• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Wespe Finally Finished!

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
Hello friends! It's been a long time since I have had a build in this section, so in honor of the renaming to Armoured Fury, here's my Wespe. This is an older Tamiya kit, seems like it came out in 1996, so it's going to need a few improvements along the way. The morning started with filters on my two Campaign builds and then on to the Wespe.

IMG_5981.JPG

IMG_5982.JPG

I purchased this kit last spring for $10 and found some additional parts and pieces along the way, including a set of Modelkasten tracks (raffle prize) and a Verlinden driver's compartment. I recently bought the RB Model 10.5cm L/28 barrel, what a gem!

IMG_5983.JPG

IMG_5984.JPG

The gun required surgery to make the barrel fit, but sure looks like it will be worth the extra effort.

IMG_5986.JPG

IMG_5988.JPG

IMG_5990.JPG

The hull is typically Tamiya and fits with little issues.

IMG_5985.JPG

The Verlinden driver's compartment is well detailed, although most of it won't be seen. The mailman brought my package from AK Interactive around 2:30, so I decided to try their Worn Effects Fluid. Water based and quick drying, I sprayed two coats as directed over my rather thin layer of red oxide primer (the can is dying and spray pattern sucked!)

IMG_5991.JPG

IMG_5992.JPG

IMG_5993.JPG

When the Worn Effects was dry, two light coats of AK's RAL9001 Cremeweiss over the parts. This is a lighter shade than most interior paints and sprayed very well straight from the bottle.

IMG_5994.JPG

IMG_5995.JPG

IMG_5997.JPG

IMG_5998.JPG

IMG_5999.JPG

The instructions say to let the top color dry, I waited about 15 minutes and then wet the surface with water. Using a flat brush and a toothpick, I removed some of the color, making the interior look worn.

IMG_6000.JPG

IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_6002.JPG

IMG_6003.JPG

Overall, I liked the way the AK Worn Effects works, it goes on smoother than hairspray and dried really fast. I'll add some of the AK Interior Wash on my next session, more detail painting of the accessories and then button up the hull. Stay tuned, thanks for looking!

:drinks

Last edited:
Wow! :woohoo: Beautiful work Mike!!!

This will be very interesting to watch! :ro:

All the best!!!
Dusan.

Looks great,Mike! (y)

I used the Worn Effects on my T-34 and am very pleased with it as well,it beats the usual hairspray technique. :)

Greetings,Ron.

Dear friend Mike.

...your works are going better and better...love the chipping and scratchs effects...my congratulations :dude

...very inspiring also... :soldier

Luiz.

Re: Tamiya Wespe Interior Update

Hello friends! Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate the feedback! Lots of detail painting over the last two days, most of it never to be seen again, but why should the fly boys have all the fun??

Here's the driver's compartment all painted up.

IMG_6004.JPG

IMG_6005.JPG

I was using Wespe In Detail by Wings and Wheels Publications as a reference, borrowing a little here and there.

IMG_6006.JPG

IMG_6007.JPG

After my first post, it was pointed out to me that I had gotten carried away and painted the fighting compartment the same color as the interior. Oops! :blush: In my excitement about the new color, I blew it! SO, I reshot the primer color and repeated the process, this time with AK Interactive's Dunkelgelb Base.

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_6009.JPG

I also got some of the new AK Interactive AK711 Chipping Color, yep, chips in a bottle! I used a scrap of sponge to apply some chips to the interior, I like the color even if it is the lazy way out. :laugh:

The lower hull.

IMG_6010.JPG

I made a cable for the Notek light, running it to a block of styrene bar.

IMG_6011.JPG

I did some additional painting on some of the miscellaneous parts, hoping to get it closed up this week. Thanks for checking in and a BIG THANK YOU to my mentor for keeping me straight! :notworthy

Hey Now would you look at that boys and girls,all painted up and lookin good. (y)

Mike have you ever notice some of the sprue gates have a little domed end on them? They make great wiring terminals. hint hint

Go Go Go dude
Tony lee :)

Very cool Mike . Just might have to try that AK stuff . I see no reason it would not work on aircraft.

Cheers, Christian B)

Re: Tamiya Wespe Interior Update

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the feedback! I've spent the morning making interior details. The museum piece is devoid of the extras, found some drawings showing another version.

Resin packs from an old Verlinden stowage set.

IMG_6012.JPG

Radio cabling and clips.

IMG_6015.JPG

I left one of the ammo lockers open, just for fun.

IMG_6016.JPG

I fed the carpet monster. :vmad Had to scratch build the tail light shield and source a tail light from the spares box.

IMG_6013.JPG

IMG_6017.JPG

I think I have the painting sequence figured out, will need to work out a way to mask the interior for the final paint. Fun, fun, fun! B)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Back