• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

NakaJima B5N2 KATE

iambrb

OK this is going to be my entry, this is a placeholder only, on 6/1 I will show the date and all that as proof I did not start!

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/3/3/2/691332-15610-75-pristine.jpg

Aifix 1/72 scale B5N2 kate

I am going to go OOB, but am likely going to shoot for doing it in the folded wing version

Its supposed to be one fantastic little kit that (y)

I HOPE IT WILL PROVE OUT TO BE!

I was going to go with the Hasegawa which was all of $9 USD, this is 2.5x that! However an online research all claimed this to be far and away the best kit out there, I wanted one with a bit of detail to it.

On a side note I need new glasses, so this will prove out the new bifocals I am sure to be getting!

here is the one I am thinking of going with:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=155708&d=1422151906

As it is documented as having gotten a hit on a US Carrier

NakaJima B5N2 KATE - RESURRECTED!!!!

Well i took awhile...but I am finally ready to start! here is a pic o' da' box and my 'start' pic showing nothing has begun:

h853d8b7.JPG

h4c58e54.JPG

This wil be totally OOB, and I pretty sure I am going to build it wings folded, torpedo equipped!

NakaJima B5N2 KATE - RESURRECTED!!!!

Well I sure know why these new-generation Airfix models are so popular! This is the easiest buildup, and the detail is incredible!!!!

SO Like I say, I decided to go with the 'folded wing' option, so it was off to surgery:

here, you can see the patient took the surgery very well.

h0c136f8.JPG

After that, it was simply a matter of building up the two halves. Airfix provides you with the internal wing ribbing. Special note here - this have distinct hinges built into them, so it will look proper once you have it built, not just stock together. so you have to take care to make sure you get the right

h0c55dd7.JPG

A really nice detail adde is that the flaps are positionable, and I chose to make them both offset ever so slightly.

Next was the interior. One neat thing about the plane is that the floor of the aircraft is builting into the lower wing! this makes installing and getting all the detail inthere easy. I painted it Pollyscale Russian green (shhh....). Almost seems a shame to seal up the plane and lose all that detail

h6776a79.JPG

My DELL 'puter (NEVER BUY A DELL!!!) loads super slow and kicks me off, so have to upload these pics and all in several stages, sorry! here is a nbit more detail on the interior of the plane

h66e4076.JPG

The sides of the plane fit so very-very well, there is little fitting needed!

h013f89a.JPG

the above pic is when it was just press-fit together! I had one 'hump' underneath that I thinkw as totally me, otherwise, once glued, she looked great

h9094162.JPG

Lastly you can see the tail and I think the flaps installed. All of this is positonable, and the detial is just neato-mosquito. I tried in that last pic to show the the props on the torpedo ar molded offset, that iis the level of detail we are talking about here!

h153fec4.JPG

hc827ba8.JPG

Whelp, that is it for today, as I ahve an old school chum in the hospital, so told him I would come by and aggravate him for awhile. 'Till next time!

NakaJima B5N2 KATE - COMPLETE!

Got a bit more done! As you can see, I have elected to go for the 'Wings Folded' version of this aircraft. Takes noting more than a sharp knife to cut them apart, as the lines are pre-scored!

I did not properly mask the black portion of the nose cone, so still have to do that, but otherwise, besides some basic cleanup, I am really rolling along with this one!

hff6ad93.JPG

h9db4419.JPG

h04e0e8b.JPG

Next up is the cockpit & the 'fish' (torpedo), then on to final assembly!

NakaJima B5N2 KATE - FINISHED!

COMPLETE!!!!!

What a great kit! Minimal sanding/filling, easy assembly, only issues were caused by me!

h526e9fc.JPG

h527eee2.JPG

hbd67911.JPG

h408e014.JPG

h4e510c6.JPG

h6893ab1.JPG

h5d47754.JPG

h4e510c6.JPG

Back