• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MMM-2020 Do335 B-6 Nightfighter

Heavens Eagle

OK, I just couldn't bring myself to work on the Ju-52. I also have been needing to clean up my guest bedroom where the stash is located. I had something like 50 kits sitting on the twin bed in there. (no way someone could sleep on it) and had a bunch of stuff stacked all around. I knew there were at least a couple of 1/72 scale plane kits "someplace" in all the boxes.

Found this little beastie in one of my big boxes and knew it was the one! So the ancient Ju-52 is back in the stash and I will get started on this one probably tomorrow.

MMM-2020-Do335-01.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-02.jpg

This will also work as a pre-test before building the 1/32 HK kit I picked up a short time back.

New ribbon and my Ju-52 build placeholder.

There sure is a strange fascination about ribbons on this web site :facepalm

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks for looking in Luiz and Gary!

I built up the front engine tonight and started looking into parts fit. (basically, the fit sucks)

There are no locators for any of the interior parts. It is a "They go here" .... "someplace"..... "kind of like this".... (I think). Plus I already found one big incorrect item in the instructions. They show the yoke for the nose gear being placed in the wrong place.

One funny thing I found were the main gear tires had Dunlop printed on them. :hmmm I don't think Dunlop made tires for the Germans.

On the plus side it should look decent when done. It's just going to take some head scratching to get it there.

Here are some pics:

MMM-2020-Do335-03.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-04.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-05.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-06.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-07.jpg

Paul, this is such a good choice. There is a small Museum not far from here (Villingen-Schweiningen) in which they are restoring an original Do-335. Such a beautiful machine. Will be watching with interest. Good luck my friend.

Cheers

Alex

Heh, the tire master probably came from a British bomber that was the right diameter. I'm hoping your build will get my juices flowing to complete the B-8 that I started way back in the Swanny's models days.

Paul, this is such a good choice. There is a small Museum not far from here (Villingen-Schweiningen) in which they are restoring an original Do-335. Such a beautiful machine. Will be watching with interest. Good luck my friend.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for looking in Alex! So far it is just a fit test on this. I have removed a bunch of the parts from the trees to do so as the instructions are so lousy.

As to the Do-335 in your local museum, that is a NICE surprise! I have seen the one in the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Washington DC and it is quite large and definitely a beautiful design. I think we would all be interested in anything you could find out about the one in your local museum.

Heh, the tire master probably came from a British bomber that was the right diameter. I'm hoping your build will get my juices flowing to complete the B-8 that I started way back in the Swanny's models days.

This one is going to be a challenge, but hope it wets your imagination and gets you fired up! Not planning on doing anything special as the cockpits are closed and the canopies are a bit thick. I am also going to have to come up with something for the decals as the ones in the kit look like they have been given the leaded glass treatment and are full of cracks.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for looking in Alex! So far it is just a fit test on this. I have removed a bunch of the parts from the trees to do so as the instructions are so lousy.

As to the Do-335 in your local museum, that is a NICE surprise! I have seen the one in the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Washington DC and it is quite large and definitely a beautiful design. I think we would all be interested in anything you could find out about the one in your local museum.

Nice start Paul!

I was able to find a picture of that Do 335 online

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g198540-d1871974-Reviews-Internationales_Luftfahrtmuseum-Villingen_Schwenningen_Baden_Wurttemberg.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7

6th row down, second pic in from the left

also this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gooneybird29/6895670634

suggests it is a replica, though some of the parts look like they might be original.

Thanks for the links Warren, it looks like that is just a full size mock up. Not even close to being a real plane. :(

Cheers

Alex

Well hey , grab the camera and go take a lot of pictures . I only have one or two pictures of a real one .

Any info would be valuable .

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi Paul,

The airplane is an hybrid, parts are original and parts are going to be reassembled according to the original plans from the Dornier Museum in Friedrichshafen (also not far from here :dance )

The Website of the Museum is under maintenance but there are some Information and Pictures available under:

http://www.aviationmuseum.eu/Blogvorm/international-luftfahrt-museum-manfred-pflumm/
https://sfg-schwenningen.de/museum/

This is the bird on early stages of reconstruction.

h780634f.jpg

h7150ef6.jpg

Cheers

Alex

Here is another quick update. I did this last night and tonight I assembled the two cockpits and checked on how the front engine fits. I thought it might be needed to mount the flame hider tubes, but that isn't a go. The engine sets way too far inside and since I will not be showing them I have a better and much simpler way to mount the exhausts.

For now here is what has been done so far.

MMM-2020-Do335-08.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-09.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-10.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-11.jpg

MMM-2020-Do335-12.jpg

I will make some cowl flaps from some thin brass and there are little markers left to guide the alignment. They should look a lot better. As to the decals, I looked around online for some 1/72 German night fighter decals and found some for a Bf-110. That should work just fine especially as this is a somewhat fictitious plane. The French had the prototype of this plane but screwed it up taxiing on the ground and then scrapped it.

Back