn't have one! Thanks CR

The paint sure looks grainy in those close ups, come on filters! The mandrel came from Micro Mark, circa Who Knows When? http://www.micromark.com/bending-mandrel,9896.html

Two more to go, then filters and such. :laugh:

Thanks to all for the comments! :drinks

Back