• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter T-62 Mod. 1962 COMPLETED

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
Modern armor is not my thing, so this is about as new a model anything you'll ever see me build. It was pointed out that the MBT ribbon was made by the late John "Tanktrax" Marcus and I am compelled to finish a build to earn that ribbon. A good friend of mine traded with me for this kit many years ago, he spent some time researching and acquiring parts for it and I was surprised to find the RB Model barrel and MIG Fuel Tank Plumbing parts in the box when I opened it. So, for John and Joey, here's a T-62, affiliation yet to be determined. :drinks

IMG_8024.JPG

IMG_8026.JPG

IMG_8027.JPG

I have some research material and some walk around photos, but any additional help or advice is welcome. Enjoy the ride.

Trumpeter T-62 Mod. 1962

Awesome. Watching with interest. If you are looking for any after market about the only thing I would suggest is the fuel tanks by Legend. http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/leg1253.htm

leg1253.jpg

Not required but a definite improvement.

JAmes

Trumpeter T-62 Mod. 1962

Hey, thanks guys! I have been pecking away at this one on and off, haven't taken time to post the photos until now.
The kit is pretty high quality, not much flash and the seam lines clean up pretty easy. I knocked out the road wheels first, the kit parts have a distinct tread pattern and I couldn't find a photo that shows any left. SO, I whipped out the sanding stick and removed it.

IMG_8028.JPG

IMG_8029.JPG

IMG_8031.JPG

Trumpeter molded the tires separately from black styrene, but I chose to assemble mine and will paint the wheels in place. I may regret that, but I was concerned that I might break a tire while sanding them. :idonno Of course, all my reference photos show damage to the rubber, so a nick here and there with the X-Acto and some bouncing the rasp burr in the Dremel over the tires added to the look I am going for.

IMG_8032.JPG

IMG_8033.JPG

The rest of the hull is pretty straight forward, the parts fit and the instructions are pretty clear.

IMG_8034.JPG

IMG_8035.JPG

IMG_8036.JPG

IMG_8037.JPG

IMG_8038.JPG

Weld beads, gotta have weld beads! I love using silver solder and super glue to make my beads, I cut a section of .015 silver solder to length, wrapped it around the part to be welded, snipped the end and added thin super glue to hold it down. I textured the weld with the tip of my X-Acto and there you go.

IMG_8039.JPG

IMG_8040.JPG

I added a few more of the bits and pieces, then stippled the front with Mr Surfacer 500 to get a coarser texture to the armor.

IMG_8041.JPG

IMG_8042.JPG

IMG_8043.JPG

The original plan was for me to use the kit tracks, but I broke down and ordered a set of Friuls, they should be here sometime this week and we'll stay on track. :laugh: Many more modifications and scratch built details to come, stay tuned.

:drinks

Trumpeter T-62 Mod. 1962

Hey, thanks guys! I have been pecking away at this one on and off, haven't taken time to post the photos until now.
The kit is pretty high quality, not much flash and the seam lines clean up pretty easy. I knocked out the road wheels first, the kit parts have a distinct tread pattern and I couldn't find a photo that shows any left. SO, I whipped out the sanding stick and removed it.

IMG_8028.JPG

IMG_8029.JPG

IMG_8031.JPG

Trumpeter molded the tires separately from black styrene, but I chose to assemble mine and will paint the wheels in place. I may regret that, but I was concerned that I might break a tire while sanding them. :idonno Of course, all my reference photos show damage to the rubber, so a nick here and there with the X-Acto and some bouncing the rasp burr in the Dremel over the tires added to the look I am going for.

IMG_8032.JPG

IMG_8033.JPG

The rest of the hull is pretty straight forward, the parts fit and the instructions are pretty clear.

IMG_8034.JPG

IMG_8035.JPG

IMG_8036.JPG

IMG_8037.JPG

IMG_8038.JPG

Weld beads, gotta have weld beads! I love using silver solder and super glue to make my beads, I cut a section of .015 silver solder to length, wrapped it around the part to be welded, snipped the end and added thin super glue to hold it down. I textured the weld with the tip of my X-Acto and there you go.

IMG_8039.JPG

IMG_8040.JPG

I added a few more of the bits and pieces, then stippled the front with Mr Surfacer 500 to get a coarser texture to the armor.

IMG_8041.JPG

IMG_8042.JPG

IMG_8043.JPG

The original plan was for me to use the kit tracks, but I broke down and ordered a set of Friuls, they should be here sometime this week and we'll stay on track. :laugh: Many more modifications and scratch built details to come, stay tuned.

Friuls.... :bang head

Looks great Mike, glad you found your way back to the bench. :good:

Trumpeter T-62 Mod. 1962

Thanks, guys! Tracks arrived today, off Wednesday and Thursday, so hoping for some bench time.

Mike, I can't take credit for the solder weld bead idea, that was shared with me by someone I used to know.

Step outside the lines, my friends.

Back