• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Czech Model 1/32 Brewster F2A-3 Buffalo

Jeeves

Starter upper pics:
IMG_20170601_170232050-1024x576.jpg

IMG_20170601_170255145-1024x576.jpg

Yup that is the kit I have Mike! I will be watching closely! Also have some found reference info I can share if you need it.

:popcorn

Thanks Paul...I have one or two books to look through...but yes more might be helpful- thanks! There's only the one Midway scheme for the USMC but it looks pretty fine and the decals seem to be in great shape. Was given this kit by a friend and mine had two sets of PE...is that standard per the kit I wonder?

Cool beans, Mike! I built a stick-and-tissue rubber power version years ago- a great flyer. I have plenty of ref as well- you need but ask.

Thank you Chuk-- much appreciated! Plenty easy to see what I am doing with this scale anyways ;)

My kit has a small bag of resin parts and one fret of photo etch. Looks like the PE is instrument panel, seat belts, and other stuff that isn't readily I.D.ed on a quick look. There is also a piece of film with black printing that you are supposed to paint the back of it white.

Not sure what a second set of PE could be unless it was a goof up.

And I also am going to say thanks Chuck as I will possibly be asking for some info when I get to mine.

Yeah I did some studying of the destructions and there are two sets of belts for the two different variants you can model in the kit as well as different​ panels... apparently the two had some slight variations in the smaller panels so take note which one is which between the F2A-3 and 339-23 models. The other parts are to create bomb racks and some sort of trough that juts out front to the left of the seat...

Painting the white behind the film seems to work pretty well- and this was done with the AC Moore version of white craft paint
IMG_20170603_094419570-768x1365.jpg

I am not overly thrilled with how the black came out on the panel front...guess the Modem Master flat black was drying up on me...might use that other set of PE to redo it....
IMG_20170603_094533148-1024x576.jpg

OK...so the books I thought I had on hand are crap...the one I have on Pacific fighters only gives a cursory overview...figured the In Detail & Scale coverage would be more thorough but since it covers all of them instead of focusing on just a few, the coverage is more vast for the more popular fighters like the Grumman birds and such...understandable and frustrating ;)

I did find these for playing around with some detail:
F2A-2right.jpg

F2A-2left.jpg

F2A-2front.jpg

bw372dash.jpg

My kit only seemed to have one set of PE. Not going to worry about it at this point.

I have some more photos like those you posted Mike.

The Kagero book I'd pretty good. Their line drawings are great and they clearly point out the differences made as the plane was developed.

Ok...first question as I'm jumping around building some different subassemblies. The front and back engine halves have teeny pins that line up so that the cylinders line up offset of each other....but pics I've looked up seem to show just one set of cylinders...so should I just ignore the pins?

Back