• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 & 1/700 USCG 41-Foot Utility Boat

Rhino

Super Moderator
h534db7b_2018-03-21.JPG

Got started!

h14282c8.JPG

Basic hull & deck house shapes.

h32d0de7.JPG

Winches & other details. These little boats were the unsung workhorses of the USCG. They didn't have names, just hull numbers that started with 41 and their home coast guard station on the stern. If memory serves, the final 41 to retire was in Grand Haven MI (I've actually been there) just a few years ago. The 41 UTB first went to work in 1975. A rugged, reliable, little Boat! Enough power to tow a disabled fishing boat or to run flat-out, even in HORRIBLE sea-states at Her top speed of 26 knots.

hef3914c.JPG

Black Sharpie on the bow, to make getting the shape "just so" easier to see! :drinks

h9a22cec.JPG

Faithful Waldron punch set makes hatches. Sanding part of the round disc makes the oval hatch! :bang head

h6c67ea1.JPG

With my dividers, ruler & calculator close at hand, It is much more efficient to make both scales at the same time!
No Men, I'm not making a full-hull version of the US Coast Guard 41 UTB in either scale at this time!
I'm not so selfish I'll make just one of each. I know not every modeler is interested in USCG subjects, but I'll womp up a few more, just in case!

Thanks for looking in!! :salute

hc5591b0.JPG

Once I swore after the full hull 82, I wouldn't do lower hulls. Based on the pleasing curved lines and simple utility of this project, The TLAR research dept. suggests making the 1/350 41 a lower-hull plate. :bangs hea
h03c727c.JPG

So I encouraged Production to make it so. The USS Alabama Museum in Mobile, Alabama has a USCG 41 on a trailer on display in their facility.
h94752cb.JPG

Shafts, bearings & rudders going forward. The 1/350 waterline 41 UTB is mounted on her molding base as well.

h356c363.JPG

Just because She's small, doesn't mean TLAR will scrimp on details for the 1/700 version. AND I learned a new trick to apply tiny p/e hatches! :yipee

(TIP! Flatten the end of a toothpick moisten the flat end. Surface tension holds the bitty p/e part to the toothpick! A little smear of Future, and stick it down.)
Springtime is Molding season!

Thanks for looking in!! :salute

h29ef468.JPG

One should never waste space in a mold! It's been a lousy weather day here. Rain/Snow/Ice mix.
It has been a fine day for Modeling! USCG 41 UTB's, 1/350 32-foot lobster boat, 1/700 110 foot freezer trawler, dingy, and retooled USCG 25 RB-S boat.

I have a lot of projects going on.
I've been eyeing my 1/700 USS Clamagore, SS-343 and considering scribing Her main deck.
After that I could fit Her brake lights. :rotf
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-reg-clamagore-update-20171120-story.html

Next work on USS Tigerfish, SSN-509, which oddly enough is the same class of US Navy submarine as the Gray Ghost of the Florida Coast, sans the mine-finding PUFFS sonar.

That set will include a 1/700 Martin P6M-5 SeaMaster jet seaplane, to commemorate the 1950's US Navy program to experiment with refueling recon flying boats from submarines. Not unlike the DKM in WWII, but FASTER!!
Noisier too!!

Wow dude ! :blink You really have a fixation with small objects, which by the way contradicts other pictures that you have posted :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

We, all of us have our quirks, don't you agree? :idonno
There is every possibility I may be more contrary than I once expected. :hmmm
I molded Mold #3 for the 1/350 WPB tonight INSTEAD of casting 41's.
I have no expectation of a Micro-Modeler's Month ribbon.

Rest assured, my Friends, I am underway upon a glassy Sea. Making fine headway.
Having sailed off the Chart I have no idea whence I am bound. Lost, but making good time!
:yipee :rotf :eek:ldguy :pilot :salute

h714e048.JPG

h0434103.JPG

First casting of the USCG 41 UTB set. I am well pleased with how the molds produce. Even the 1/700 41 is crisp and nicely shaped!
This was a divided mold in a single box. These little clear plastic containers ROCK!
During construction of the Master with all the different colors & compounds used to shape, highlight and sand, it isn't easy to appreciate the lines of this little Coast Guard workhorse!

The 110 foot Freezer Trawler was in there too!
TLAR Models. The Esoteric from The Eccentric!

ha2f9732.JPG

Courtesy of the Deck Officer at US Coast Guard Station Destin, which is actually on Okaloosa Island Florida.
Detail pictures of their gate guardian 41' UTB
h5007789.JPG

hfebe0f2.JPG

h41c8d95.JPG

hb6abad1.JPG

h3284383.JPG

hc41562d.JPG

had6ea4a.JPG

h22f513a.JPG

Some years back, My Uncle Gene and some interested kids were guests at US Coast Guard Station Destin.
In the foreground is a 36' Motor Lifeboat. At the next berth, through the open space is the 41' UTB, in Her heyday, ready for action!

While I was there, AJ's Oyster Bar burned to the ground on Okaloosa Island.

h7aa4160.JPG

It smelled like the Line-dance class at the retirement home had caught fire. From Fort Walton Beach the smoke was still visible.
:sick: :stinker

Back