• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Smuggler Submarine

Rhino

Super Moderator
h3ba2e00.JPG

Box of old airplane model parts. Too much, perhaps unstructured time on my hands.
Scratch building Model Mojo on an all time High! Plenty of evergreen bits and sanding sticks about.

he156a42.JPG

Filler on old drop tank half with styrene & C/A glue, sanding, shaping and smiling.
Will I make just one?! Friends, You KNOW I almost never do!
This little Boat should give law enforcement fits! Run inshore, surface, unload, motor off back to deep water.

Recent history with selling the kits I make demonstrates that I am NOT tuned into what resin waterline will sell, but I'm determined to do it nevertheless!!
Busy Hands are happy hands!

h94db637.JPG

hbd20517.JPG

Today's progress. I'm still not happy with how much of her hull is above water yet. More wet sanding!
Seems fitting for a submarine.

Thanks for looking in!
:salute :captain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7IyijkgdhA

And lots of interesting plastic bits on hand! Thanks Dave!!

h7b1371a.JPG
Sanded & shaped enough to be less pointy and ride at the proper waterline for an unloaded Rum Runner, ballast tank vents scribed in. Final dark blue of 3-tone camouflage going on. I added a mount for a 20mm Oerlikon cannon forward, "You got to carry weapons 'cuz you always carry cash." There's only one search periscope, as no torpedo tube are fitted. Soviet style passive sonar mounted on Her fin and ultra high frequency mine hunting sonar to avoid obstacles close in shore.

hdb528a8.JPG

h61f6f01.JPG

She has no name and carries no markings. Her Argentinian builders nick-named Her "Monstruo marino". Her Columbian owners call Her "El Lucro". I do not believe the Columbian name has a Biblical connotation.

hd88bb42.JPG

A USCG HP6M-5WR CoastMaster gets an odd return on Her search radar and swoops in to investigate.
"What the hell is THAT! Swing her around, Williams, fire up the cameras. Let's make another pass and call this in!
."

h9dca1bb.JPG

h3b010ff.JPG

I think this camo scheme is going far enough. Ocean Ambush (?!?) gloss coat & washes coming up.
She isn't very fast and handles poorly on the surface. Not a whole lot of wake to worry about.

looks like a plausible scheme, after all. The USAF tried to paint cockpits on the underside of aircraft once.

h6c05c13.JPG

1/700 waterline Sneaky Smuggler Submarine, Finished. I didn't add the 20mm. She'll submerge in RTV pretty soon!
Yes my Friends! You too may have a 1/700 Submarine Smuggler of your very own!
Soon. Very Soon.
Thanks for all the nice comments!
:salute
:eek:ldguy
:skipper

This rocks man! You truly do know how to make something from nothing! This is amazing! I gotta start picking up some TLAR kits!

Back