• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Oh No, an Airacuda!

jeaton01

I messed up and started it yesterday without a picture, but it's the Valom kit. Pictures to follow.

Here are some photos of this gem. Definitely short run, it's a surprise when something fits so far. The plastic is thick and soft most places, except where it is too thin. Surprisingly the clear parts are pretty good.

001yfm1.jpg

The parts map. Resin and PE is included.
002yfm1.jpg

The decals look pretty good except the Y on Army is incomplete.
003yfm1.jpg

A lot of test fitting and plastic removal here.
004yfm1.jpg

The trailing edge of the wing or the leading edge could be matched, but not both. Easier to fix the leading edge.
005yfm1.jpg

The kit had exhaust outlets on both sides of each nacelle, but the real thing only had them on the outside, and the inside pipes were routed inside the cowl to the other side.
006yfm1.jpg

Resin inserts were supplied to fit in the wheel wells. The instructions showed them all internal between the wing skins but that was never going to happen. I filed down the top side until it was wafer thin or less, then enlarged the holes in the lower wing so the resin could fit through, then sanded it to match.
007yfm1.jpg

008yfm1.jpg

009yfm1.jpg

Both sides now. The exhaust pipes have been tapered from the front to back as on the real thing, the kit had them as a constant cross section.
010yfm1.jpg

The transparencies installed. Not a great fit but I have hopes of hiding the worst of it.
011yfm1.jpg

012yfm1.jpg

Limited run kits are always a challenge John. Looks like you are mastering it and beating it into shape. Definitely and interesting subject.

I_LIKE_IT.jpg

I've heard that if it's easy everyone would be doing it. :popcorn

Very strange aircraft and concept. Looking forward to this. :pilot

Yes, it does but I'm not putting them in because near as I can tell only wooden mockups were ever installed and I think they spoil the look of the airplane. The guns in the kit are not too good anyway.

Interesting idea . Bell designers did not believe in coloring within the lines .

Will be happy to see one of these get build .

Cheers, Christian B)

A progress report. I think this has more window panes than an He-111. I photographed the model and made masks with the Cameo, even though I'll most likely never do another. I don't think I could do a very good job with an exacto knife and strips of tape, and it likely would have taken the same amount or more time. There's been a fair amount of stretched sprue and filler expended on this one, and some carving to boot. There will still be some rough spots but if you want an injected kit of the Airacuda this is the only stop. I've been sticking together the Airfix P-51D while I've been doing the Airacuda so I guess I could claim two entries for MMM.

013yfm1.jpg

014yfm1.jpg

Back