• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Northrop N-3PB (MPM) - Finished!

sharkman

Master at Arms
An oldie but should be fun!

This will be a quick run to see what i'm in for with the big brother kit!

he0a2ae7.jpg

it's going to require a lot of clean up of the parts. Lots of injection stubs and heavy sprue gates

hf77daa6.jpg

was able to clean up most of the parts and got a few sub-assemblies together for a start.

h2c2aa41.jpg

Northrop N-3PB (MPM)

Hi Warren

Never seen this one built before. Should be interesting :D

Don't place too much faith in what you're building ( short runs ) They really vary a lot . I think a it has a lot to do with the time period when the mold were made and the type of goo they used to make it with .

Good luck. Christian B)

Northrop N-3PB (MPM)

That looks to a bit more of a challenge than the Special Hobby version I've got in the stash. :popcorn

Cheers,
Rich

Northrop N-3PB (MPM)

Hi Warren

Never seen this one built before. Should be interesting :D

Don't place too much faith in what you're building ( short runs ) They really vary a lot . I think a it has a lot to do with the time period when the mold were made and the type of goo they used to make it with .

Good luck. Christian B)

Thanks christian! The struts for the floats are going to take some work. not going to be a tamiya kit!

Northrop N-3PB (MPM)

Thanks Bob, Dave and Rich!

making some more progress, I assembled the wing tonight and had a lot of mold boogers to deal with on the underside of the wing.

h0017e5a.jpg

got the floats together as well, they will require some sanding and fill but have some PE additions

h954983e.jpg

the wing is together but will require some fill and sanding too. this required a lot of sanding and filing to get them to fit ok. lots of test fitting too.

h41d1683.jpg

h87834af.jpg

Northrop N-3PB (MPM)

The boogers are pretty normal case . It likely comes from over use of the molds but I see them on most of those type kits .

I feel your pain .

Cheers, Christian B)

Northrop N-3PB (MPM)

Thanks guys!

Been working on this the past week. I taped the body together to check the fit and it is going to need a lot of work!

he95a052.jpg

got the floats together and place some lead fishing weights in to offset the balance. these need some serious filling too

h4e3f4ae.jpg

the interior was better than other 1/72 kits I've seen but there was still no ribbing to speak of so I made some with some Evergreen

hc491736.jpg

This lit was nice in that it came with a small PE fret with the IP and some film

h2a0a29e.jpg

came out pretty good

hc97529a.jpg

rest of the cockpit

hbea70ea.jpg

h2535c4e.jpg

ha1cd2ff.jpg

there were parts supplied for the 4 main guns but I decided to drill them out and use some needles for barrels

h8d3eda9.jpg

got the wings on and the fuse together, lots of fit issues, sanding and filling

h5e76cd2.jpg

you can see the major gaps by the wing roots

ha971b48.jpg

most of the sub assemblies together

hbc0a365.jpg

Northrop N-3PB (MPM)

Engine painted, body ready for prep before painting.

h1c3d019.jpg

Time to polish this turd!!!

Northrop N-3PB (MPM)

Very nice progress Warren. As stated much earlier , I still feel your pain . These things are never easy builds but you always feel good when you finally
succeed . :drinks

Cheers, Christian B)

Northrop N-3PB (MPM)

Thanks guys! I seem to always be down to the last couple day with my builds!

Been at this one almost every evening this week and should be able to finish it up by end of day tomorrow.

Got the PE on the floats but replaced the forward cleats because i lost the PE ones

h2560bbf.jpg

Got the vac canopy cut out, gave it a dip in future, and then added a plethora of little tape squares!

h12c9b26.jpg

Canopy attached!

h71686db.jpg

started the painting. The bottom is Model Master sky, the grey is Xtracrylix dark slate grey

h3d0dba8.jpg

For the green, I tried Model master Euro dark green, but it looked a little too green

h044f586.jpg

so I used Tamiya deep green instead. I kept the floats off for painting to make my life easier.

hf0cfeaa.jpg

Floats attached!

h5c8b7f0.jpg

h3925044.jpg

and stickers on! These old decals were a pain to work with but they eventully settled out.

hc8447bd.jpg

Back